Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 06:22:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331782 Posts in 13583 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  World Cup 2014 (starts June 12, kiddies!)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: World Cup 2014 (starts June 12, kiddies!)  (Read 1897 times)
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« on: May 24, 2014, 04:51:44 PM »

Anyone else into it?  It starts next month.  When it comes to sports I prefer to be out playing them than watching.  I can take or leave televised sports, but when it's World Cup time, that's the only time I become an obsessive sports fan. 

I just think it's interesting that World Cup is the only time you can go to an American sports bar and hear nobody rooting for America.  Everyone is a fan of a foreign country's football team (usu. Brazil.)  

I just hope that this year the refs are actually competent and/or they start using instant replays because last time there were just too many BS calls.  I still remember the last cup tourney being a "WTF refs!?!?!?!?!?!" cup.  Japan was totally robbed due to BS cards called on them.  http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=7655.0

Speaking of, Japan is a team I'm keeping my eye on.  Looking at their performance the past two cups, they're shaping up to be a dark horse team.  I don't see them getting any podiums, but they'll probably have some teams on the ropes.  Sure, now you have power players like Brazil, Argentina, Spain, etc. but I can see balance of power eventually shifting.  
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 05:01:14 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 10:46:02 PM »

I'm not into soccer, but I love the nationalism, patriotism, and how insane the fans are.

Case in point:
http://deadspin.com/watch-these-soccer-fans-lay-waste-to-opponents-with-min-1572104472?rev=1399328819&utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 03:09:15 AM »

I'm actively trying to escape the soccer madness that paints our whole country orange, but I don't I'll have much luck this year. I'm going to a big animecon right after the World Cup starts and even they will be showing the Netherlands' and Japan's matches on the big screen.

Oranjekoorts (orange fever) is what we call it.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 05:11:16 PM »

It started this week.  I just watched Netherlands annihilate Spain.  

US has a rough schedule ahead: first 3 games are Ghana, Portugal, and Germany.  

It also seems that FIFA's FINALLY employing some goal-line technology this cup.  After the 2010 cup with all those BS calls, it's about time!

And, like I said, Japan is the team I'm keeping an eye on.  They were a dark horse last time and I want to see what they do now.  I'm also curious to see if any teams can buck the stereotypes I have of them.  Like how England has a stable of the best players, yet they can't play as a team because everyone's a superstar primadonna ball hog.  Or my stereotype that Portugal is a dirty playing team that takes dives left and right.  

EDIT: Cinderella story in the making?  Costa Rica trounced Uruguay and one of Uruguay's players got the first red card of the cup. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 05:09:12 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 04:54:40 PM »

Didja catch Brazil-Mexico today?  Wow, what an exciting game!  Ochoa (Mexico's goalie) was on point!  Every single one of his 7 saves was f'n SWEET!  Fun to watch too.  

EDIT: Belgium- Algeria was not a good game.  It was boring and both teams played really sloppily.  

So far, Russia- South Korea is turning out more interesting than I thought.  Though I have to call shenanigans on that yellow card being pulled on Korea.  
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:55:29 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 09:45:34 AM »

Woo Germany beat Portugal! Not a fan of Ronaldo at all.

I was disappointed that Ghana lost against the US. I have had a soft spot for them ever since the World Cup in Japan. 2002, I think?

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 05:13:03 PM »

Netherlands- Australia was a big surprise.  Considering the Dutch are a powerhouse team and Australia is the lowest ranked in the group, the Aussies put up one hell of a fight.  At one point, I thought they'd actually pull off the upset. 

Chile-Spain was an exciting match.  Chile pulled off the upset, though, and Spain's out of contention. 

Cameroon-Croatia... hmm... I don't know much about those teams or how the result will affect the standings, but I'll watch.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 01:56:34 PM »

Whoa, Cinderella dark horse!  Costa Rica took down Italy and are moving on.  No one ever thought they'd survive the group of death they were in.  And England's out.  Costa Rica's been playing inspired futbol this cup.  
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:49:49 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 02:38:41 PM »

Yeah I'm surprised how quickly Western Europe is getting knocked out of this ---- lots of surprises.

Ah well, there's always another way to take part

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 05:04:57 PM »

With Spain losing multiple matches this early being the biggest surprise (for me). They're considered one of Europe's strongest. I thought the Netherlands beating them by a margin that big was a fluke, but the Chile victory came out of nowhere. Possibly because I'm not a football nut, but still, I can't remember them playing a big part in other world cups. Oh well, good for Chile. Dark horses are fun. I might actually watch the match between them and the Dutch team now (despite both teams being through to the next round).
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 08:02:26 PM »

Holy shit, the USA and Portugal match! Can't imagine how the US must feel having it taken away last minute although it is probably a better result than they were expecting walking in.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 08:30:43 PM »

You know, if you had told me before the games that Spain would be eliminated in the first round, Portugal would be on the ropes in the first round, and in a group featuring Italy, England, Uruguay, and Costa Rica that Costa Rica would emerge as the dark horse leader, then I would have called you out of your flippin' mind. But there it is..

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 08:31:40 PM »

If you told me when this group was drawn that the Germany match would be meaningful, I would have been ecstatic.

If you told me at 60 minutes today we'd have a draw, I would have been ecstatic.

Somehow it still feels like a gut punch regardless.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 08:49:15 PM »

That's because the US got sloppy during stoppage time.  They kept turning the ball over, their defense was all over the place, and Portugal capitalized on it.  Had the US just kept passing the ball to each other for a minute and kept it near Portugal's goal, then they would have kept the win. 

And I call BS on the yellow card given that US player. 

Again, I'm glad that FIFA's finally using goal line technology, but the officiating is still pretty weak. 

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 01:17:01 PM »

This was the first time I've ever watched a soccer match start to finish. I don't know any rules and I thought it was kind of tacky. The added 5 minutes made no sense to me either. It allowed Portugal more time to not get eliminated by a loss. I told my fiance it seemed rigged. I must be used to the NBA haha.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: