Author Topic: Bloodborne  (Read 40242 times)

Parn

• View Profile
Re: Bloodborne
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 12:22:29 AM »
You really should watch it.  It completely made up for the Final Fantasy XV trailer, and then some.  The monster designs are sick.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 12:48:22 AM »
Yeah. There are horror games out there (indie or not) that would kill to have half of the art direction Bloodborne has.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 02:00:20 PM »
I really, really want to watch these trailers, but I also want to go in completely blind.

Ugh.  This happens in every Souls game.
Just watch one or two and call it a day. That's not my Souls trailer philosophy, that's my general game philosophy: see enough to know what to expect, don't see so much that I know everything there is to expect.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:16:25 AM by Yggdrasil »

Aesir

• US Navy
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2014, 10:47:38 PM »
Being a particularly big fan of the Souls games I have a pretty significant amount of excitement for BloodBorne. It helps a lot that Miyazaki is back at the helm, really cannot wait to see what they can do on PS4.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2014, 05:00:51 PM »
Bloodborne delayed to March 2015 -- Gematsu

Bloodborne has been delayed to March 2015 from its planned February 6 release date, Sony Computer Entertainment announced.

"While development continues unabated, we would like our team to deliver the best possible final experience," SCE Japan Studio Masaaki Yamagiwa said in a blog post. "We were gratified by the feedback and data we received from those who participated in our limited Alpha test. The extra production time will also allow us to better integrate these learnings."

The new dates are as follows:

North America – March 24
Europe – March 25 (March 27 in the UK and Ireland)
Japan – March 26

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2015, 03:28:43 PM »

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2015, 05:02:37 PM »
The Making of Bloodborne – Part 1: Souls Evolved -- IGN, YouTube

FromSoft has definitely been treating Bloodborne as 'Demon's Souls Mk. II'. I've always liked Demon's more, so I'm totally cool with that.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:10:41 PM by Yggdrasil »

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2015, 09:34:16 PM »
Making Bloodborne: Part 2 - A PS4 Exclusive -- IGN, YouTube

---

Project Beast is Likely a Shadow Tower Game -- Fextralife

This makes plenty of sense for me to refrain for a second from my 'Demon's Souls Mk. II' comment.

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2015, 02:50:42 PM »

This looks great but makes me worry they'll do what nearly every series with an action side ends up doing: slowly turning into a full action game. Mass Effect, Resident Evil, Dead Space, Final Fantasy. It's like creative cancer.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2015, 09:33:22 PM »
TV Spot : The Hunt Begins -- PlayStation, Twitter

This looks great but makes me worry they'll do what nearly every series with an action side ends up doing: slowly turning into a full action game. Mass Effect, Resident Evil, Dead Space, Final Fantasy. It's like creative cancer.

I can't say I'm 100% with you on that one.

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2015, 08:23:19 AM »

I can't say I'm 100% with you on that one.

On my list of series that turned into action games or my desire not to have this series become full on action?
We've already got plenty of 3rd person action RPGs. This series excels at being all about weighting rather than speed.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2015, 11:49:47 AM »
On my list of series that turned into action games or my desire not to have this series become full on action?
We've already got plenty of 3rd person action RPGs. This series excels at being all about weighting rather than speed.

Bloodborne is taking more of the fluidity of action games with what has been already established, not straight-up becoming an action game. And when you have heavy RPG elements regulating the Action aspect of the game, is virtually impossible to make a pure action game. Unless the RPG stuff is minimal and the action is all about what level of control the player has of his/her character (like in DMC3 or 4 to give a quick example).

Also, I know very well that deviation and change scares a certain group of fans, but stagnation is way worse in the long run. At the same time, you can't possibly please everybody when a certain audience have standards and expectations getting in the way.

Slightly redacted.*
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:41:54 PM by Yggdrasil »

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2015, 01:44:54 PM »

Bloodborne taking more of the fluidity of action games with what has been already established, not straight-up becoming an action game. And when you have heavy RPG elements regulating the Action aspect of the game, is virtually impossible to make a pure action game. Unless the RPG stuff is minimal and the action is all about what level of control the player has of his/her character. Like in DMC3 or 4 to give a quick example.

Also, I know very well that deviation and change scare a certain group of fans, but stagnation is way worse in the long run. At the same time, you can't possibly please everybody when a certain audience have standards and expectations getting in the way.

Well I'm not sure how broad the definition of "RPG stuff" is. It seems to me that Dark Souls was only just overlapping the RPG border in the hypothetical Venn diagram. In my eyes, it's the balance between skill and stats that determines whether something is really an RPG. E.g in Dark Souls you can in principle beat most bosses without ever levelling up. In a Tales game, despite having action-based combat, you can't.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2015, 02:29:58 PM »

Bloodborne's online features fully detailed -- Gematsu

These are the more relevant points;

Chalice Dungeon

"Chalice Dungeons are split into two types: Normal and randomly generated. Both can be played offline and online, but random ones require connecting to the internet once in order to connect to a server and download data. Players' Chalice Dungeons can be publicly accessible and shared online."

PlayStation Plus

"Sony clarifies that PlayStation Plus is required for co-op and player-versus-player, but not required for downloading updates and getting the necessary data to generate a Chalice Dungeon."

It seems to me that Dark Souls was only just overlapping the RPG border in the hypothetical Venn diagram. In my eyes, it's the balance between skill and stats that determines whether something is really an RPG. E.g in Dark Souls you can in principle beat most bosses without ever levelling up. In a Tales game, despite having action-based combat, you can't.

There are a number of RPGs in which (if you are hardcore enough) you can go do an specific battle or even go through the game with low stats. Though, depending on the battle system and overall design 'X RPG' has, the player by default is going to require somewhat of a different mentality to pull that off.