Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 12:00:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334710 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst RPG you've ever played.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print
Author Topic: Worst RPG you've ever played.  (Read 29318 times)
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2007, 01:42:56 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Oh snap... despite my assertion that Tecmo: Secret of the Stars is the worst RPG ever, Ashton had to remind me about Lufia: Ruins of Lore.  Oh my goodness, that game must have done everything in its power to piss me off.  I'm surprised I actually endured it for 14 hours.

I agree with Bernhardt on this one. Secret of the Stars not be the most exciting game on the planet, but it's simple, fun, and relatively well designed. Certainly, it feels EXTREMELY dated now, but it's pretty solid all in all.

And, honestly, Ruins of Lore was the only Lufia game I've ever enjoyed. The dungeons were interesting and varied, (and missing a lot of the tedious puzzles that I didn't like in Lufia 2). The job and skill system added a lot of fun too. Ruins of Lore is a bit like Secret of the Stars in the sense that there is nothing spectacular about it, it's just solid.

Eus- if you're going to go with drastic changes ruining a series, Shining Force by a longshot, man.  Any non-SRPG Shining Force game has been terrible.

As a fan of dungeon crawl games, I must say that I enjoyed Shining Soul 2 much more than any of the strategy RPG Shining games. I also thought Shining in the Darkness and Shining the Holy Ark were some of the best traditional RPGs I've ever played (both have top notch dungeon design). I think it's just a matter of genre preference on this: I tend to not enjoy SRPGs.

In any case, Dincrest, it seems that we are polar opposites on what we want from a game. We should definitely avoid making game recommendations for each other.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2007, 03:22:06 PM »

Games like Shining The Holy Ark, Shining in the Darkness, and Shining Soul I do not see as part of the Shining FORCE series.  I see Shining as an overarching umbrella with a bunch of sub-series, kinda like MegaTen.  

To me, anything with the Shining FORCE moniker should be an SRPG, and IMO Shining Force Neo and Exa were an embarassment to the series.  Not simply because they weren't SRPGs, but also because I didn't think they were very good games, period.      

If it's Shining Soul, Shining Star, or Shining Bagodonuts, it can do whatever the hell it wants.  But when I see Shining FORCE I have certain expectations.  It's like when I pick up a bottle of Jack Daniels.  I'd be really pissed off if all of a sudden I take a swig from a bottle of Jack and it tastes like strawberry kiwi lemonade instead of bourbon.  

Either way, it's impossible to pick an objective worst RPG.  We all have our own subjective criteria as to what we consider shit.  In any thread like this we see responses like Quest 64 (an almost universally panned RPG) to FF7 (which was a quality game.)  And then you have games like the NIS SRPGs where the reasons people love them are the same reasons people hate them.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2007, 03:54:48 PM »

Oh hey, I'm just going to say it because it's one of a very few number of games that have actually made me hate gaming as a concept, also primacy-recenty effect, but Odin Sphere.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2007, 04:58:36 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Example: the latest Sonic games. I imagine, objectively, they aren't really that much worse than your average Nickelodean-based or other such licensed game. However, this is SONIC, not Spongebob. Sonic games were once examples of great gaming, they shouldn't be reduced to such drivel.

I'll agree, the plots of Sonic games are terrible these days, and the characters look like friggin anatomically-incorrect animatronic puppets. They're even resorting to putting Squaresoft-looking characters into them. Check out the princess and plot footage here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ACSoDvoYvhg

Sonic wishes he was so part of Final Fantasy...
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2007, 07:13:51 PM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
Sonic wishes he was so part of Final Fantasy...

Lol, I think the only person who can save sonic now is Miyamoto... thankfully, he's trying. Ironic, isn't it?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2007, 09:49:04 AM »

Either way, it's impossible to pick an objective worst RPG.  We all have our own subjective criteria as to what we consider shit.  In any thread like this we see responses like Quest 64 (an almost universally panned RPG) to FF7 (which was a quality game.)  And then you have games like the NIS SRPGs where the reasons people love them are the same reasons people hate them.

Oh, totally. The thread should probably called "Your least favorite RPG ever", but then we wouldn't be able to argue about it as easily.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2007, 10:07:44 AM »

Quote from: "Willy Elektrix"
Oh, totally. The thread should probably called "Your least favorite RPG ever", but then we wouldn't be able to argue about it as easily.

Who are you kidding, we'd still argue over things like completely disregarding how much fun was had with a game because the story went stupid, IE SO3.

And good point Neal, I have no idea how that slipped my mind. :P

Edit: And there can be an objectively worst game in that the game is buggy as hell and, had it not for the bugs, been utterly mediocre and unmemorable. Case in point: Big Rigs. Just watch GameSpot's video review if you haven't.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2007, 11:51:44 AM »

Also the plots in Sonic were always terrible. Some fat guy kidnaps forest animals and turns them into robots for absolutely no reason!

Also it's Sonic. Butter Jesus Who Art In The Near of Cincinnati, WHY does the plot of a sonic games matter?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: June 13, 2007, 03:20:10 PM »

While I remember it......Legend of Legaia wasn't the worst.......but it was pretty damn dull.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: