Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 01:35:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340914 Posts in 13932 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst RPG you've ever played.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Worst RPG you've ever played.  (Read 29669 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 10:56:38 AM »

MS Saga wasn't *that* bad.  It was mediocre.  http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/mssaga/index.html (my review)

Absolute worst in terms of bad everything: Tecmo: Secret of the Stars.  Bad graphics, bad music, bad gameplay, bad story, bad everything... that RPG had absolutely NO redeeming qualities.  

Try playing that one and all your choices in this thread will seem like gold in comparison.  Even Quest 64.  

There are many RPGs out there that were good games that I disliked for whatever reason, but this is me at my most objective in terms of bad-ness.  A game like Skies of Arcadia is a very good RPG that I didn't like at all for whatever reasons, but it would be stupid of me to list that in a "worst RPG" conversation because it's actually a good game.  

It's like food.  Broccoli is a wonderful food high in nutrients, but I absolutely can't stand the taste.  I've tried it in multiple forms, given it a fair chance, and I still don't like it.  But just because I don't like it doesn't make it bad.

But if we're going to talk about disappointments where we were really excited about a game and it didn't live up to expectations, my biggest disappointment for 2006 is Contact.  http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/contact/index.html (my review)

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 11:22:37 AM »

I'm gonna go with Romancing SaGa.  I really hated that game.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 11:38:34 AM »

Oh snap, that reminds me:  I forgot about Unlimited SaGa.  Consider my vote changed. :P

PJade

neogeofanatic
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »

King Arthur & The Knights of Justice for the Super Nintendo, published by Enix America in 1995 is one of the worst RPG's I've ever played for any console. Awful. Just awful.

The game itself doesn't even play right, full of bugs, and reportedly was released only 20 percent completed upon its' arrival to store shelves. From what I understand, Enix America's license to the game was about to expire in late '95, and therefore I suppose they simply put out whatever they had ready to go to make the most out of the obscure cartoon license that they had acquired back in 1993.

Don't get me wrong, I *liked* the cartoon, but the game sort of ruined it for me.

PROTIP: Never trust anyone who has a signature 5X as long as their post.

And that's today's Video Power Edge!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 04:36:43 PM »

And Star Ocean II and PSC and Lunar II are also great, YOU ARE ALL GONNA GET STABBED.

Agreed. Who the hell didn't like Lunar 2? Wait...Gast didn't like Lunar 1, and our boy Darkrider didn't like Lunar 2....wtf!!!! this site used to be LunarNET, why do you work here?! :P

IMO, Lunar 2 is way better than Lunar 1, but both are *excellent*.

Legend of Legaia is fun! it's not THAT bad.

In fact, most of the games you all haven't liked...you're all crazy. There are so many crappier games out there, go play them!

Alundra 2

Yup. There's a terrible game!

Romancing SaGa.

Excellent game, best "open-ended" RPG in ages. You're insane.

I forgot about Unlimited SaGa. Consider my vote changed.

Very good. Lunar and Xenosaga > Unlimited SaGa.

King Arthur & The Knights of Justice for the Super Nintendo, published by Enix America in 1995 is one of the worst RPG's I've ever played for any console. Awful. Just awful.

Something I've never heard of. I need to check it out, cuz it sounds just that bad.

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2006, 07:34:45 PM »

Xenosaga. Slow, horrible gameplay and the plot, from what I remember, wasn't at all interesting. Boring, boring, boring.

And did someone say Lunar? ANY of the Lunars? Wow.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2006, 07:49:35 PM »

I'll be honest, I wasn't keen on Lunar 1 and 2 either, but I can see why they are held in high esteem as they are.  Good games.  

I still stand by my assessment that Bokosuka Wars and Tecmo: Secret of the Stars are the worst ever.  There is not a single redeeming quality about either of those games.  

I urge anyone to even try playing Secret of the Stars and that will forever change your mind on the badness of some of the games listed in this thread.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
PJade

neogeofanatic
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2006, 08:51:08 PM »

Something I've never heard of. I need to check it out, cuz it sounds just that bad.

The only review I know of for the game in question was on the defunct Gaming Intelligence Agency. Here's a link to the mirror site.

http://terror.snm-hgkz.ch/mirrors/thegia/sites/www.thegia.com/snes/ka/ka.html

I disagree with the editor's opinion that the cartoon was crap, as myself and many kids of the early 90's loved it. Definitely one of Allen Bohbot's better shows, than say, The Hurricanes.

However, I agree with just about everything else in that review.

PROTIP: Never trust anyone who has a signature 5X as long as their post.

And that's today's Video Power Edge!
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2006, 10:53:56 PM »

OH!

Consider my vote changed. Legend of Dragoon. GOD DID I HATE THAT GAME.

Not only was it an extreme FF7 knock off, but the battle system was just....ugh. I know some people like it, but not me!

I enjoyed Lunar: Dragon Song more than that dreck (though not by MUCH, mind you.).

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2006, 11:06:49 PM »

Quote from: "Lucca"
OH!

Consider my vote changed. Legend of Dragoon. GOD DID I HATE THAT GAME.

Whaaaa? D;

Why does LoD get so much hate? It's one of my all-time faves. The story, sure, was nothing much, but it had SOUL, dammit!

[/url]
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 12:01:54 AM »

It doesn't take a lot to keep me entertained, especially with RPGs, so I tend to like a lot of what I play.
That said, Suikoden 4 is honestly one of the few RPGs I've ever played that I truly hate. Ephemeral Fantasia comes in a close second.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 12:44:09 AM »

Maybe Daggerfall. Not so much because I thought it was bad in and of itself, but because the fan community jerks all over every idiotic non-feature it had like it was the greatest thing ever, and acts like Bethesda actually put effort into it. They didn't. It's a crappy, in-house 3D engine, with a crappy, in house random quest generator. There's all of jack and shit going on under the hood.  I've checked. We're talking sophomore project at Digipen, here.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 03:54:30 AM »

Not only was it an extreme FF7 knock off

Tell me, how?

I hear this whole "LoD is an FFVII clone" all the time, and it's a load of horse sh*t.

Did Legend of Dragoon have a battle system anything like 7? no.

Did it even attempt to copy the Materia system? nope.

Oh, how about its plot? Surely the plot is similar... oh, nope.

Similar music? Definitely not.

Here are the only three things I can think of that even make it remotely similar to FFVII:

1) bad guy with long silver hair...oh, there's a point we should all rub in! except for the fact that baddies with long silver hair is a staple of Japanese culture. DURRR... (and that "bad guy" turns out to be good in LoD)

2) similar graphics. That only goes for in-game, exploration graphics. FMVs and battles don't look the same at all.

3) it's a PS1 RPG that spans several discs. Oh my.

Shut up. Actually, don't shut up. Instead, tell me how far you got in the game so we can gauge how accurate your judgment is.

Why does LoD get so much hate? It's one of my all-time faves. The story, sure, was nothing much, but it had SOUL, dammit!

The overarching premise and mythos of LoD was decent IMO. The last few hours of the game, especially the last dungeon and boss, made it all worthwhile for me. Oh, and all of disc 3. And all of disc 2. Really, the only downer was disc 1, and that's cuz it was slow. But I'm glad you liked the game!

It doesn't take a lot to keep me entertained, especially with RPGs, so I tend to like a lot of what I play.

Sketch, you're in good company with me. It's hard for me to find major fault in a game...my scores as a reviewer tend to reflect this.

Ramza

EDIT: also wanted to respond to this fine post:

Maybe Daggerfall. Not so much because I thought it was bad in and of itself, but because the fan community jerks all over every idiotic non-feature it had like it was the greatest thing ever, and acts like Bethesda actually put effort into it. They didn't. It's a crappy, in-house 3D engine, with a crappy, in house random quest generator. There's all of jack and shit going on under the hood. I've checked. We're talking sophomore project at Digipen, here.

wait, people praised Daggerfall? Really? where?

Most people that I know bash Daggerfall and consider it the worst of the four Elder Scrolls titles. Like all of following games, Daggerfall was essentially "Arena" plus some extra frills. Of course, the graphical excellence and larger scope of Morrowind and Oblivion are enough to make you want to play them more than the oldschool Arena. But if I have to choose between Arena and Daggerfall...well...I think the choice is pretty obvious, even with the ugly pixelated NPCs. Arena ftw.

Ramza

Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 09:34:43 AM »

I too loved Legend Of Dragoon. I don't see where it's much at all like Final Fantasy 7. I hate FF 7 with a passion... It should have been called Final Sci-Fi 7 instead. Legend Of Dragoon had a decent story, fun gameplay, and 5 times the graphic prowess FF 7 had. And LOD was a fantasy, which is always better in my book.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 10:34:28 AM »

worst rpg in recent memory for me was dragon warrior 8. it wasnt a poorly made game i just hated it.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: