Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 12:07:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334695 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New "Secret Of Mana" for home consoles on the way
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New "Secret Of Mana" for home consoles on the way  (Read 1387 times)
zodiar333

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2014, 03:38:32 PM »

Hope we will somthing soon

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/30/rise-mana-producer-wants-release-next-major-mana-game-two-years/
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 03:46:52 PM »

Do you actually post anything besides links to info that were posted elsewhere?

TASTY!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 04:59:21 PM »

Huh, the producer is actually trying to guage what console the fans want the next game on instead of just relying on console numbers. That's admirable. It would be nice if they could make something for the PS3 or 4, I'd gladly take a 3DS game if it means it'll be successful.

EDIT: And I agree that posting a quote with a small summary would be nice. I tend to post on an iPad, and Siliconera has a terrible mobile site that crashes a lot and is difficult to navigate, so it would be nice if I didn't have to use my computer every time I wanted to read your news links...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:02:03 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 05:31:01 PM »

A more substantive post would be nice, but let's try to be nice ;)

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 05:36:47 PM »

Do you actually post anything besides links to info that were posted elsewhere?

I'd say that its probably a spam bot unless it refutes my claim.

As for the topic at hand, this is Squeenix we're talking about, so call me when there's something worth talking about (like a game being out and dishing on impressions).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 06:11:14 PM »

Hey, at least he's not just posting links to his own youtube videos...

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 07:49:10 PM »

Hey, at least he's not just posting links to his own youtube videos...

We should hire him as a news guy?  But I agree, I find the YouTube posts far more obnoxious

Also, on topic, i'm cautiously optimistic.... I would love to see something cartoony for a home console from square

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 10:15:25 PM »

The more recent Mana titles haven't been great, so I can't say I'm excited.

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:40:48 PM »

Ok.. I'm willing to fall victim to overtly idealistic hope that an epic home console Mana title will (someday) come. Its nice to have hope. Even if it proves false! LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:26:40 PM »

Allow me to chime in with my obligatory comment about how I never thought much of any of the Mana games anyway. Secret of Mana was pretty good, but still manages to fall pretty low on my favorite SNES RPGs.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 02:06:01 AM »

Allow me to chime in with my obligatory comment about how I never thought much of any of the Mana games anyway. Secret of Mana was pretty good, but still manages to fall pretty low on my favorite SNES RPGs.

While Secret hasn't aged as well as other classic SuperNES era RPGs, it still 'is' a classic SuperNES era RPG. It's basically that stepping stone between FFs IV and V plus games like DQV, and FFVI plus games like Chrono Trigger and DQVI. Also, despite the issues that plagued it's implementation, its probably got one of the best implemented FF2 style 'use to level' systems this side of the PS2 era (though it still had issues thanks to dumb crap like the Girl and Sprite's weapon levels rising half as fast as the Boy's despite the fact that they also had to focus on raising their spell levels), and the multiplayer aspect wouldn't see a match till the PS2/GameCube era (at least in terms of having an FF style JRPG with actual multiplayer interaction).

And while I'm here:

FFA was actually very good for its time considering that it even predated the game that Link's Awakening was built off of, For Whom the Frog Bell Tolls. That said, its plot is totally an 80s anime and a lot of its assets came from the FF games before it.

SD3 was probably the last good game in the series, but its also the one that every game since has borrowed the most from (while pretty much ignoring SDs 1 & 2). It's also less of an upgrade from Secret and more of a sidegrade by switching out the FF2 'use to level' system for classes and three marginally alternate campaigns and not doing much else.

Legend was an amazing, half broken, piece of crap. Unfortunately, in spite of it's amazingness, the game's still ultimately a half broken piece of crap. Its also where everything that wasn't derived from SD3 was derived from. It's also a product of the Summer of Square (which also gave us Chrono Cross and Threads of Fate) which wasn't too bad since the game quality was overall good when taken on the whole, but it was also the start of Square's (later Squeenix's) love affair with compilations.

Sword somehow managed to take in parts of the entire series up to its release (including remaking the first game), and still coming up with something that felt incredibly shallow and half-assed. It says a lot when you have the plot of a GameBoy game fly almost completely off the rails due to over-characterization and simply saying more than they actually had to say.

Then the entire World of Mana compilation was complete garbage. Full Stop.

And then there was Dawn (which while technically also part of the World compilation, was also its own entity and what the World compilation was building up too) which was a janky action platformer that made Kingdom Hearts 1 look good by comparison. It was also a game that was almost entirely about designers at Squeenix running around and shouting "Look at us! We're using the Havok Physics engine like all the westerners use.".

There's also Circle and Rise, the former being yet another Japan only CCG, and the latter is something I have yet to hear the verdict on.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 03:22:23 AM »

While Secret hasn't aged as well as other classic SuperNES era RPGs, it still 'is' a classic SuperNES era RPG. It's basically that stepping stone between FFs IV and V plus games like DQV, and FFVI plus games like Chrono Trigger and DQVI. Also, despite the issues that plagued it's implementation, its probably got one of the best implemented FF2 style 'use to level' systems this side of the PS2 era (though it still had issues thanks to dumb crap like the Girl and Sprite's weapon levels rising half as fast as the Boy's despite the fact that they also had to focus on raising their spell levels), and the multiplayer aspect wouldn't see a match till the PS2/GameCube era (at least in terms of having an FF style JRPG with actual multiplayer interaction).

And while I'm here:

FFA was actually very good for its time considering that it even predated the game that Link's Awakening was built off of, For Whom the Frog Bell Tolls. That said, its plot is totally an 80s anime and a lot of its assets came from the FF games before it.

SD3 was probably the last good game in the series, but its also the one that every game since has borrowed the most from (while pretty much ignoring SDs 1 & 2). It's also less of an upgrade from Secret and more of a sidegrade by switching out the FF2 'use to level' system for classes and three marginally alternate campaigns and not doing much else.

Legend was an amazing, half broken, piece of crap. Unfortunately, in spite of it's amazingness, the game's still ultimately a half broken piece of crap. Its also where everything that wasn't derived from SD3 was derived from. It's also a product of the Summer of Square (which also gave us Chrono Cross and Threads of Fate) which wasn't too bad since the game quality was overall good when taken on the whole, but it was also the start of Square's (later Squeenix's) love affair with compilations.

Sword somehow managed to take in parts of the entire series up to its release (including remaking the first game), and still coming up with something that felt incredibly shallow and half-assed. It says a lot when you have the plot of a GameBoy game fly almost completely off the rails due to over-characterization and simply saying more than they actually had to say.

Then the entire World of Mana compilation was complete garbage. Full Stop.

And then there was Dawn (which while technically also part of the World compilation, was also its own entity and what the World compilation was building up too) which was a janky action platformer that made Kingdom Hearts 1 look good by comparison. It was also a game that was almost entirely about designers at Squeenix running around and shouting "Look at us! We're using the Havok Physics engine like all the westerners use.".

There's also Circle and Rise, the former being yet another Japan only CCG, and the latter is something I have yet to hear the verdict on.

That was excellent and accurate summary of Mana Aeolus. Albeit, appropriately cynical in its tone... that made "LoL"

Reading your summary made me realize just how badly I need to re-experience LoM and someday FFA for the hell of it.

I will however disagree subtly and say that I feel Dawn does have a leg up on Kingdom Hearts 1 in terms of art direction at least. I HATE the KH original character designs. At least Dawn pulled off something I could deem as "pretty" to look at.

Last year I replayed SoM2 (Secret of Mana) and SD3 and had a ball. Terrible mechanics but the magic has NOT been lost to the ages for me. And those soundtracks, good golly are they epic.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
King_Tetiro
Grandpa Pixel

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 08:15:18 AM »

I really really hope this is true. Secret of Mana was incredible and I always looked forward to another console release.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 12:09:19 PM »

I'll say the World of Mana games tended towards being just eh, but what's really annoying is they all just needed a bit more work. Except Children of Mana. That one actually felt complete but it was so basic, and the plot was nothing special. Heroes of Mana actually had a really good plot, but it was blatantly a tech demo for Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings. And Dawn of Mana...that really needed gameplay polish, and maybe changing the level up system so that you still collect the tokens, but you don't start from square one every single area.

When you put the whole series together, though, the Mana Goddess is incredibly weak and incompetent. Or Mana Goddesses I guess. They keep dying and the one time she actually does something active, it results in the Scion of Mana and a Mana Storm threatening the entire world. Hell, she only directly gives the Mana Sword to someone maybe once. Otherwise, the characters keep finding it stuck in a random stump somewhere.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 07:59:49 PM »

I played Final Fantasy Adventure very recently and despite some issues, it's probably one of the most impressive games on the Game Boy, especially when you realize how many things it did while predating the Game Boy Zeldas that came after it.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: