Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 11:57:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331708 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst RPG you've ever played.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print
Author Topic: Worst RPG you've ever played.  (Read 29157 times)
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2006, 04:47:04 PM »

Optional bosses in MegaTen games are insanely hard if you aren't that good, i've noticed. Take the Fiends in Nocturne: Matador killed me in a few turns every time first time i played it; Daisoju was evil; and the Four Riders were about the only bosses at that point in the game (I never finished it) that actually needed lots of stat-reducing/raising in order to beat. And there isn't much that can be done to stop Beelzebub Fly in DDS from wiping out your whole party with his Death Flies attack. FF's bosses seem lightweight by comparison...

Quote from: "Eusis"
... And do this to the point where the game is virtually /impossible/ (or so I hear) to beat, with regular enemies tearing off giant chunks of your HP with normal attacks, hemroging stats if you happen to win, and requiring you to save and reload every step should you run into an encounter. Combine this with just being boring as hell (none of this 'you just don't like oldschool' crap either, I played through and enjoyed DWII and III just a year ago), and we have a genuinely bad main FF, or at least as close as possible. :P

That sounds like MegaTen difficulty level to me. Heck, most NES games are a lot harder than a lot of current-gen titles. But I found FF II to be even harder than the surprisingly-hardcore FF I - thats something to do with each dungeon having monsters 10 times more powerful than the last, i think. I dunno, but the gba versions of ff's 1 and 2 seem a lot easier than the playstation ones - but my friend who played that is some kind of freakish videogame god, so thats hardly an indication. :P
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2007, 01:51:37 PM »

Ephemeral Fantasia

Gawd... I can't believe I completed it... much less reviewed it for RPGFan.. now that I look back... I must have been nuts... -.-;;
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2007, 05:15:01 PM »

Okay, I only played a part of the FF2 remake, but I never found it essential or really meaningful to constantly attack your own guys, and the select/cancel bug was too slow for me to even feel like going near. I don't know if things were toned down in the remake or what. I do take issue with the stat down thing.  I never saw the point in that.

Also, the way to increase skills wasn't really well refined. taking hits honestly DOESN'T make sense for gaining HP. The other SaGa games and Legend of Mana just adopted a, uh... thing where using different kinds of weapons raised different stats, and the breakdown there generally made pretty good sense. I also thought this worked better than having individual weapon skill stats. In generally I'm into things that are more transparent than giving weapons individual skills. In the RS games and FFL2, it just seemed like another axis that didn't really do anything. Unlimited Saga and FFXII have similar concepts, but in those games its not HOW much damage the weapons do, but more what skills you can do with your weapons and what weapons you can equip, respectively.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"

Also, the way to increase skills wasn't really undefined. taking hits honestly DOESN'T make sense for gaining HP.

Contact seems to work this way too.  The more Terry gets hit, the better his constitution becomes (though his outfits influence HP as well.)  It's the whole "whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger."  Kinda like developing a thick skin.  

In the same vein, the more Terry moves, the fleeter of foot he becomes.  The more he uses X, Y, or Z type of weapon, the better his proficiency.

If you read my review, it's obvious I didn't like that game much.  

Still, Tecmo: Secret of the Stars and Super Hydlide are the worst ever in my mind.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2007, 08:37:29 PM »

Anyway, I can't remember if I already mentioned this in the thread, but there was an old multi-platform games called Alternate Reality: The City. It was never finished in proper, for one thing, so all of the interesting looking features in the city just threw errors about not existing yet.

Normally this wouldn't be THAT major, however the rest of the game lacks any meaningful gameplay. You can buy clothes, get diseases, buy drinks for people, get hungry and eat and drink YOURSELF. you can also take on little jobs. This sounds neat; however, getting hungry and thirsty and tired are the ONLY things that happen, jobs involve selecting a job and getting a message saying you did the job and got paid, the clothes do nothing, and the diseases are vaguely neat sounding, but again, there's no actual game there.

Occasionally you can see NPCs. You can kill them.

Okay, basically, the last thing wouldn't be a problem. I like Dragon Wars. I KIND OF like the old Bard's Tales games. Those don't have a lot of NPC interaction. They had things like overarching quests, though. This game has nothing.

Normally this wouldn't bug me, but a great many people actually consider this the greatest game of all time and they think it gives them unparalleled freedom. Uh... to do what, get scurvy and take on lame, uninteractive jobs?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Magic Pink

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2007, 04:03:34 PM »

Dragon Quest VIII. Totally, utterly, completely boring. The most "been there done that" feeling I've ever gotten from a game.  The game was so lacking in any kind of innovation it actually sucked in three of my innovative games before I could stop it and devoured it.

Admittedly wrapped up in a fantastic package, tho.

edit: Whoops, I thought this was worst this year. DQ8 definitely isn't the worst ever. I'm not even sure what that would be.

But for the record, I LOVED Unlimited Saga. Thing is, it's not an RPG. It's just a ridiculously complex puzzle game.
Ace Comics

aceofspadescomix aceofspadescomics
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2007, 09:08:29 PM »

Hey all,
Long time lurker, first time poster...

The worst RPG I've played was Shining Tears.

Bought that with my brother when we wanted to play a "Secret of Mana-ish" game together.  What a huge disappointment that was.

I see that LoD is a very divisive game... I picked that game up upon release, and really enjoyed the first few hours of it (battle system and all), but ultimately just couldn't find myself caring at all about the characters.  I think I've still got a gamesave of it somewhere... but, can't get past my general disinterest of the party.

-Chris
Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2007, 04:23:47 PM »

I try to steer clear of bad games in general, but sometimes in my youth, I had to in my boredom endure what I believe to be worst RPG.
If memory serves me right, it was a Playstation game called Shadow Madness.

God, that game was just terrible. Thankfully, I don't remember much of it though. I recall a pit of something that resembled humans writhing in agony, and a playable character that was a floating severed head. And that the main character wore a red bandanna.

Yeah, that's about it.

I will find you. Without fail.
concrete donkey

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2007, 07:20:24 AM »

suikoden 3. i hate it. worst rpg ever. or maybe most.boring.rpg.ever.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2007, 07:21:58 AM »

Quote from: "concrete donkey"
suikoden 3. i hate it. worst rpg ever. or maybe most.boring.rpg.ever.

You've clearly only played awesome RPGs if SuikIII's the worst you can name.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2007, 07:50:12 AM »

Quote from: "Magic Pink"
Dragon Quest VIII. Totally, utterly, completely boring. The most "been there done that" feeling I've ever gotten from a game.  The game was so lacking in any kind of innovation it actually sucked in three of my innovative games before I could stop it and devoured it.

Admittedly wrapped up in a fantastic package, tho.

edit: Whoops, I thought this was worst this year. DQ8 definitely isn't the worst ever. I'm not even sure what that would be.

But for the record, I LOVED Unlimited Saga. Thing is, it's not an RPG. It's just a ridiculously complex puzzle game.

Umm...DQ8 came out in 2005...?

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2007, 09:05:56 AM »

I tend to forget entirely about games and experiences that have displeased me. Some, however, are big enough stains to never be forgotten.

Like Final Fantasy X-2. A number of factors made me quit. The fact that gameplay was barebones, back to FF's retro roots, while packaged in contemporary graphics; no Overdrives, no Summons, the only killer apps they gave you were those special costumes for which a character got three turns, and all of the EXP of the battle for themselves.

Jumping was useless; you had to approach ledges in order to jump or climb them, you couldn't just press the button and jump like you did in Xenogears; back in FFVII, I didn't even need to press any buttons in order to jump a ledge that I was supposed. Plus, if they hadn't made Super Mario Bros. terrains out of the dungeons, jumping would've been entirely unnecessary.

Then there was that stupid coin game. I'd swear I'd won that thing at least 3 times over, but the game told me I'd lost each time, and I didn't get that Dressphere. Forget that...

The extra dungeons were graphically blank and uniform, and tacked on in the weirdest places. There were only about four of them, anyway.

It was just a dungeon-crawling level-builder with cut scenes thrown in here and there.

So much for Yuna Raider...they would've been better off making it an action-style game, if you asked me.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2007, 10:21:56 AM »

Looking at the dates, this is one helluva topic bump.

I take back my previous entries, FFII and Paladin's Quest. Makes me seem fickle as hell, but the worst RPG I've played is Double Dungeon. The combat is only beaten in simplicity by progress quest, as all you have to do is walk up to an enemy, mash in a button until you die or they die. You can also go through items to restore your health and... That's it for inventory. You buy new weapons, they replace your old ones, /and/ you don't get your money back. Each dungeon looks exactly the same, with the exact same music, and the co-op mode's weak too.

Worst 6 bucks ever.

Edit: Helps that I hear recent releases of FFII (or at least the PSP one) went and made the game digestable.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2007, 08:32:13 PM »

Suikoden 4 and Forever Kingdom.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2007, 09:50:35 AM »

It's between FFII (for the same reasons as Eusis stated), Suikoden IV, Vandal Hearts II and King's Quest IV.

Suikoden IV - the painfully slow sailing speed and encounter rate out at sea causes it to be unplayable for me, regardless of any other qualities it has.
Vandal Hearts II - a strategy/rpg minus the strategy, due to the ridiculous dual turn system which makes your every move guesswork.
King's Quest IV - I don't know how the other games in the series compare, but the movement speed is so sloooooooooowww, especially turning, again rendered unplayable.

None of these games are bad in every aspect, but I can't play any of them because the gameplay is just terrible.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: