Author Topic: Bloodborne

CoreSignal

• View Profile
Re: Bloodborne
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2015, 05:21:58 PM »
On my list of series that turned into action games or my desire not to have this series become full on action?
We've already got plenty of 3rd person action RPGs. This series excels at being all about weighting rather than speed.

I'm also gonna have to disagree as well. Dark Souls was already an action RPG, and Bloodborne essentially takes the same mechanics and makes them faster, on top of other new mechanics they're adding. I'm in the minority here; I liked the basic mechanics of Dark Souls but I couldn't stand the "feel" of the combat. For me, "weighty" is code for clunky. Bloodborne is obviously going to be different than Dark Souls, and part of the reason I'm excited for it is because they kept the things I liked about the Dark Souls, (the exploration and atmosphere) and they changed the stuff I didn't like (weighty, aka clunky combat, slow movement). @TimmyFd, you're right, there's a fine line between an action RPG and a full-on action game, but I still think Bloodborne is on that action RPG side.

There are a number of RPGs in which (if you are hardcore enough) you can go do an specific battle or even go through the game with low stats. Though, depending on the battle system and overall design 'X RPG' has, the player by default is going to require somewhat of a different mentality to pull that off.

Yeah, I think grinding is one of the biggest misconceptions about JRPGs. The way I see it, grinding is usually optional. If you want grind a ton and power through the game, that's fine. If you don't want to bother grinding then you can still take on tough bosses, it'll just be harder. Of course, there are a lot of old school rpgs where you basically had to grind, but we see less of it in recent years. And the games with more unique battle systems usually place less emphasis on grinding.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2015, 04:29:38 PM »
Lately I've been having my doubts in getting Bloodborne, and the launch trailer makes the game look extremly creppy and gory. ;w;

Now because of this I want to ask if you guys, in general, have had or have problems with extreme violence in media or does other things bother you more?

Slightly redacted.*
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 08:03:27 PM by Yggdrasil »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2015, 07:37:14 PM »
Lately I've been having my doubts in getting Bloodborne, and the launch trailer makes the game look extremly creppy and gory. ;w;

And because of this I want to ask if you guys, in general, have had or have problem with extreme violence in media or does other things bother you more?

Funny story, I thought the same thing when I saw the latest trailer for the Netflix Daredevil series. "Does this show need to be this brutal? And more importantly, how does this at all fit with the tone of every other part of the Marvel cinematic universe?"

But yeah, things that are more gory or violent than they need to be really bugs me too.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2015, 08:42:17 PM »
Same. I'd actually be up for this (since gameplay-wise it's the direction I'd rather see From go with the Souls-style games), but the visuals are holding me back. I remember Soul Sacrifice gave me a similar problem, and I still can't get myself to play much of that....

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2015, 10:25:44 PM »
i miss the days of being afraid of skeletons not because they could kill you but because you could hear them coming through the walls

i miss the days of walking around surreal polygonal landscapes with minimal texturing and punching meowing slimes

i miss the days when videogames weren't about being hardcore and overcoming challenges but instead were about collectively experiencing the stress-nightmares of lonely japanese men
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2015, 04:23:46 AM »
I usually choose to have positive feelings over negative ones. In the past I watched all sorts of "art films", but all I learned was that I don't enjoy spending most of my free time in fictional bloodpaths, especially when my real life already has enough negativity so I don't have the need to artificially make myself feel like crap. I could not feel anything, but I find that committing a spiritual suicide is ultimately not very self-serving when you can't enjoy anything anymore.

Or maybe I just got old, I don't know.

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2015, 10:34:59 PM »
i miss the days when videogames weren't about being hardcore and overcoming challenges but instead were about collectively experiencing the stress-nightmares of lonely japanese men

Hah! If Japan sorted out its weird attitudes to sex, it'd completely destroy the games industry. And also the sexbots we know are currently being made.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2015, 06:16:27 PM »
we have robots on the mars

we have robots in the middle east fighting for us

if we teach them to love what future is there for us
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2015, 02:33:40 AM »

And because of this I want to ask if you guys, in general, have had or have problem with extreme violence in media or does other things bother you more?

Funny story, I thought the same thing when I saw the latest trailer for the Netflix Daredevil series. "Does this show need to be this brutal? And more importantly, how does this at all fit with the tone of every other part of the Marvel cinematic universe?"

But yeah, things that are more gory or violent than they need to be really bugs me too.

It depends. If it's like Braveheart... it's awesome. If it's rape, or innocent people getting massacred then I don't like it.  If it's Resident Evil or a Victorian Nightmare like Bloodborne it won't bother me too much.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2015, 03:04:55 PM »
ADVICE NEEDED

Is it madness to consider getting/playing this while I am playing type-0?? I am having fun with Type-0 and all but my curiosity with Bloodborne is a seperate entity entirely. Don't know if I should wait until I have literally nothing else on the plate in terms of gaming or grab her to quell my interest.

My experience with Dark Souls is very limited but it leads me to believe that this game would be more enjoyable alongside other less stressful and dark titles. Hence, it may prove a nice foil to other stuff I'm playing without the strict desire to play it through (Bloodborne that is) start to finish. Another part of me fears totally shooting myself in the foot with "overwhelming gaming agenda" by having this, Type-0 going, and Mass Effect 2 on deck in the not so distant future.

Ok that last sentence I typed made me pretty sure it is indeed madness to grab this off PSN tonite at midnight, but I would still like some community input on this if anyone would be so kind to offer it.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:09:55 PM by Klyde Chroma »
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2015, 04:58:09 PM »
Thanks to those who replied to my question. I've reconsidered since then in getting Bloodborne anyway. Missing out on this would be a waste given for how long I waited for it.

That said, now I gotta see when I can get my hands on a copy.

My experience with Dark Souls is very limited but it leads me to believe that this game would be more enjoyable alongside other less stressful and dark titles.

I don't dedicate time to multiple games at a time because that breaks the overall feeling of the game for me by shuffling one game with the other around. But going to Type-0 and Mass Effect 2 to Bloodborne sounds pretty abrupt to me. If you can handled it then go for it, but like with Souls is for the best to focus on it as much as you can to get the most out of it (I said that from my personal experience with the series).

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2015, 06:44:15 PM »
Also just in case anyone's curious or wants to see more, Rob and I will be streaming this tonight. Deets in the news story on the front page.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2015, 04:39:03 AM »
but like with Souls is for the best to focus on it as much as you can to get the most out of it (I said that from my personal experience with the series).

I decided to heed your words buddy, thanks for the advice. This would make an awesome halloween/fall game judging from what I've seen of the aesthetic... Not a far fetched notion for me considering all the crap I have/want to play ATM.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »

I'm also gonna have to disagree as well. Dark Souls was already an action RPG, and Bloodborne essentially takes the same mechanics and makes them faster, on top of other new mechanics they're adding. I'm in the minority here; I liked the basic mechanics of Dark Souls but I couldn't stand the "feel" of the combat. For me, "weighty" is code for clunky. Bloodborne is obviously going to be different than Dark Souls, and part of the reason I'm excited for it is because they kept the things I liked about the Dark Souls, (the exploration and atmosphere) and they changed the stuff I didn't like (weighty, aka clunky combat, slow movement). @TimmyFd, you're right, there's a fine line between an action RPG and a full-on action game, but I still think Bloodborne is on that action RPG side.

I wasn't saying I didn't consider it an Action RPG. I was saying I was hoping they wouldn't do what Mass Effect did, in that it slowly became more and more action. I haven't played Bloodborne but it kinda looks very similar as the transition from ME2 to ME3.

I disagree "weighty" is code for "clunky". Weighty is good because it's variable. Whereas clunky sounds more absolute. The weight of the weapons and armour was great in Dark Souls because you could change things up if you wanted to go with a different strategy. I remember stripping my character naked at one point and using my smallest and fastest weapon in order to beat him. That felt like a great strategy to have on offer.

ferretwraith

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2015, 12:36:44 AM »
With how favorably the dark souls games are talked about on the random encounter podcast, I am really surprised to not see more discussion about bloodborne on here.

Having played dark souls and dark souls 2 on my PC is making it incredibly difficult for me to get any enjoyment out of bloodborne. I went from playing these older games locked at 60fps with ~3second load times, to being locked at 30fps (sometimes lower) with up to 45 second load times after death on the ps4.  It literally takes me upwards of 50 seconds from the point of death to be able to control my character again, and my tolerance for waiting seems to only drop the more I play.

I was able to solo through the other two games as a shield user, and I am really struggling to adapt to the combat in this game, especially vs bosses (I've beat the first two bosses currently).  Instead of blocking and slowly learning attack patterns, I find myself being killed in two to three hits vs attacks that I rolled left into when I should've rolled right, or backwards, or maybe interrupted with a gunshot.  It's a similar method of progressive learning, but wildly less fun to me when every mistake I wasn't aware I was making can lead to another 45 second load screen.

I don't mean to sound too negative, and I do hope that I can adapt or get my head in a place where I'm having more fun with it all.  There is a game with fantastic world design with great atmosphere here that I'd really like to play my way through.