Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 09:10:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327320 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst RPG you've ever played.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Worst RPG you've ever played.  (Read 28805 times)
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 10:57:49 AM »

My main beef with Legend of Dragoon (besides some horribly cheap bosses like Grand Jewel and issues with money/items/EXP) was that the plot was pretty much a by-the-numbers RPG plot until disk 3 with the whole thing
Code:
about Rose and the Dragon Campaign of 11,000 years ago.
I thought *that* was more interesting than the whole Dart story.  

So basically, I chalk Legend of Dragoon as a classic case of the RPG world's mythos/backstory being more interesting than the one you're currently playing through.  This holds for Tales of Destiny as well.  I had fun with the game and it had some interesting aspects in the plot (I liked how religion was handled), but the whole backstory about the Aether Wars and how the Swordians came to be was more interesting than Stahn's quest and I wished the game could have been about that instead.  

EDIT: Oh snap: My old reader review of Bokosuka Wars http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/bokosuka/Bokosuka.html reminded of another RPG that was horrible beyond belief.  Bad music, bad graphics, bad gameplay, bad story, bad everything:  Super Hydlide for Genesis.  That game is even WORSE than Secret of the Stars, and we all know how much disdain I have for that game.    

So, yeah, 3 worst RPGs of all time, and this is me at my most objective:
-Super Hydlide
-Tecmo: Secret of the Stars
-Bokosuka Wars

I approve of this nonsense!
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2006, 12:20:39 PM »

My vote goes to Magna Carta.

I really tried to give this game a chance. In fact, I want to give it a second chance if I ever find another copy.

When I first tried it, I remember getting up to the tutorial of the battle system. Then, right after that, I just turned it off. It was so unappealing to me. Maybe it was just around the time that I bought it and I wasn't in the mood for a game like that. I'm not sure. This was the only game I've ever done this with though. I've never boughten a game, especially an RPG, that I haven't liked atleast a little bit, except for Magna Carta.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Krelian

pmtome@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2006, 02:42:19 PM »

another vote for unlimited saga, only the music and the art is good , the rest can burn in the hell

Sona mi areru ec sancitu
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2006, 03:04:06 PM »

Quote from: "Krelian_Hyuga"
another vote for unlimited saga, only the music and the art is good , the rest can burn in the hell

I thought the battle system was good. The only thing that brought it down was the exploration aspect of the game.

"Oh, a hunter..."
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2006, 03:16:51 PM »

You people need to find new games to hate. This is the exact same as every other "Worst RPG" topic. Boooring. You know what George Washington would say about this? Nothing. Because he's dead. And you killed him. From boredom.

... Granted, all of my assumed new candidates are either unfinished roguelikes that nobody ever played, RPGMaker games, or MMORPGs that died to fast for anyone to notice.

But still, we can all pretend, right?

... right?

(Phylomortis. Very, very Phylomortis. You just want to stare at it, shaked it, and scream, "WARUM BIST DU?")

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

B'Jyna

saybapon
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2006, 03:53:33 PM »

Shadow Madness. Close second is Ephemeral Fantasia.

"some girls are bigger than others, and some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers"
Amankhan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2006, 05:05:07 PM »

Beyond the Beyond

God that was a horrible game.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2006, 06:32:31 PM »

Since we were talking about LoD before, does anyone remember http://youtube.com/watch?v=hTO5OUYlAqk

Always was one of my favorite commercials.

I'd like to add Echo Night to the list. I'm not even sure if I could classify it an RPG, but it certainly isn't anything else, either.

[/url]
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2006, 06:52:08 PM »

Aw I liked Beyond the Beyond. It got really challenging towards the end, and it was very old-school and traditional.

Tsugunai: Atonement really sucked. I never managed to get outside of the first town due to extreme levels of boredom. Final Fantasy X-2 never appealed to me either, I just couldn't get into it.

But the worst RPG that I actually played through and beat? Hmm... that's a tough one. I don't think I can even answer that because every RPG I've completed I at least mildly enjoyed.

CarpeNoctumXIII
Banninated

CarpeNoctumXIII
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2006, 11:07:25 PM »

Oh, I recently played Archlord, and oh my god, that is THE worst MMO I've ever played. I hope it dies a quick horrible death, and SOON.

--Oh, please. Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God. ...Or perhaps you, too, are a sheep, Samantha. A poor little lamb, bleating for your faith as though it were milk of the poppy. Yet mark your savior well, for he is one of the demons you so fear, Samantha--
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2006, 11:49:47 PM »

Wow. I have stumbled upon total LoD fans. I'm afraid to answer (actually, I totally would, it's just my job keeps me too busy to go into the massive answers I normally would.)

The GRAPHICs are my biggest beef - from the main hero to the character designs SCREAM FF7 knock of to me more than the plot (I didn't make this clear -- sorry). I DID like Rose's overall plot arc, but Dart and Shana bored me to tears. Utter goddamn tears.

The battle system I hated. I know most people adore it but it's horribly clunky to me and feels tacked on to make this MASSIVE WONDERFUL RPG and I didn't care for it.

On top of this, the REST of the cast sans Rose was really stereotypical by the numbers RPG cast. I just felt this game was trying so hard to BE as nifty as FF7 and it fell short.

But hey! People told me to shut up sort of kind of (okay they took it back), so each their own!

...Don't hurt me.

PJade

neogeofanatic
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2006, 12:00:25 AM »

I too enjoyed Beyond the Beyond... Yeah, it was nothing special, but if you're an old-school purist like I am, there's no reason to avoid a good solid title like that one.

And Super Hydlide... goodness, I forgot all about that one.

Another mediocre 16-bit title that just came to mind earlier today was Lagoon. Certainly not the best RPG ever, but probably far from the worst.

And one more that for some reason some people seemed to enjoy but personally I for one could never get into it, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun for the Genesis. I used to rent it back in the day and remember getting so unbelievably frustrated with the gameplay and its' clunky controls. I personally felt the development and effort put into that particular title was severely lacking in so many areas. Probably the least desirable game that ever was churned out of the then Capcom-owned AD&D license.

PROTIP: Never trust anyone who has a signature 5X as long as their post.

And that's today's Video Power Edge!
PJade

neogeofanatic
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2006, 12:06:20 AM »

Quote from: "B'Jyna"
Shadow Madness. Close second is Ephemeral Fantasia.

Heh. I remember back when Shadow Madness originally came out, someone on the RPGFan forums making the joke soonafter,

"Silly rabbit... Americans can't make a good Japanese RPG."

=)

PROTIP: Never trust anyone who has a signature 5X as long as their post.

And that's today's Video Power Edge!
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2006, 09:42:40 AM »

I liked Beyond The Beyond as well. I was just happy to get any RPG for the PS1 came out. If anyone remembers right, Sony said they'd NEVER release an RPG for the PS1 because they wanted to distance themselves away from the SNES which was no. 1 at the time and a machine developed to handle RPG's. Beyond The Beyond was one of the very first RPG's for the system, so it was cool to get it, though the game did crash when I was traversing from level to level inside that tree.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2006, 02:46:51 PM »

Does anyone still have my old review laying around of Elemental Gimmick Gear?

Yeah. That game is the worst game ever made, regardless of genre. It's so fantastically boring that you can actually cure insomnia with it. I would know, I was diagnosed with insomnia at 13 years old, and playing this game bores me to the point where I actually fall asleep.

I think I threw it like a frisbee off of my apartment balcony, because I found out I'd get like $3 for it if I sold it.

EDIT: Yes, indeed, I did throw it off the balcony years back. I wasn't sure if it was that game or Rise of the Robots 2. Reason being is I took the other and put it into my friend Paul's woodchipper. Yeah. When I hate games I make sure no one else has to suffer them.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: