Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 04:41:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329271 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst RPG you've ever played.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Worst RPG you've ever played.  (Read 29025 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2006, 08:44:24 PM »

Might of Magic never had a legitimate console port after the SNES. Whatever one on the PSX you played was probably made by 3DO after they killed New World Computing.

Likewise, the Ultima series is excellent, but none of the console ports were even remotely good. Ultima 7 SNES was horrible and mangled and had very, very little to do with the original. Ultima 7 for the PC is one of my favorite games ever, and if you like plot-heavy RPGs that don't have a lot of stats or complex character building things to deal with -- and you're all primarily console RPGamers, so this should be the case -- then give it a try. You should like it :)

So yes, my least favorite RPG ever is Ultima 7, for the SNES.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

phan1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2006, 01:53:45 AM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Final Fantasy VIII. That can fucking burn.

I concurr.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2006, 07:39:20 PM »

Ya igral RPG "Tlon." Ochen' trudniy, neinteresniy, i slomaniy. Da, eto slamoye  plokhoye RPG. Also, George Washington is still dead.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Shadow Blade

shadowblade_x@hotmail.com shadowbladex8@ao
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2006, 09:27:11 PM »

Lunar Dragon Song. I have never been so frustrated from an RPG like this

What?!
Druff

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2006, 06:18:18 PM »

Drakkhen. I think that's how you spell it. This would have been back in late 1991, early 1992. I've done a pretty good job of deleting it from my memory. I remember it was very Lord of the Rings-ish. It was just very ponderous and... well, just not fun. No charm, no style. Just a typical AD&D rehash with zero creativity.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2006, 07:56:53 PM »

I always find threads like this amusing, where we have quality titles like main installment Final Fantasy games lumped in with genuinely bad games like Drakkhen, Super Hydlide and Tecmo Secret of the Stars as candidates for "worst RPG ever."

(On a subjective note, I still say that Drakkhen, Super Hydlide, and Secret of the Stars even make Quest 64 look like, sound, play, and tell a story like a gem.)

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2006, 08:07:56 PM »

I'm not really sure what the worst RPG I've played was, the worst I've beaten are probably BK and, to a greater degree in the gameplay department, XSII; while not genuinely horrible games (which some people seem to forget when talking about games like FFVIII), those two tended to bore and piss me off, and the latter only works if the game's also an assload of fun for all my trouble, ie Trauma Center.

However, for games I've tried period? I'm honestly not sure. Quest 64 was actually modestly entertaining, but was eclipsed by BoFIII for me, which we rented at the same time. And I don't wanna count things I played for something like 10 minutes. I think the worst one I actually played for at least a few hours may be Paladin's Quest, but even that I actually began to like some when I seriously tried it again a few years back. Nevertheless, it did scare me from non-Square and Nintendo RPGs until I tried out PSIV. Likely anything worse has been burned from my memory. :P

Edit: Actually, I dare say Evolution as well. That was pretty boring and I imagine that, objectively, it wasn't really that bad, but I just found it overwhelmingly dull. Good thing later systems had more worthwhile RPGs to pick up shortly after launch, like M&L2, Oblivion, and even Okage.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2006, 10:18:44 PM »

Since no one else has mentioned it yet (probably because it has barely any RPG elements), while I usually find something to like in an RPG, one game in particular was horrible beyond words: Crusaders of Might and Magic.  I like the description of the review for it at IGN since it really sums up a lot of my own feelings: "It's not as bad as being rolled in tacks, but it's close."  The only good thing about the game was the fact the main character was voiced by the same guy who did the Batman character in the cartoon series.  Uh, I think.  Anyway, the plot was horrible, the game balance and controls were horrible, and in general the game was just plain horrible.  

Glad I just rented it, because if I bought it I probably would have sold it. :P

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2006, 01:01:42 AM »

Paladin's Quest (aka Lennus) was an excellent RPG if you got past the presentation which was just downright weird - pascal colors galore for the graphics and repetitive, yet weird music.  I loved the magic system which used HP instead of MP (to heal, you used medicine bottles which could be refilled in town) and which used a "The more you use each field of magic, the more powerful they get" experience system.  I also loved how you had two permanent characters and two spots for mercenaries (nearly 40 of them if I remember correctly) and many characters had interesting quirks.  And surprisingly enough, after I played it for a while, the crazy weird graphics & music started actually appealing to me - really gave the whole experience an alien feel to it (which makes sense since it takes place in a sci-fi/fantasy world that's very odd).  The dungeon designs were well done from what I remember as well.

Man, now I want to replay it.  I'd also like to play the sequel which never got translated.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2006, 01:17:14 AM »

A big problem then, admittedly, was that 1. Way too different from what I was used to with FF, and 2. My playing style back then (read: run from all battles possible). I've become more open minded since, killing 1, and 2 was solved when playing CT and not knowing how the hell to run away (when it turned out the be the same as with FFIV and VI... I must not have seen Crono facing away right away or something), then seeing that combat can actually be /enjoyable/.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2006, 09:16:56 AM »

My only issue with Lennus/Paladin's Quest was that the color scheme used made my eyes hurt and if a game causes me physical pain, forget it.  The only other video game that has made my eyes go funny and even give me a mild headache was Skies of Arcadia with it's strobe effects on the special attacks.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2006, 09:31:37 AM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
Paladin's Quest (aka Lennus) was an excellent RPG if you got past the presentation which was just downright weird - pascal colors galore for the graphics and repetitive, yet weird music.  I loved the magic system which used HP instead of MP (to heal, you used medicine bottles which could be refilled in town) and which used a "The more you use each field of magic, the more powerful they get" experience system.  I also loved how you had two permanent characters and two spots for mercenaries (nearly 40 of them if I remember correctly) and many characters had interesting quirks.  And surprisingly enough, after I played it for a while, the crazy weird graphics & music started actually appealing to me - really gave the whole experience an alien feel to it (which makes sense since it takes place in a sci-fi/fantasy world that's very odd).  The dungeon designs were well done from what I remember as well.

Man, now I want to replay it.  I'd also like to play the sequel which never got translated.

Don't forget the ability to play through the entire game using just one hand!
blaq

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2006, 09:50:59 PM »

A tie between...

Legacy of the Wizard - Saga Frontier - Star Ocean:Till The End of Time - Xenosaga

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2006, 03:16:41 AM »

Xenosaga isn't my worst saga because it actually have a great storyline, gorgeous graphics, and superb music BUT the battle system and gameplay is a real piece of shit. No wonder why they had to stop at episode 3.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2006, 04:24:29 PM »

Let's see... Breath of Fire II, Final Fantasy II, Sword of Mana.

BoF II was essentially exactly the same as the original, except really annoying. The "save points only in towns" shit got annoying after the first hour long trek through a neverending cave with a just-about-manageable boss at the end. The bad translation didn't help the plot (unlike FF VII where it didn't matter), and I seem to remember never knowing quite what I was meant to do. I stopped playing when I missed the split-second window in which you had to feed some giant killer insect coming out of a hole, and had to go half way across the world map to get the item again...

Sword of Mana's stupid battle system really pissed me off when my main character kept dying as I was controlling the other one, leading to game over - and the sidekicks were completely useless unless you controlled them yourself. Tales of Phantasia's faults could at least be ignored by those of us who hadn't played the original, but this could make anyone cry.

And as for ff 2, I can see why Square stuck with levelling up for 15 years of rpgs - every time they've gone away from that, its been rubbish (is ff 12 the exception?). Though it was rather fun beating up your characters to get stronger, as was the ability to do stupid amounts of damage with no weapons equipped. Shame I never tried levelling up magic without actually casting any spells.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: