Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 02:18:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334822 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst RPG you've ever played.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print
Author Topic: Worst RPG you've ever played.  (Read 29336 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2006, 01:24:06 AM »

I'll make it my first priority to play Ephermeral Phantasia right through to the end then. ^_________^
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2006, 01:26:17 AM »

To do a fair comparison of which is worse, Secret of the Stars or Ephermeral Phantasia, sure. :P
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2006, 01:46:11 AM »

I think you have to attach a level of caring about a game for this determination though. I don't care about Secret of the Stars. It never connected with me, so while it's a terrible game, it's not worth my time to fuss over. FFVIII on the other hand did have elements I liked, but was terrible in the end. I have some investment in it, so it's worth discussing why. Same with SO3.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2006, 02:07:25 AM »

I think in this case then, there's a fine distinction between worst, and disappointing. Games like Secret of the Stars, Ephermal Phantasia, or to jump completely out of the genre, Big Rigs are genuinely horrible games. FFVIII and SO3 certainly are /not/. But they can, and have been seriously disappointing for failing to live up to hype, the promise the concept had, or the initial parts of the game. But they don't have horrible design and/or programming that simply /does not work/(Well ok, SO3 had some issues with the AI, but it generally worked), or were at least utterly unmemorable.

Certainly though, if you've played a very small number of RPGs or only the best, then it's easy for games like FFVIII, CC, or SO3 to be the worst you've played, but that still doesn't truly make them bad games.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2006, 02:24:31 AM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
I didn't care about Secret of the Stars to begin with, whereas I did with Final Fantasy VIII, therefore Final Fantasy VIII is the worst game I've played despite being superior to the former in every way.

blaq

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2006, 09:04:35 AM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Quote from: "Leyviur"
I rest my case.

I know what you're still on about and the case doesn't work. Just let it go. Two weeks is a pretty good litmus for an RPG. FFXII on the other hand has kept going for /months/ of awesome now, and being 57 hours in, I find it hard to believe this is going to change. Kind of like how FFIX was awesome up until the end, and while it kinda fell apart then, it still ranks as one of my favourite games.

So yeah... just let it go already. :P

You sound alot like me in general.  :lol:  

You may need to adopt my  policy that I created while I was suffering thru Magna Carta: Tears of Blood.  It's called the "5 Hour Rule."  If a game can't dig itself out of the pit of whackness in 5hrs, I cut it loose.  :lol:

blaq

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2006, 09:05:59 AM »

Quote from: "TurnBasedDude"
I am near the end of SO3 and I mainly stopped due to now nasty the steep difficulty curve has risen. Talk about cheap :/

I remember that feeling when I played.  Difficulty is cool with me.  But when developers utilize cheap tricks and gimmicks to fake difficulty, I lose respect.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2006, 09:06:39 AM »

I used to have the 5 hour rule, but I upped that to a 10 hour trial period, because 5 hours isn't quite enough for an RPG to really get started.

Look at Xenogears.  That game took about 10 hours before the story really picked up and the story was phenomenal.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
blaq

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2006, 09:07:20 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
I think in this case then, there's a fine distinction between worst, and disappointing. Games like Secret of the Stars, Ephermal Phantasia, or to jump completely out of the genre, Big Rigs are genuinely horrible games. FFVIII and SO3 certainly are /not/. But they can, and have been seriously disappointing for failing to live up to hype, the promise the concept had, or the initial parts of the game. But they don't have horrible design and/or programming that simply /does not work/(Well ok, SO3 had some issues with the AI, but it generally worked), or were at least utterly unmemorable.

Certainly though, if you've played a very small number of RPGs or only the best, then it's easy for games like FFVIII, CC, or SO3 to be the worst you've played, but that still doesn't truly make them bad games.

Agreed.  A better way to put it is "What's the worst EXPERIENCE you've had with an RPG."

At the end of FFVII, I realized that I hated ALOT about the game, but I couldn't deny that it was a good game.  It was just a good game that I didn't like.  Or better, a good game that I had a bad experience playing.

blaq

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2006, 09:09:37 AM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
I used to have the 5 hour rule, but I upped that to a 10 hour trial period, because 5 hours isn't quite enough for an RPG to really get started.

Look at Xenogears.  That game took about 10 hours before the story really picked up and the story was phenomenal.

Xenogears got put on the shelf after I think about 8hrs for me.  I would have rather just read the Xenogears book.  It would have been less tedious and more enjoyable to read Xenogears as a book rather than play a halfassed game.

as long as a game shows some promise within 5hrs I'll stick with it.  hell, I aint quit Suikoden 5 until the final dungeon.  And I did that solely based on principal.  lol

salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2006, 01:09:32 PM »

Quote from: "blaq"

Agreed.  A better way to put it is "What's the worst EXPERIENCE you've had with an RPG."

At the end of FFVII, I realized that I hated ALOT about the game, but I couldn't deny that it was a good game.  It was just a good game that I didn't like.  Or better, a good game that I had a bad experience playing.

that the point! i dont think there exist any game that is "good but you had bad experience playing" if someone of us dont enjoy from rpg he the worse for him and that only thing that matter of course there are some games that aolmst everyone out here consider "worse"  but it didnt made the other "good"  i think that   mystic quest is one of the worse and so  think the most of the gaming world but i actually think that vagrant story is the worse rpg ever it really unenjoybale to me but it aolmst have "parfect" status and i wil never wil think that it good game that i have bad experince with the fact that it have good promise and good
gameplay idea that not got good Execut only make it worse than mystic quest that are completly worse in all its part
blaq

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2006, 01:42:14 PM »

Quote from: "salinger"
Quote from: "blaq"

that the point! i dont think there exist any game that is "good but you had bad experience playing" if someone of us dont enjoy from rpg he the worse for him and that only thing that matter of course there are some games that aolmst everyone out here consider "worse"  but it didnt made the other "good"  i think that   mystic quest is one of the worse and so  think the most of the gaming world but i actually think that vagrant story is the worse rpg ever it really unenjoybale to me but it aolmst have "parfect" status and i wil never wil think that it good game that i have bad experince with the fact that it have good promise and good
gameplay idea that not got good Execut only make it worse than mystic quest that are completly worse in all its part

I dig what you are saying.  But I'm talking about the difference between fact and opinion.

Factually speaking, there is ALOT good about FFVII.  The materia system was solid, leveling was balanced, controls were on point most of the game, etc.

But for my tastes/opinion, I hated the characters, the story and the dullness of the combat system. (especially when you couldn't skip the 20 second summon and spell scenes.) lol.

Objectively, I contend that the game was above average.  Subjectively, it had ALOT of gameplay isms that I hated.  Especially raising and racing friggin chocobos.  lol

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2006, 04:24:58 PM »

Yeah, I hated the fact the only way to get Knights of the Round was through Chocobo raising, and I never managed most of the other subquests. Truth be told, I never managed to do most of the subquests in most FF games. I liked the SNES FFs' subquests because they were actually doable without a strategy guide, even FF 6's dragons. Though bloody FF X's optional bosses, who did 9999999999999999999 damage per hit, were so fucking hard anyway so a guide wouldn't have helped. There was a lot that could've been better about that game.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2006, 03:45:41 PM »

Ok, I remembered what the worst RPG I've seriously played at all was. Forget BK and XS2, those had redeeming qualities and just didn't work for me. Forget Paladin's Quest, I actually started to enjoy that when I was older. And forget Evolution, that was just bland and dungeon crawling focused.

No, I'll be a bit more mindless and name an FF as the worst... That is, Final Fantasy II, and I mean the Japanese game for all 2 that still think of FFIV when you see that. Easily the worst of the main FFs, and while you can forgive it for trying to be experimental, the design is seriously broken when you can level up via beating up teammates and constantly selecting than canceling spells... And do this to the point where the game is virtually /impossible/ (or so I hear) to beat, with regular enemies tearing off giant chunks of your HP with normal attacks, hemroging stats if you happen to win, and requiring you to save and reload every step should you run into an encounter. Combine this with just being boring as hell (none of this 'you just don't like oldschool' crap either, I played through and enjoyed DWII and III just a year ago), and we have a genuinely bad main FF, or at least as close as possible. :P
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2006, 04:19:00 PM »

Grand Master: Figuring out how to get Knights of the Round is admittingly very tough and time consuming, if you have no idea, how to do it. Then again, sidequests these days are often near impossible to do without the help of guide. I have to admit I couldn't be bothered to figure out how to get Knights of the Round by myself, so I just looked it up. It takes about three hours to do, but I always found it worth the time. And while you admittingly needed a guide for many optional things in Final Fantasy VII, most of the optional stuff (leaving aside the Ancient Weapon battles against Emmy and Ruby) was not that challenging or time-intensive. At least compared to some of Final Fantasy X's final weapon quests or those optional bosses. Even completing all Segment Addresses in Xenosaga Episode III is definitely way more challenging than most of the sidequests Final Fantasy VII throws at you.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: