Author Topic: Bloodborne

mrchoppy

• View Profile
Re: Bloodborne
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2015, 08:52:54 AM »
My main issue with all of these Souls games is the repetition.   I hate the fact that i can be playing for 30-45 mins then die and effectively lose all progress.   If i can open a shortcut up or get to a bonfire/lantern then dying doesn't seem so bad because at least i'm making some progress and that's great.   But if i can't do that then when i die i feel i've just wasted my time.  I never completed Demon's Souls because of the lack of checkpoints and I was glad of the bonfires in DS 1 and 2.   Is Bloodborne checkpoint lite like Demons or more like the Dark Souls series bonfires?   I take it "the kill all the mobs multiple times and they disappear" mechanic is gone from BB aswell?  When i got stuck on a boss i quite liked clearing out all the mobs so it made for easier repeat boss attempts.

Played a few hours with Bloodborne and I see what everyone is saying about the combat.  Of course I dislike it at the moment because I'm so used to the Shield being there (i was never skilled enough to parry much).   Definately a lot to learn, by the end of my session the gun was coming in handy to stop dogs ripping my throat out.   

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2015, 09:15:40 AM »
Ok, this game is officially fantastic in my book. Like, I can really see myself being one of those loser fanboy types that tout this as the greatest thing that ever came into being- quality good (I harbor a strong disdain for that type on unquestioning sentiment and fandom, mind you).

This has me so wrapped up I forgot I have other games to play. So far I think only borderlands 2 briefly achieved that with me, but while this is mesmerizing, borderlands was more of a loot addiction.

All I can say that has not been said a hundred and one times in reviews is by no stretch do I find this game hard in a frustrating or off-putting sense. Beyond that crucial point (the game being fun) the pace of progress is rapid compared to most I've played. My fear of agonizing repeats of things infinitely to "get it" is unfounded. What i am getting at is you dont have to die here and lather rinse repeat if you play smart which makes this all the more rewarding. The balance between potential death and failure (which is always a real possibility) and the ability to endure, survive and triumph is damn near perfectly executed in what I've played this far.

Demon souls made me want to smash things whereas bloodborne just makes me want to get out of work and turn on my ps4 because who the hell knows what I may slay or discover next. And of course I'm going to doing all my hunting in uber-classy attire in a style that hasn't been done to death already.

If these comments come off strong or over the top in their capacity to sing praise it is indeed my aim.

Edit: at mrchoppy: if you like using the gun for stuns I suggest the blunderbuss. I just switched to it and makes stuns way easier to achieve. My motto thus far is "one enemy at a time= minimal dying". Draw enemies aggression to you one by one and kill patiently to minimize needless deaths here, at least so far in early areas.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:20:34 AM by Klyde Chroma »
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

daschrier

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2015, 03:54:08 PM »
Just picked this up, and Father G can suck it.

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2015, 09:02:42 PM »
Just picked this up, and Father G can suck it.

Haha I lost to him a few times before getting sweet victory. He is certainly fast.

CoreSignal

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2015, 02:21:25 AM »
My main issue with all of these Souls games is the repetition.   I hate the fact that i can be playing for 30-45 mins then die and effectively lose all progress.

I don't really remember if the checkpointing in Bloodborne is better than in the Souls games, but I agree with you on losing progress. I'm not fond of the "go back to where you died" mechanic, it just adds busywork whenever you die. The timing with the guns is taking a while to get used to. I can't figure out how to land the counterattack damage bonus with the gun. I'm not sure if I supposed to fire my gun as soon as I see an enemy start an attack animation or if I'm supposed to wait until right before an attack hits me to fire it. As Klyde Chroma mentioned, go with the blunderbuss if you haven't already. It's got more range and spread than the pistol.

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2015, 09:38:40 AM »
For the visceral attacks you have to shoot once they start their windup animations. Keep in mind though that only certain attacks can be countered and some enemies can't. For example Father G you shoot as soon as you see him start the attack with the sparks on the ground.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

CoreSignal

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2015, 04:55:17 PM »
For the visceral attacks you have to shoot once they start their windup animations. Keep in mind though that only certain attacks can be countered and some enemies can't. For example Father G you shoot as soon as you see him start the attack with the sparks on the ground.

Ah, so it's when you see them winding up and it's only some attacks too. That makes sense now. There were times where my gun attack would do a lot of damage and sometimes it wouldn't. I couldn't tell if the extra damage was coming from the counterattack or if an enemy just happened to be weak against gun attacks. Thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 04:57:46 PM by CoreSignal »

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2015, 10:55:02 AM »
I beat the Blood Starved Beast last night, but now I can't figure out where to go. Everything is either a dead-end or locked. I saw there was a Grand Cathedral Key on sale at the store in Hunter's Dream for 10,000 blood echoes. Is that something I should grab?

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Administrator
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2015, 11:09:34 AM »
Yup!  You can either buy the key or find a different route if you head over to the Upper Cathedral Ward.  There should be an elevator now open by the Oedon lamp. 

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2015, 11:21:46 AM »
Yup!  You can either buy the key or find a different route if you head over to the Upper Cathedral Ward.  There should be an elevator now open by the Oedon lamp. 

Awesome! I'll probably go the different route for now.

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Administrator
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2015, 11:32:55 AM »
Sorry, it's an elevator by the Cathedral Ward lamp.  The Tomb of Oedon lamp is where you fought Papa G. 

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2015, 11:53:56 AM »
Sorry, it's an elevator by the Cathedral Ward lamp.  The Tomb of Oedon lamp is where you fought Papa G. 

Yeah, I was wondering why it would be so far back haha. I was like "why would I ever go back that far other than if someone told me to!!". Glad that wasn't the case.

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2015, 12:30:22 PM »

Ah, so it's when you see them winding up and it's only some attacks too. That makes sense now. There were times where my gun attack would do a lot of damage and sometimes it wouldn't. I couldn't tell if the extra damage was coming from the counterattack or if an enemy just happened to be weak against gun attacks. Thanks for the tip.

you'll kno you got it right when you see them get stunned for a bit, you haveta quickly run up to them and press R1 for the visceral attack. I'm not sure whether the actual gunshot does more damage though. Note that after you do it, the game will cancel your lock-on to the enemy, no idea why it does that.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2015, 11:24:31 PM »
When you set up a Visceral Attack with a gun shot, you can skip the visceral attack and just attack normally. If you do so, the next attack will do double damage. Normally a Visceral Attack will do more damage but certain weapons, like the canon will do ridiculous damage.

CoreSignal

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2015, 01:44:42 AM »
you'll kno you got it right when you see them get stunned for a bit, you haveta quickly run up to them and press R1 for the visceral attack. I'm not sure whether the actual gunshot does more damage though. Note that after you do it, the game will cancel your lock-on to the enemy, no idea why it does that.

So that's how the visceral attacks work. There's been a couple times that I'd see an enemy stunned and I thought it just meant I'd get a one or two free attacks.

When you set up a Visceral Attack with a gun shot, you can skip the visceral attack and just attack normally. If you do so, the next attack will do double damage. Normally a Visceral Attack will do more damage but certain weapons, like the canon will do ridiculous damage.

Cool. I'm gonna try this out.