Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 09:36:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340865 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  BEST game you bought on a WHIM and LOVED <3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: BEST game you bought on a WHIM and LOVED <3  (Read 606 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 05:56:46 PM »

I think that being the local sacrifice is actually a great way to try new things. For instance, I didn't expect much from Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes because my editor-in-chief only gave me 1/2 page for the review and the cover reminded me of bad manga-wannabe comics, but it turned out to be absolutely awesome. If hadn't gotten that review copy, I might not have played it until much later, like after all the positive reviews came in a the game was on the bottom of the bargain bin.

Bleach: The Blade of Fate was another game that was surprisingly good. Sure, I knew there was a good developer behind it, but even the good ones screw up and it's not like developers generally aim for high marks when making an anime/manga game.

Oh, and The Guided Fate Paradox! That one looked so annoyingly stupid what with the maid angels and other otaku bullshit, but I had so much fun with that one. Some of the stories were surprisingly clever as well.

Anyway, I just remembered something: the game that got me into RPGs in the first place was bought on a whim. My aunt and her family were on vacation and the toystore in the local town had some Super Nintendo games on sale. They ended up buying Mystic Quest and F-zero because those were the cheapest. F-zero was fun, of couse, but Mystic Quest just baffled my cousin and I. She wasn't much of reader yet and both of us had very little experience with the English language in the first place. Sure, we heard some words being spoken on tv, but it's different when you have to read them. Like, what's the difference between 'three' and 'tree'? It took a dictionary, many afternoons and lots of patience but we eventually figured out the menu's and had a basic idea of what the story was about. I loved it and wanted more games like that, my cousin went back to platformers. She still likes those, by the way. Plays them together with her young sons. 
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 06:53:28 PM »

Dark Cloud 2.  I had played the original, but wasn't exactly a gigantic fan of it.  I hopped into Gamestop one day with some extra cash in my pocket, saw it sitting on the shelf, shrugged my shoulders, and walked to the counter with a game that was destined to become one of my favorite games of all time.

Fuck, I wish it were on the PSN store.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 07:44:08 PM »

Oh wait.

Mind just came back to me from reading other peoples' stuff.

Wild Arms - I got this at a Music for a Song (I think) in Gatlinburg when I was like 12. Knew nothing about it, was getting into RPGs though and it LOOKED interesting. And I was on vacation and this was before smart phones, so I couldn't look anything up on it.

It's not like one of my all time favorites, but it's still a game I really enjoy for a lot of reasons.

Final Fantasy Legend 2 - Got it at a Target on the way home from Florida when I was like, 10 or 11. Probably the Target in Lexington, KY. Probably 4th grade, 'cause it was Secret of Evermore and Earthbound that got me into RPGs, and that was 4th grade. Anyway, knew nothing about it, got it strictly on brand recognition, and, uh... it's... one of my favorite games ever although I have no idea why.

Realms of the Haunting - Got this at an HPB in Lexington, KY on the way back from Gatlinburg some November a few years ago. Didn't really know anything about it. Looked cool. THINK we had smartphones by that point so I bummed my mom's for a second to see what HOTUD had to say on it.

Didn't get around to actually playing it for a few years but oh my god what a brilliant game.

Tong Nou - Got this at a now-defunct used CD/game/movie store at an outlet mall in Pidgeon Forge. I was like 17 at the time. This was before SomethingAwful let's play'd it. That was... jarring experience.

And here's a special one.

Captain Comic 2 - Got this from the Fairfield Mall down by Dayton when I was in third grade, and got it home to discover it was missing the copy protection sheet. Couldn't play it till I was in sixth grade, at which point I found a cracked executable, although it turns out that this was, uh, a 'trapped' cracked executable that told you to go buy the game after a certain point.

Eventually found someone with a code sheet to send me ;) CC2's kind of really clunky but, uh, in terms of DOS platformers, it's one I really enjoyed.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: