Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 08:38:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338085 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Lunar series/Working Designs.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: The Lunar series/Working Designs.  (Read 4517 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 09:45:38 PM »

Still, the point is that there are other companies doing what Working Designs did, doing it as good or better, and doing it in a more timely manner than WD ever did.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
GhaleonOne

GhaleonOne
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 10:13:11 PM »

Interestingly enough, IGN back in 2004 actually did have Lunar 3 in their release dates section for the PS2 with Working Designs listed as the US publisher, but every time I would e-mail or call their offices in regards to Lunar 3, the same response, "No information is available at this time." would always be given.

Never trust IGN with Lunar information. They've never been right. They've claimed a lot of things since Lunar 2's Playstation release (including a Lunar 2 remake on the Dreamcast that showed up on their release date lists for a while). They've been the worst of major outlets on news regarding the series. A site like RPGFan will be much better for information on a series like Lunar than IGN or others will be.

And really, I'd love to say there's a future for the series, but I can't say I hold a whole lot of hope for it. Though, it's always possible another game could come along. Everyone thought it was long since dead with Lunar Legend, and even moreso before Lunar DS was announced. Unforunately, if they're going to continue the series in Lunar DS style, I'd rather they just let it die. That was a horrible black mark on the series.

BTW, thanks for the linkage Ramza. :)

-G1
Amankhan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 12:15:48 AM »

Victor Ireland appears to have been posting over at NeoGAF for some time now.  Of course no way to be 100% sure that this is indeed Victor Ireland, ex-Working Designs, but chances are fairly good that it is indeed him.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1011415

Of particular note are a few posts where he makes allusions to Culdcept Saga & Earth Defense Force X being two of the titles that Gaijinworks might be translating right now.  I have no clue as to if there's any way to see if they indeed did get the license to those titles for a North American release, but hopefully someone in this forum might have some way of verifying that.
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 11:10:59 PM »

Vic has gripes with Sony, much the same as Sega. Just before WD's plug was pulled, Vic mentioned that they would be focusing on M$ 360's games instead.

Reason?

Well, Sony America is a bi*** for granting licenses to publish games that they think won't sell:

1. Games with 2D graphics.
2. Games with unconvential elements.

If you had followed the issues that WD encountered when they brought Growlanser over, you would have released that Sony was being a major a**.

Vic gave that as a reason to jump ship and throw support for Sony out the window.

If you are wondering why alot of niche titles don't make it over quickly or plagued with problems on Sony's consoles, blame Sony America.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 11:37:17 PM »

Atlus is publishing lots of quirky games now. And didn't they absorb a good many WD staffers? I mean Metal Saga and Steambot were both done by ex-WD employees as far as I know.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 11:48:36 PM »

While true to some extent, I think people exaggerate the problems with getting a game localized with SCEA authorization. Growlanser had to be thrown in a bundle. Growlanser also had graphics that weren't all that hot, and the games were pitifully short. Atelier Iris looks much better, and is of a respectable length. If Growlanser II and III either were longer or looked better (and remember, 3D =/= better in SCEA's own books), they probably would've given the OK for them to be sold separately.

And unconventional elements? What about that Katamari Damacy game? And Chulip seems to have gotten the OK, though it's taken forever to get published.

However, the PSP issues with requiring more content look to be completely true, unfortunately. It makes sense, but they could've just mandated that if there isn't sufficient new content, they have to release it at a budget price.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 12:33:05 AM »

Quote from: "Silverwolf X"
Well, Sony America is a bi*** for granting licenses to publish games that they think won't sell:

This is a load of bullshit. NIS America has said in an interview that Sony doesn't have problems with 2D, it's just a misconception.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 12:56:12 AM »

Lol Vic Ireland.

Relevancy: Working Designs is DEAD DEAD DEAAAAAAAAD and so, sadly, is Lunar.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 01:00:22 AM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Lol Vic Ireland.

Relevancy: Working Designs is DEAD DEAD DEAAAAAAAAD and so, sadly, is Lunar.

We can rest easy knowing that the death of Lunar is unrelated, though.
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 02:24:40 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"

This is a load of bullshit. NIS America has said in an interview that Sony doesn't have problems with 2D, it's just a misconception.

Sony is screwed up in its policy. It like taking the Japanese Vs US gamers report posted in the general gaming thread. Personally though, I feel that Americans are still better treated by Sony. Here in Asia, Sony treats the gaming community here like toxic waste. Europeans are screwed over by them as well, the 'death' of Lik Sang had caused boycotts for a short while, and a load of petitions and hate mail.

NIS has alot more funding in the long run. Do note that they are originally a Japanese company and it is the English speakers that lose out if they have to pull the plug in the US. Lets hope that scenario never comes again! Hint: Enix during the 16bit era.

WD's scenario was different. They had limited staff and were not a big company. The moment they get screwed over, they lose alot in terms of money. Vic was so fed up about negotiations with Sony he upped and left for M$, which is actually happy to have 1 more publisher under its belt. This was the same with Sega during its Saturn era, its former pathetic excuse for a President killed the chances for alot of good Saturn games ever getting published in the US and Vic if I remembered right, stated the WD boycotted Sega then because of that.

Sony is actually getting a wake up call of sorts, but at the end of the road, they STILL prefer fancy graphics over anything, and so do gamers as a majority.

So to sum it up, Vic now:

1. Hates Sega
2. Hates Sony
3. Loves M$
4. Considering Nintendo

Oh and about Lunar, wish GameArts decided on a proper sequel/prequel for once and not outsource the license. The last few Lunar games were... sad...
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 02:59:33 AM »

Sony is screwed up in its policy. It like taking the Japanese Vs US gamers report posted in the general gaming thread. Personally though, I feel that Americans are still better treated by Sony. Here in Asia, Sony treats the gaming community here like toxic waste. Europeans are screwed over by them as well, the 'death' of Lik Sang had caused boycotts for a short while, and a load of petitions and hate mail.

I can understand Europe, but Asia? What are you talking about?

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 03:12:37 AM »

Nippon Ichi Software, as a whole, may be a bigger company, but the staffing at NIS America is probably about the same size as WD was when they spent 3 years localizing Eternal Blue.

Sometimes I wonder if WD's fallout with Sony didn't have anything to do with ... DELAYS ...

Ramza

Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 03:14:59 AM »

Take note that the issue in Europe arised from Sony Europe enforcing its region rule and saying the action of gamers in the country importing games is illegal.

Importing something isn't illegal. Modding your PS2 is. The problem is Lik Sang was taken down because it imported Japanese and US consoles and software to European gamers, sick of waiting for localizations that may never come.

Thanks to that, alot of online game stores no longer supply to Europe because of that ruling.

Now if you apply that ruling, then Asia is in trouble, because support for the online features of the next gen consoles for Sony and Nintendo here is non-existant because those 2 companies here are well... ignorant.

Sony's gaming dept in Asia is so badly run, they even make up the letters in their very poor excuse of a monthly brochure!

Gamers in Asie rely heavily on importing. Those going with 360 are lucky that support from our local M$ is good, but Sony and Nintendo are a joke, it feels like monkeys are running them. Oh and Nintendo doesn't have an Asian branch, just a distributor called MaxSoft that runs their products like TYRANTs.

This is gettingw ay off topic, lets dicuss this ina  new topic in general gaming?
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 01:23:26 PM »

First of all, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe can't prevent individual gamers from importing games. They just imposed heavy fines against stores selling imported games. And even that rule did not apply to the whole of Europe. The only country where they were dead serious about enforcing this rule was Germany.

As for the WD issue, as others have mentioned before me, it is absolutely ridiculous to claim that SCEA's policy is to blame for WD closing shop. Atlus USA, NIS America, or XSeed for instance are all capable of localizing games and getting approval from SCEA much faster than WD. If I only release one game every 2-3 years (often in form of an expensive special edition), then it's my own policy, rather than SCEA's, that's to blame.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 01:57:36 PM »

I'm with Chris. The only thing that buried Working Designs was its inability to deliver product within a reasonable amount of time. Besides that, while I appreciate what WD did back in the day, their output was never very prodigious, and companies like Atlus and NISA have done a much, much finer job in bringing things over.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: