Author Topic: Dragon Quest XI will be out 2016  (Read 8267 times)

DrGonzo

• View Profile
    • Experimental Gonzo Art
Re: Dragon Quest XI will be out 2016
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 01:45:59 AM »
It's gotta to be a mobile game. For starters, 95% of Japanese gamers don't care about consoles but just mobile games and handhelds. So I could see this being at least a Vita game.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 01:54:12 AM »
lol teh axents in dq4-6 suk amirite?

Stop this.

It's gotta to be a mobile game. For starters, 95% of Japanese gamers don't care about consoles but just mobile games and handhelds. So I could see this being at least a Vita game.

He's outright written off doing a mobile game (as in iOS/Android anyway) and there seems to be implications of wanting to do the next game on a console with statements like "looking forward to playing it on the big screen" or whatever. And Vita goes against the philosophy of going for the most active system, though I guess that's probably going to break next time anyway.

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 11:38:55 AM »
whatever platform DQ come out on, wouldn't that make it a system seller in Japan? Or have those days passed us by?

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 12:49:54 PM »

Stop this.

Huh? I have to agree with him that the accent thing was pretty bad.
I played the NES version and it's just jarring when I look at screenshots of the remake.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:10:16 PM by Annubis »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 02:51:37 PM »

Stop this.

Huh? I have to agree with him that the accent thing was pretty bad.
I played the NES version and it's just jarring when I look at screenshots of the remake.

I think Eusis was just referring to the practice of "derping" up someone's post in a quote to make a point.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 04:10:13 PM »
I think Eusis was just referring to the practice of "derping" up someone's post in a quote to make a point.

Oooooooooooooooh, that makes sense. I was afraid Eusis went evil there for a moment.

Here's how silly the whole accent thing feels to me.

What I played:

What the remake sounds like:

Zendervai

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 04:19:45 PM »
I do sort of get why they did the accents, since the voice acting in Dragon Quest VIII was very well received, but that's just the thing. It was voice acting. Sure, you get the occasional person who is apparently incapable of understanding any English accent but their own, but that isn't very common. The V and VI got the occasional word or local idiom in a phonetic style giving the different areas a bit more of a flavor, but IV made some of the characters incomprehensible. Oh, now I'm just happy they didn't dub IV. Can you imagine all the horrible Russian and Scottish accents?

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 04:28:10 PM »
DW/DQ, the most linguistically diverse RPG series?

I mean, between all the accents and semi Middle English translation of DW 1...it's gotta be up there.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 05:35:19 PM »

This. It can be obnoxious to see, but if he's going to take a condescending approach like that to every opinion he doesn't agree with then we don't need him around.

Personally... yeah, those accents really were overdone. They reigned themselves in better for V but then it came out in the form of puns everywhere instead and seemingly arbitrary name changes so only I think two characters were left alone, and it sounds like a good chunk of them weren't even trying to adapt puns that were in the Japanese game. DQVI handled it best although that was still name change heavy, but it wasn't painfully so. However that was an 8-4 localization so it's less a change in philosophy and more a change in staff.