Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 02:18:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334852 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raidou vs. the Super Power Army
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raidou vs. the Super Power Army  (Read 6553 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2006, 06:47:32 PM »

Apparantly this just came out a week ago in Japan, and since we haven't had a topic yet on these boards, I'm starting this up. Anyone heard any opinions from importers and the like on this game? Still think it looks awesome, 'course. :P

Also, 1up's got a trailer with the intro and gameplay footage, and the demon fusion.
Extwin

imlzeronx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 06:59:18 PM »

Wow... I like how the gameplay looks

Mostly lurks, with good reason
Obviously, I'm a genius...The Darkrider said so
Me: So, Mom, where are you going in the U.K.?
Mom: Ware
Me: Yeah, where?
Mom: No, Ware.... W-A-R-E
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 08:09:04 PM »

I just heard of this today and being in relation to the SMT seires, I was interested and looking at the trailer moakes me want it more. I intend to aquire it myself though I can only comment on how the game is like due to my lack of understanding japanese text.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 08:13:57 PM »

I am stuck.  Can anyone who is playing this tell me what in the crap I am supposed to do for the third tutorial fight?

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 08:15:42 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
I am stuck.  Can anyone who is playing this tell me what in the crap I am supposed to do for the third tutorial fight?

If the movie on 1up's site is any indicator... Catch the monster in the 3rd fight?
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 02:26:58 AM »

The opening trailer movie looks incredible, but as far as the combat....it looks a bit bland if you ask me. But what do I know? I don't import, you guys tell me. Cool how you can summon monsters, though. Everything else looks spot on.

And knowing how much I enjoyed past SMT games, I'll probably adore this one.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 04:59:37 AM »

1up's new preview.

Holy shit. That could easily kick DDS's ass and become my fave MegaTen game on the merit of gameplay alone.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 05:30:21 AM »

Adventure style gameplay combined with SMT sensibilites? You've got to be kidding me? This is going to be the best game ever. I really like the sound of the battle system, too - a variation of the Press Turn system taking place in real time is a very interesting idea.

This game can't be released in the US soon enough.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 10:05:20 AM »

I guess you guys missed me flipping out about this around January . . . ?

Yeah, this is going to be pretty much the best thing ever.

Gorelab

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 11:00:07 AM »

Is it just me or did the trailer say Taisho 20? Wouldn't that be 1932? So I'm guessing this game occurs in some alternate reality where the Taisho emperor and Rasputin didn't die when they were supposed to?
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 11:23:15 AM »

Gorelab- That's an excellent observation.  The Devil Summoner subseries in the Megami Tensei umbrella loves alternate realities.  Heck, the previous Devil Summoner games (Devil Summoner and Devil Summoner 2: Soul Hackers) were themselves an alternate reality on the SMT realm.  

See, partway through SMT 1
Code:
US President Thorman sets off a bunch of ICB missiles that decimate Tokyo and plunge the world into an apocalypse.  Hence, SMT 2 is set in the post apocalyptic future.  

But Devil Summoner takes a whole "what if?" regarding that whole scenario.  In those games,
Code:
US President Thorman is killed and the missiles don't go off.
 So everything turns out differently.  

With SMT, your main enemy is "God" but in Devil Summoner, your main enemy is more tangible; Sid Davis in Devil Summoner and his Phantom Society in Soul Hackers.  

One thing the Devil Summoner games added to the SMT formula was the idea of "demon loyalty" where you had to give your minions tokens and such to keep them loyal to you, or they wouldn't do your bidding in battle.  From what I understand, it got ridiculous in the first game and horribly skewed the difficulty balance.  I liked the GUMP (GUn type coMPuter) that the Devil Summoner protagonists got to equip.  More cumbersome than the arm-type computers from SMT, but certainly more badassed.  

I remember in the interview in the Eternal Punishment fandisk that Kaneko and Okada wanted to have a MegaTen game set in an earlier era, because though the games were usually set in modern or post-modern times, the whole idea of persona, demonology/ demon summoning, and all the dark spirituality are concepts that are universal throughout time and were oftentimes a greater part of more ancient cultures when people believed more in magic than in science.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 02:05:41 PM »

Quote from: "Gorelab"
Is it just me or did the trailer say Taisho 20? Wouldn't that be 1932? So I'm guessing this game occurs in some alternate reality where the Taisho emperor and Rasputin didn't die when they were supposed to?

Taishou 20 would have been 1931. Still, this game definitely looks interesting. I'm not sure whether I will like the gameplay, but visually it looks intriguing.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 03:09:50 PM »

This sounds freakin amazing.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 09:38:40 PM »

This entire game sounds like it's made of gold and win.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 09:51:06 PM »

From what I heard from the sample videos at the japanese website, the music is incredibly kickass as well.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: