Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 12:51:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337994 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Ipad questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ipad questions  (Read 752 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2014, 01:09:47 AM »

I've been wanting to get one but I want to know from ipad users what size storage they have and if they're happy with it. I plan on using it for reading (magazines and the like, but not books [I' love my kindle for that]) and streaming stuff.

I'll probably get the ipad air.

Do you wish you had more space? What else do you use it for?

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 01:16:59 AM »

I don't have an iPad*, but a friend of mine had one, and at the same time that she bought it, her daughter bought an iPad Mini.  My friend used hers mainly for reading, and in the end, they swapped devices, because the regular one was too big for comfortably holding while reading (this was before the air, and I have no idea the weight difference), and the Mini was too small for whatever the daughter liked to do.  Probably streaming.

Which is to say that either way, you may not love the experience of doing one of your things.  But if you plan on your kindle still being your main reader, you're probably fine with the big one.

*I don't have any tablet at all, because I live on my laptop.  I got an android tablet a while back, and I really liked it, but after the initial "ooh, I have a fun new toy" period, I stopped using it pretty quickly.  My wife, on the other hand, has a tablet and a keyboard for it, and she uses it all the time.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 11:35:50 PM »

Hey Yoda,

This is a long standing debate I've had with my brother. For some background, I've owned the following: iPad 2, 16gb, Retina iPad Mini 32gb.

Like yourself, I used it to read magazines, comics, watch movies, play games and all that stuff. The 16gb (really, about 13 usable) in my opinion disappears far too quickly, especially if you are the type who like to keep magazines on hand. The files range in size (assuming you are buying them through the Newstand app) from about 300 mb+.

Couple that with any music you'd like to store on the iPad (I don't) and apps, and you'll find yourself playing storage tetris with your apps/magazines.

Keep in mind apps for the iPad are bigger than they are for the iPhone, plus the fact that since Apple switched to 64bit processors, apps do take a bit more room if they have been switched over.

Currently on my 32gb mini (27.4gb actually usable) I have used 18gb, and it's filled with Comics and apps. I can't imagine going any smaller than 32gb in this day and age. Consider the following:

Comics - 8gb (mostly complete manga series)
DQ8 - 1.6gb
FFT WOTL - 805mb
Hearthstone - 661 mb

Also, pages, numbers, iPhoto (now all free with the purchase of an iPad) take roughly 400mb each.

What I would really like is 64gb, but that was too rich for my blood. I think you'll find that once you start using your iPad, you'll use it a lot more often than you had originally thought. I use mine for reading, surfing (my computer went untouched for 2 weeks when i first got my iPad), Youtube, streaming shows, taking notes and editing documents.

Also, Air vs Mini: When I had my iPad 2, I took it on a trip and actually found it to be somewhat cumbersome. While the Air is smaller and lighter than the older versions of the iPad, it is still a good size bigger than the Mini. With the mini, I don't think i've gotten tired holding it just yet. Plus, for the same price you can get the 32gb Mini or the 16gb Air. Using the Mini, I've never once thought I wanted a bigger one, but that's me having experienced the bigger version as well. The ultimate question comes down to the choice of colour...will it be white/silver or space grey....?

There is a certain...je ne sais quois about handling the Mini...it just feels right. Of course, YMMV, but the best thing to do is to try them out if you can.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 12:05:16 AM »

Thanks for the excellent responses. Too fraking tired to say more now, but plenty to think about
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 12:25:16 AM »

Forgot to add this:

regarding the colour of the iPad:

I've owned a black iPad 2, a white iPad mini and now a black iPad mini.

White looks so good. It is like it is made for the iPad. Plus that silver back is just gorgeous. But the one aspect of it is, is that the white actually sort of distracts me while I'm reading a book or comic. The black bezel lets it meld in and disappear, plus it looks great while it's turned off. The black is more prone to smudges along the bezel that are nearly imperceptible on the white, but once the screen is on, the smudges on the bezel don't really matter.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: