Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 10:01:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334535 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  World Cup 2014 (starts June 12, kiddies!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: World Cup 2014 (starts June 12, kiddies!)  (Read 2035 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2014, 04:56:47 PM »

So I don't much follow futbol but I have to admit that I always say I'm an Arsenal fan only because the name is awesome. The name of the team is a place they keep weapons. That's awesome
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2014, 05:15:56 PM »

Now that you mention it, football (eh, the type were talking about here) teams tend to have names that are either awesome or just plain boring and unimaginative. For instance, one of the (really shitty) local clubs is named after Pax, the minor Roman goddess of peace. A good name for a club that's just in it for the fun. On the other hand there are countless (paid!) clubs that are named something like FC *insert name of city here*. Blah.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2014, 06:37:21 PM »

Ha @ Greece for tying it so late. Nice.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2014, 06:56:13 PM »

Bullshit yellow cards (and red card) on Duarte!  Still, Costa Rica kicked ass with only 10 men through it all.  Their goalie had some clutch saves.  Greece was pretty sloppy in the latter portions.  They couldn't capitalize on the man advantage.   Costa Rica 100% deserved that win!  They were the better team.  

Oh, and you all should check out the sport footvolley.  It's pretty insane.  It's beach volleyball meets soccer meets hackey sack.      

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2014, 07:11:20 PM »

... Is foot volley that Sepak Tikraw (...probably misspelling that) from Thailand? It's completely insane.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2014, 05:38:55 PM »

I'm sure there are subtle differences between footvolley/futvolei and sepak takraw, but it's basically the same idea.  I figure once that sport catches on globally, then international rules will be made. 

As for World Cup, I think Netherlands will beat Costa Rica, but the Ticos will definitely put up a fight against Clockwork Orange.  

And this is a nice little article.  Cool to know that despite foreign opinion of America being perhaps the lowest it's been in an entire generation, the power of futbol has everyone liking America again. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/u-s--becoming-fan-favorite-of-other-world-cup-team-nations-224510530.html

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2014, 07:19:39 PM »

Wow, the US may have lost but holy crap did Tim Howard have a great game or what! The game certainly would not have gone into extra time without him. Even though he was great, the best team did win in the end. Belgium face Argentina next. I don't have much hope for them but it would be great to see them win.

I am looking forward to the Germany France match on Friday. France either have horrible World Cups or play really well. With the way they played so far, it should be a match to remember.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »

Tim Howard was on point. 

And I gotta love him and Alejandro Bedoya since they're both from my home state of New Jersey.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2014, 11:54:54 AM »

Fun to share:
http://imgur.com/a/wI1pe?gallery
Your favorite football countries as anime girls.  (Switzerland gets my vote for most "duh").

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2014, 12:28:04 PM »

Those are pretty good. But it seems sad the artist chose to represent the beleaguered countries as militant

The Swiss one was awesome 
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2014, 03:36:32 PM »

Yeah, some of those are in bad taste :/

The Netherlands is looking good, though. Cool robot/cyborg girl and a robot lion? Awesome!

But eh, what are those things under its tail? Looks like balls... o_o
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2014, 05:21:56 PM »

The Chile one makes me happy
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2014, 07:57:51 PM »

I liked the Costa Rica one, actually.  And Netherlands was pretty badass with the robo lion and everything. 

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2014, 02:34:29 PM »

So we have Germany vs Brazil on one side and Argentina vs (Netherlands/Costa Rica winner). 

Go Oranje!  Costa Rica had an awesome little Cinderella story, but I think it ends today.  Netherlands is a powerhouse team and they've been playing very well this cup. 

I still think it'll be a Netherlands-Germany final with a Brazil-Argentina third place match. 

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2014, 03:06:50 PM »

I still think it'll be a Netherlands-Germany final with a Brazil-Argentina third place match. 

I think it will be the same. I was hoping it would be Columbia vs Germany and Costa Rica vs Belgium but that didn't exactly work out. Costa Rica may get lucky and the Netherlands will underestimate them although it is pretty unlikely at this stage of the competition. I would say that Costa Rica would have had a better chance facing Brazil or Argentina as neither team has played great this World Cup.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: