Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 02:22:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337838 Posts in 13833 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Evolution 2014
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Evolution 2014  (Read 785 times)
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2014, 08:49:35 PM »

So it's that time again, the biggest fighting game tournament of the year is almost upon us. It starts friday and the  main games will be Smash Bro.s Melee, Killer Instinct,  Injustice, Ultra Street Fighter 4, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Blazblue Chrono Phantasma and KOF 13. Gonna have some people over to watch the stream and play some games, hopefully there are some others as excited about this. If anyone wants to do some kinda irc event for this, I'm certainly up for it.

Also, here's the stream schedule courtesy of shoruken.com

If you were looking forward to some Persona 4 Arena action in vain, despair not, because Madcatz is also doing their own stream and they will stream the finals for P4A and Soul Calibur. Hopefully somebody will stream the Divekick side tournament and possibly some Guilty Gear.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 08:55:41 PM »

Wow... Smash really took the scene.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 04:04:08 AM »

Yeah, it's like Nintendo leveled up 10 times in a row and put all the points towards common sense and marketing... Well, good for them and the players. I know people who've played the game competively for 10+ years, this is a big step forward for them.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 02:50:27 PM »

Who's gonna be spamming dongers on Twitch? :p

Yeah, it's like Nintendo leveled up 10 times in a row and put all the points towards common sense and marketing... Well, good for them and the players. I know people who've played the game competively for 10+ years, this is a big step forward for them.

As much as Smash Bros. is a 'party game' and Sakurai never seem to get what exactly made Melee to have a strong competitive scene, Smash being a big thing at EVO was a matter of time.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 03:39:30 PM »

I love how disregarded Brawl is in the fighting game formula (seriously though, improvements aside tripping is fucking stupid, Meta Knight got too much love, and my personal issue, level obstacles just got too numerous and annoying).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 03:59:46 AM »

Hold on a sec, isn't Smash supposed to be a party game with no competitive balance to speak of?

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 04:28:03 AM »

Hold on a sec, isn't Smash supposed to be a party game with no competitive balance to speak of?

That really depends on who you ask...

Turn off items (which just make things feel very random) and Melee is a pretty good fighting game with a large community that has been playing it competitively for years.  Of course there's a reason you don't seen Brawl at these events, because it broke that balance (and also added other stupid random shit like tripping...).

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 09:48:52 PM »

There's always too many Street Fighter nerds talking shit about Tekken in the chat every year, though I like to believe is all in good spirits. Either way the final of Tekken Tag 2 was pretty fun.

Also, I want that 'Devil Asuka' shirt so bad. ;_;
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 12:13:03 AM »

There's a side Persona 4 Arena tournament sponsored by Atlus and MadCatz going on in this channel - http://www.twitch.tv/jyosua - it's not a main-stage tournament, but the action has been pretty good so far.  Lots of Chie players :/

And muh gawd, the Street Fighter IV top 16 has been incredible.  Snake Eyez vs. Xian (Zangief vs. Gen) was probably the best match I've seen all day.  Then Gamerbee vs. Fuudo (Adon vs. Fei Long) was almost as good.  ****in' EVO. 

Persona 4 Arena matches have moved to the official MadCatz stream - http://www.twitch.tv/madcatz - the Japanese Aigis player that won last year didn't show this year, unfortunately, but pretty much all of the American players I remember from last year are still around. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:50:23 AM by Monsoon » Logged

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 12:48:03 AM »

Snake Eyez vs. Xian (Zangief vs. Gen) was probably the best match I've seen all day.

I'm always impressed by Xian's Gen; Clean moves and most of the time he's very precise. Snake Eyes did a very good job and had the luck to steal the win from Xian there.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:53:55 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 10:09:37 AM »

Some pretty crazy upsets have happened for SF4, mainly that the only former evo champion still in top 8 is Fuudo. Also Daigo not making top 8 since he's managed to do that for every evo since SF4 first came out 6 years ago. Time for KOF 13, Marvel and Blazblue today. It seems a 13 year old from japan took 2nd place in Tekken tag 2, thats pretty nuts.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:12:02 PM by kofvscapcom » Logged

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 08:52:02 PM »

Time for KOF 13

Needed hellpockets sorely imo.

There's always too many Street Fighter nerds talking shit about Tekken in the chat every year, though I like to believe is all in good spirits. Either way the final of Tekken Tag 2 was pretty fun.

Also, I want that 'Devil Asuka' shirt so bad. ;_;

Yeah that shirt is great.  I agree about Tekken.  Caught top 8 and was a really fun watch.  Certainly helps to have the Aris+MarkMan as they are very entertaining to listen to. Prob my favorite caster combo.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 12:43:00 AM »

Ahahaha Yipes vs. ChrisG with Yipes' girlfriend on commentary.  This is going to be pretty interesting, heh. 

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 12:32:10 PM »

blazblue top 8 starts now. Dat Strider cosplayer is so anime right now.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:34:52 PM by kofvscapcom » Logged

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 02:38:39 PM »

Holy crap, Blazblue grand finals.  Looked like it was all over for Garireo several times but he crawled his way back.  Greatest comeback of all time?

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: