Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 09:31:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334415 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Aurian relents: PS3 games?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Aurian relents: PS3 games?  (Read 4049 times)
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2014, 03:10:39 PM »

So I bought a PS3 to keep me good until the PS4 gets enough stuff to buy.

What RPGs should I get? (Will accept other types of games if they have a strong narrative and are clumsy player friendly). I am also looking for ones that are NOT on the Xbox (I likely played those already).

With my new PS3, I already bought:
Disgaea D2
Heavy Rain
No Nu Kumi (or however it's spelled...)

(Didn't pick up Disgaea 4 since I'll get that for the Vita anyways)

Want to get Last Of Us, and a Tales Game (not sure which is best... I like a good story and tend to prefer more turn based games)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 03:31:28 PM »

Valkyria Chronicles is the best game ever made. Get. It.

PS3 Exclusive
Semi-turn based system
Above average story w/ fantastic characters
Amazing visuals
Amazing soundtrack
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 03:33:28 PM by Klutz64 » Logged
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 03:35:40 PM »

That is one I was thinking about... Ok on my get list :)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 05:10:19 PM »

If you don't have PS+, it's probably worth getting.  They give out a lot of good free games, and all you really need is one or two a year to pay you back for the cost of admission.  And since the subscription covers all platforms and you have a Vita as well, it's extra worth it.

I know I sound like a shill, but I really like PS+!  I think it's a great buy for someone who's just getting a PS3 at this point.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 08:25:26 PM »

The only problem is that I don't have much space on either the Vita (memory cards are #%*!! Expensive) or the new PS3, which doesn't have much GIG space. Figured many games would be discounted and I do like physical copies :)

Someone who is less narrow in their game tastes might like the PS+ though :)
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 03:11:33 PM »

If you're into open world stuff (which I totally understand if you aren't) the inFamous games are pretty fun.  GTA with electricity superpowers and a *very* binary karma system, and stories that are so-so for most of the way, but with spectacular finishes.  I like them a lot (more than Uncharted) but I get that they're not for everyone.  They're my second- and third-favorite open world games behind Red Dead Redemption (which you should also play if you haven't on the 360 already). 

Of the two Tales Of games on PS3, I think that Graces has more deliberate, strategic combat and Xillia has faster, more traditional Tales combat with fancier combos.  Both games are pretty good, and Xillia 2 is coming out in English-speaking territories later this year.  I didn't finish either game, but I liked Xillia a little more than Graces. 

Second the recommendation for Valkyria Chronicles.  That game rules.  I wish that it had PSN Trophy support, but there's a built-in achievement system that is basically the same. 

Now I have no idea if you like platformers or not, but if you do then you absolutely should play Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction and R&CF: A Crack in Time.  Crack is better than Tools (heh...), but they're both great jumpy-shooty-explody games.  The download-only interim game, R&CF: Quest for Booty, isn't very good.  But I love almost the whole series; R&C has basically been my Mega Man replacement since 2003. 

And hey, if you didn't play them on PS2, get the Ico / Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection.  Hell of a double feature. 

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 08:31:05 PM »

Thanks everyone!
I picked up Valkyria Chronicles and Beyond:Two Souls. I think I'll look at Tales of Xillia. I never did play ICO or Shadow of the Colossus so there is that too.

I tend to not be as into platformers unless the gameplay is forgiving and the story is strong. Not much of a Ratchet and Clank fan though. :)

Not big on sandbox games but my husband is. I'll suggest inFamous to him.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 08:44:27 PM »

I love the infamous games. It's worth noting that the movement and gameplay is much, much more fluid in 2 than it was in 1. So if he tries 1 and likes the idea but feels the execution is kind of lacking, it's worth jumping straight to 2.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 08:09:30 PM »

Tales of Graces f gets dumped on a lot, but I preferred it immensely to Xillia. The combat was much more fluid in Graces, and overall it seemed well polished. In comparison, Xillia felt...foreign and kludgy at best.

Xillia was alright, but to me, it was no Graces.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 08:31:02 AM »

Sad to say, but while the PS1 and PS2 ware RPG powerhouses, the PS3 is rather lacking. If you're looking for action RPGs you might find something to sink your teeth into, but if you're into the classic stuff then you're better off looking at a DS or PSP.
Can't really think of anything that hasn't already been suggested. Look through the store, you might also find something interesting in the PS1 and PS2 classics section.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:39:42 AM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: