Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 06:11:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331782 Posts in 13583 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Divinity: Original Sin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Divinity: Original Sin  (Read 2468 times)
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 09:17:22 PM »

I will never ever understand the notion of too much choice/ ability to make bad builds as a negative. Just does not compute.

Edit: I also realize this is an old debate

"I wanna do everything at once by don't have a million hours in the day" sums it up for me at least...

I don't mind building myself into a corner if the combat is fun.  And combat is crazy fun in this game.

Time is a factor only if I consider playing the game a chore, especially these days with time being so limited...
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 09:25:17 PM »

Yup. Not to mention there are companions and henchmen you can hire to fill the gaps in your party.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »

I will never ever understand the notion of too much choice/ ability to make bad builds as a negative. Just does not compute.

Edit: I also realize this is an old debate

"I wanna do everything at once by don't have a million hours in the day" sums it up for me at least...

I don't mind building myself into a corner if the combat is fun.  And combat is crazy fun in this game.

Time is a factor only if I consider playing the game a chore, especially these days with time being so limited...

I guess it's more about the type of person you are. I know I find choices in general very anxiety-provoking. It doesn't help that I hate replaying games, too. With games like this, I find that unless I make a goal from the onset and don't stray from that path the entire time, I find it too easy to get tempted to try to cram everything into one playthrough, because that's the only one I'll ever be making.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:32:52 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 01:55:27 AM »

You just need to sit back and enjoy the game and not worry about choices too much. Just stick with a general character theme and go with it. I know the feeling of too many choices, but you can alleviate it by making a decision beforehand that you're going to play with a specific focus.

I think a lot of us who play games too long focus too much on the game system rather than simply experiencing what the game offers and just having fun. We forget how to go into a good game blindly and let it throw everything at us without trying to pick apart every little mechanic.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 02:10:24 AM »

I think Sagacious brings up an excellent point.  I tend to spend way too much time worrying about gameplay mechanics and min/max tactics.  I'm having a great deal of trouble getting my head around Divinity in that respect.

And I'm not complaining about the game (though they could have turned the difficulty down just a wee bit in the opening areas, much the same way that another awesome series sought to bring in newcomers with a friendly opening).  It's great that the game offers so much flexibility and never tells you exactly what to do.  I just like a bit more direction in my RPGs.  I struggled quite a bit with Dragon Age: Origins because I didn't understand the importance of crowd control on my mages.  I'm seeing the same problems with my current party here, only I really don't know how to counteract it without having to restart with a knight and witch combo. 
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 03:11:31 AM »

What Rob is saying is :

I died a lot so I got annoyed.

ROB JUST PLAY THE GAME, I NEED COOP PARTNER

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 08:58:33 AM »

You just need to sit back and enjoy the game and not worry about choices too much. Just stick with a general character theme and go with it. I know the feeling of too many choices, but you can alleviate it by making a decision beforehand that you're going to play with a specific focus.

That I know. I guess I'd just have to read up on the game and figure out what I'd want to go with. That kinda goes against my love of going into games blind and experience everything the game has to offer firsthand, but I've learned from experience that going around blind can lead to a lot of problems...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 09:15:30 AM »

I am basically sitting at work trying to concentrate and find I'm thinking specifically about this game. That hasn't happened in a good long while. Coming off the back of E3 and a whole bunch of bad game buys the last several months this thing has been like an oasis.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 09:35:08 AM »

I am basically sitting at work trying to concentrate and find I'm thinking specifically about this game. That hasn't happened in a good long while. Coming off the back of E3 and a whole bunch of bad game buys the last several months this thing has been like an oasis.

Larian actually made a divinity game that isn't mediocre? That hasn't happened since... has that actually happened before? I may have to look into this.

NOW PLAYING:
Violette: Charming, clunky, frustrating, rewarding.
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 03:35:11 PM »

Larian actually made a divinity game that isn't mediocre? That hasn't happened since... has that actually happened before? I may have to look into this.

I'm as shocked as you are, for the most part.

Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 04:12:40 PM »

I'm glad to hear the game is good.  When I went to E3 2012, I visited with Larian to get a preview of the game and I liked where they were going with it, but in the back of my mind I kept saying, "this is ambitious.  Can they pull it off?"

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Shinryu80

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 10:41:16 PM »

This game does sound interesting and I think I might pick this up.  I was wondering though about the quality of the game's story and characters.  I'm really curious because most comments/reviews seem to gloss over this portion of the game. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:50:11 PM by Shinryu80 » Logged
mrchoppy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 03:36:26 AM »

I have been keeping my eye on this one, but havent picked it up because of the games backlog.

One thing i was very interested in was the co-op aspect as that seemed like a real innovation in an old school style rpg like this.   Will be interested to hear what you guys think in the next podcast.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 06:18:53 AM »

I have been keeping my eye on this one, but havent picked it up because of the games backlog.

One thing i was very interested in was the co-op aspect as that seemed like a real innovation in an old school style rpg like this.

I'm the exact opposite. I want any multiplayer aspects to stay well away from an RPG unless its specifically built from the ground up as an MMO (Souls games being the notable exception because of the rather unusual implementation). In fact, I don't even like having to rely on other people in MMOs. An RPG is something I like to play my way at my own pace.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:31:55 AM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Violette: Charming, clunky, frustrating, rewarding.
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 01:16:31 PM »

So I just watched a gameplay video and a character creation video on Youtube...

WHY AM I NOT PLAYING THIS RIGHT NOW ?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: