Author Topic: Bloodborne

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodborne
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2015, 12:46:02 AM »
So I have a conundrum.

I played about two hours of Dark Souls way back when and /hated/ it. Couldn't find a damn thing to like about it. It makes sense, then, that I wouldn't pick up Bloodborne. However, my housemate went on vacation for a week, left his copy of Bloodborne here, and told me I should start up a game (knowing full well how much I hated Dark Souls). I laughed and said it'd probably never happen.

He's been gone like 6 hours and the game calls to me. I have a pretty good feeling I'm going to get slaughtered and hate it, but it's pulling me in like some kind of Lovecraftian horror. Do I give in?

Bleaker

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2015, 01:18:25 AM »
I've always hated Dark Souls but I picked this game up on a whim anyway. The new aesthetic was the main reason. The combat is much more aggressive. After that first boss fight I got really into the game. The second boss is a lot of fun, and third boss is also just as fun. I've raged so much at this game, but for some reason I can't look at it with anything but fondness. It makes me want to pick up Souls 2 for PS4.
Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
Hate is a strong word to just throw it around like that, and yet, everytime someone doesn't like something they say they "hate it". Hate is a deep feeling of anger that's unlikely to away easily dude. A lot of times that "hate" is annoyance or frustration and is not any different from what fighting game players go through with the genre.

Also, and this might sound like a joke to some, when you are performing poorly is better to either take a small break or close your eyes, breathe slowly and let that rage go away before it builds up. Games that demand awareness and (varying degrees of) skill are always gonna get the best of you if you let yourself explode in anger. Of course, is easier said than done in occasions.

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2015, 08:48:13 PM »
played this game for like 16 hours over the last two days. Really like the more aggressive approach to combat, the fact that there's no longer a block means you can't just sit back with your shield up to wait for an opportunity anymore. Also love the mechanic where if you damage them fast enough after you get hit, you regain some health. Kind of wish eventually they'll make a game with actual co-op without waiting 5 minutes to summon your friends, but I guess that's not the focus of this game.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
I ended up trying it, and quit before the first boss.  Without a doubt, this is not the type of game for me.

It's a shame, because the ambiance is cool and the story seemed interesting (although it definitely seemed to prioritize gameplay over story) but I just can't handle that kind of super hard gameplay.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2015, 03:27:51 PM »
I just can't handle that kind of super hard gameplay.

"Super hard gameplay" sounds like Winnie The Pooh's Home Run Derby, Ghosts 'n Goblins or Battletoads to me rather than Souls or Bloodborne to be honest.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2015, 04:20:33 PM »
I just can't handle that kind of super hard gameplay.

"Super hard gameplay" sounds like Winnie The Pooh's Home Run Derby, Ghosts 'n Goblins or Battletoads to me rather than Souls or Bloodborne to be honest.

No, "Super hard gameplay" sounds like a game that's very hard. No need to split hairs...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2015, 06:14:26 PM »
Those three examples I gave are widely recognized as difficult games, and also in each of them the act of getting to understand the best ways to be proficient in each of those games requires something else than just pure skill. Because aside from skills, they test your patience (or rather your overall mental endurance). Which make their gameplay 'super hard' to get a sense of progression at all with how they are designed. You get where I'm coming from with my examples now?

Also, is not like I'm saying a lie with any of that because your performance might be or not poor with the difficulty Souls and Bloodborne presents. All four games in the series ask of you to surpass their learning curve, learn of the environment around you by exploring every nook and cranny possible and enjoy that same process. Yes, it gets rough and seems impossible at times to learn the intricacies and perform correctly, but is not some kind of impossible task like some fans out there love to say this series is.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 06:15:58 PM by Yggdrasil »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2015, 06:31:34 PM »
"Hard" in terms of difficulty is a very subjective term, in that what determines a hard game depends on the skill of the user. It only means that it challanges your skills beyond what you are usually comfortable with. By adding "super" to the mix, it implies that it requires a great deal of skill and effort, perhaps beyond what you feel you are capable of, or at least willing to put into. The idea of hard seems to imply that it is something one can surmount with enough effort, but you have to be willing to do so.

However, What you described for your examples is what most would call "cheap". Not hard, just cheap. Frustrating. Unfair. Impossible. When I think of a hard game, even "super hard", I think of Super Meat Boy, Mega Man 3, Castlevania 3, etc. Games where the challenge is simply learning the stages, honing your reflexes, and putting in continuous effort.

Which is why I rarely play games like those anymore, since these days it's hard enough just to get myself to start a game up, let alone play it...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2015, 06:47:06 PM »
We are understanding the same concept with a different context. Not much to argue there.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2015, 08:05:28 PM »
I hope so. All we're really doing is arguing semantics, anyways.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2015, 10:01:10 PM »
By adding "super" to the mix, it implies that it requires a great deal of skill and effort, perhaps beyond what you feel you are capable of, or at least willing to put into. The idea of hard seems to imply that it is something one can surmount with enough effort, but you have to be willing to do so.

That about sums it up.  My skill level with this type of game (namely action games which require precise controls and a lot of exploring/map awareness) tends to be pretty lackluster, and it just doesn't seem to offer enough of a reward (story) to keep me hooked.  For me, it's not worth the tenacity that would be necessary for me to get good.  Instead, I've been playing a bunch of Ace Attorney, which is conversely feels like constant reward in terms of plot.  I'm not trying to say Bloodborne is bad, but I'm definitely not in the target demographic.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2015, 07:29:47 PM »
My skill level with this type of game (namely action games which require precise controls and a lot of exploring/map awareness) tends to be pretty lackluster, and it just doesn't seem to offer enough of a reward (story) to keep me hooked.  For me, it's not worth the tenacity that would be necessary for me to get good.

That's a shame. u_u

Though, I used to be like that. I needed that narrative reward as some sort of excuse to keep me interested, but later I decided to leave my comfort zone and push my skills to get better overall with the types of games/genres I like the most, which more often than not require a certain level of skill I wanted to develop at one point, and I got to work on it putting aside the shallow taste in games I had before. It has been rewarding getting a real sense of the mechanics and understand how important things like 'friction' and 'tempo' are in a game.

Is totally cool if you don't see yourself as the type of player who can enjoy Bloodborne. I've done that with plenty of games that I know are not for me.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:30:13 PM by Yggdrasil »

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2015, 11:47:36 PM »
Well after finishing type 0 yesterday I decided to give bloodborne a shot to see if it was even something I wanted to indulge. In less than a full 24 hours I've easily played for 8. I got the game, played for 3 hours took a nap and then played for something in the realm of 5 or more (basically right until I had to work). This game hooks you fast.

Mind you, this is coming from a guy who was not enticed by demon souls or dark souls. Whatever those games lacked in terms of holding my interest, bloodborne clearly has corrected from my vantage point. I honestly expected to not really like this game at all and was more curious than anything else, but paint this Klyde surprised and totally engrossed upon initial impressions.

Doesn't hurt that the character creation is freakin' great to boot.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

CoreSignal

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2015, 02:01:21 AM »
I disagree "weighty" is code for "clunky". Weighty is good because it's variable. Whereas clunky sounds more absolute. The weight of the weapons and armour was great in Dark Souls because you could change things up if you wanted to go with a different strategy. I remember stripping my character naked at one point and using my smallest and fastest weapon in order to beat him. That felt like a great strategy to have on offer.

super late response, but even with nimble builds, I always felt moving and dodging was still a little slow. Then again, I actually played Dragon's Dogma first, the game certain RPGFan editors dislike ;) so I had unrealistic expectations for DS's controls.

Well after finishing type 0 yesterday I decided to give bloodborne a shot to see if it was even something I wanted to indulge. In less than a full 24 hours I've easily played for 8. I got the game, played for 3 hours took a nap and then played for something in the realm of 5 or more (basically right until I had to work). This game hooks you fast.

Mind you, this is coming from a guy who was not enticed by demon souls or dark souls. Whatever those games lacked in terms of holding my interest, bloodborne clearly has corrected from my vantage point. I honestly expected to not really like this game at all and was more curious than anything else, but paint this Klyde surprised and totally engrossed upon initial impressions.

Same here. I couldn't get into Dark Souls at all, but there's something addictive about Bloodborne. I think it's partly the aesthetics and partly the mechanics. As a Bayonetta fan, I was expecting a easier transition into this game than Souls. Boy, was I wrong. The learning curve is still pretty steep. The main problem for me is the timing for attacks, it's very different from what I'm used to.  And paying attention to your surroundings might be more difficult in this game than in the Souls games just because there's a lot more objects in the environment. Otherwise, it's very satisfying figuring out enemy attack patterns and how to best take them down.

Is totally cool if you don't see yourself as the type of player who can enjoy Bloodborne. I've done that with plenty of games that I know are not for me.

@Marshmallow, don't feel obligated to play Bloodborne just because everyone's talking about it. While I'm just started, it sounds like Bloodborne's story is pretty barebones (or minimalist). If it's not working for you, then go with something that does. Personally, I cannot bring myself to play a MOBA, they just don't do anything for me.