Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 01:34:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330205 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  World Cup 2014 (starts June 12, kiddies!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: World Cup 2014 (starts June 12, kiddies!)  (Read 1766 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 01:50:59 PM »

This was the first time I've ever watched a soccer match start to finish. I don't know any rules and I thought it was kind of tacky. The added 5 minutes made no sense to me either. It allowed Portugal more time to not get eliminated by a loss. I told my fiance it seemed rigged. I must be used to the NBA haha.

They don't stop the clock in soccer; so the extra "five minutes" was due to injury and the like "stopping" the game.  NBA games go on *forever* in that five minutes because they KEEP stopping the clock and reconfiguring play tactics and all that jazz.

Rigged.  Eh.  The NBA definitely is. :P
I like soccer, but it would be about 1,000 times better without players dying of every injury they get (and then walking it off a few seconds later).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 02:18:38 PM »

This was the first time I've ever watched a soccer match start to finish. I don't know any rules and I thought it was kind of tacky. The added 5 minutes made no sense to me either. It allowed Portugal more time to not get eliminated by a loss. I told my fiance it seemed rigged. I must be used to the NBA haha.

They don't stop the clock in soccer; so the extra "five minutes" was due to injury and the like "stopping" the game.  NBA games go on *forever* in that five minutes because they KEEP stopping the clock and reconfiguring play tactics and all that jazz.

Rigged.  Eh.  The NBA definitely is. :P
I like soccer, but it would be about 1,000 times better without players dying of every injury they get (and then walking it off a few seconds later).

Seems like they should just stop the clock then when someone gets injured. It's called an injury timeout in literally every other sport. Makes little sense to me haha.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 06:55:49 PM »

There's actually debate over the whole "stoppage time" thing in soccer.  Many believe it's arbitrary and that soccer should evolve like other sports and allow the clock to be stopped when an injury is being tended to.  But I like that each half is 45 minutes nonstop.  That takes stamina.  And it's why soccer is not commercially viable in the US.  They can't take "commercial time outs" to air commercials during the game like they do in American football or something.  And halftime in soccer is pretty short; not enough time for "a word from our sponsors." 

But, seriously, soccer is a slow sport to evolve or modernize.  It's only now that FIFA is using goal line technology, because of so many BS calls in the 2010 World Cup.  The officiating is still weak, but that's neither here nor there.  And I'm seeing teams dive a lot less.  Back in 2006, Portugal dove all the time and whined about every call.  They haven't done that as much here. 

I think a big reason why soccer is slow to modernize is because of its global popularity.  See, a healthy majority of countries who are soccer fanatics are poor countries.  It's not an expensive sport for poor people to play.  All you need is a ball.  It's not like other sports where you need helmets, pads, sticks, specialized goalposts (be they uprights in American football or 10 foot high baskets in basketball) which costs money.  So because soccer is a relatively inexpensive sport to play, the kajillions of poorer people in the world can play it, and since modernization is expensive...

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 10:17:42 PM »

You have a good point about that taking stamina when it is nonstop, but only half of the field is playing most of the time wheras in the NBA all 10 players are engaging and running the entire time so that's why they need timeouts and commercial breaks (other than advertising money etc). You are also spot on to why this sport is not huge in the US. I completely agree. I also much prefer being able to take potty breaks and get food without missing something so I appreciate stoppage in play sometimes, but it does get to ridiculous levels in the NBA and NFL at times too.

OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 10:54:09 AM »

I watched an Inside ESPN’s “I Believe” 2014 FIFA World Cup before the USA vs. Portugal game on Sunday and it was fantastic. It was great to see how a team is selected. The team spirit where players are competitors because they want to make the final cut to go to Brazil, but they're all still cheering each other on to make it is pretty cool.

Watching the program I could get the sense that USA does come out as being an underdog and soccer isn't as popular here as it is internationally, but I'm glad to see they're beginning to gain some exposure and klout as they improve. I think the team captain, Dempsey even remarked how weird it was to see a giant display of himself in Times Square.

I was sad to hear Landon Donovan didn't make the final cut. I was hoping he would since he's been one of the best players ever to come out of USA ever and is the same age as me, 32. He was a key player in the last two world cups. The good news is that he'll continue playing soccer for LA Galaxy.

It was also interesting to learn how many players actually hold multiple passports so they can play for multiple of national teams like smaller countries in Europe and many speak several languages, but at the end of the day they're still pumped up for their home team, USA.

Speaking of the games, it was gut wrenching to watch those last ten seconds of the game and seeing Cristiano Ronaldo satisfying grin with his assist for the final score to make the game a draw. Now I'm really looking forward to Thursday game to see how we do vs. Germany. Go U-S-A!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:58:46 AM by OrsonFury » Logged

Playing: Mario Kart 8 (Wii U).
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 11:50:29 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KKgR5YWmYg

As much as I dislike EA, this Landon Donovan commercial is great.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 11:53:40 AM »

You have a good point about that taking stamina when it is nonstop, but only half of the field is playing most of the time wheras in the NBA all 10 players are engaging and running the entire time so that's why they need timeouts and commercial breaks (other than advertising money etc). You are also spot on to why this sport is not huge in the US. I completely agree. I also much prefer being able to take potty breaks and get food without missing something so I appreciate stoppage in play sometimes, but it does get to ridiculous levels in the NBA and NFL at times too.

Let's put it this way - FIFA doesn't need the sport to be big in the US to continue to be the biggest sport in the known universe. They're certainly not going to change things up for American sensibilities. It's up to us to either appreciate it for what it is or not.

Also, I think the officiating is perceived as "weak" simply because the types of calls the refs are responsible for in soccer are exceedingly difficult compared to other sports. Offsides is not only one of the most difficult calls to get correct every time, but is also a call where getting it wrong can be disproportionately damaging to the outcome of a game. Penalties in the box are the same way. There are lots of borderline calls in the NFL, NBA, etc that are hard to get right but they usually (not always) get lost in the flow of the game on the whole because there is usually more scoring, more plays to offset the damage done, etc. In a game where 1 goal is often the entire difference and chances are very hard to come by, mistakes by referees are simply more noticeable.

Baseball is still my favorite sport by a vast margin (the pace and atmosphere appeals to my sensibilities), but the game they call football everywhere else is definitely second on my list. I've been a Newcastle United fan for about 15 years now, but I've also really enjoyed the growth MLS has seen and having the Union games just 15-20 minutes away. Plus at 2 hours running time, it is less of a time investment than most US based sports (exceptions for tournament games that MUST have a winner and therefore have extra time/PKs of course).
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 02:44:10 PM »

Aaaaaaand Luis Suarez did it again.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 03:54:28 PM »

Italy, England, Spain and Portugal(barring a miracle) are all out, this early. Hard to believe it.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 09:04:49 PM »

Definitely a World Cup of surprises, that's for sure.  I'm keeping my eye on Mexico (Ochoa is my favorite goalie of the cup right now) and Costa Rica (because they're a serious dark horse). 

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 04:09:12 PM »

Germany beat the USA but both teams managed to qualify. Even though Portugal would have needed like four more goals to qualify, I think they could have got them against their match against Ghana. They threw away a crapton of chances.

Suarez also got a four month ban for getting the munchies.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 09:34:58 PM »

How about that Chile-Brazil match, eh?  Chile totally outplayed Brazil, especially in the second half.  I feel like Chile deserved the win.  I'm not a Brazil fan at all.  I think they're a horribly overrated team. 

And Colombia vs. Uruguay- that was an unexpected result.  

The matches I'm most looking forward to are Costa Rica- Greece (since they're the surprise hits) and Netherlands-Mexico (Netherlands was my birth country so I cheer for them along with the US, and Mexico has Ochoa- my favorite goalie.)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:12:01 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 02:01:19 PM »

Man, what a heartbreaking loss for Mexico.  Throughout the game, I thought they outplayed the Dutch and were a LOT more aggressive.  But somehow, in the last minute, the Dutch came through in the clutch.  Ochoa played insanely well (he had some killer saves as usual), but even he gassed out.  The Dutch's strikers are on point, and if it were any other goalie, they'd have probably scored 4 or 5 goals.  

I still call bullshit on those yellow cards on Mexico.  Robben clearly took a dive in the penalty area.  Other dude barely touched him.  

EDIT: So who do you all think will be in the final?  I think it's going to be Germany-Netherlands.  And for the 3rd place match, I'd like to see Argentina prevail over Brazil.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:30:01 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 03:15:16 PM »

I heard some old folks daydreaming aloud about the final match being between the Netherlands and Germany. I guess they're still sour about 1974 XD
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 04:13:23 PM »

I think the two best-playing teams of the tournament so far have been France and Germany.  They've looked good in all of their wins.  However, if both teams win this round, they'll face each other next round!  Their half of the bracket also includes Brazil and Colombia, which is insane.  My guess would be a final of Colombia beating Argentina, but it could go many different ways.  Yes, I believe in home continent advantage. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: