Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 11:21:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338023 Posts in 13840 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Divinity: Original Sin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Divinity: Original Sin  (Read 2889 times)
mrchoppy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2014, 04:04:38 PM »

Just read an article on the game systems on Rock Paper Shotgun...Resistance to purchasing it is weakening :)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2014, 04:33:14 PM »

BTW, is the game final or are they still tweaking a lot of things?
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 05:37:06 PM »

BTW, is the game final or are they still tweaking a lot of things?

It's "finished" but they're still patching a few things here and there like any other game.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2014, 06:31:05 AM »

The price tag is kind of steep in proportion to my level of interest for the title so there's no way I'm picking it up until its on a massive discount.
There is one piece of DLC worth pointing out though:
... and an in-game item "Zandalor's Trunks", magical underwear that comments on whatever is going on.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 01:19:12 AM »

The game is fantastic. Perfect throwback title. It's incredibly challenging too. I'm having to adjust to this old type of gameplay after playing games that have held my hand for the last decade.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2014, 09:52:43 AM »

Got it yesterday, played it coop with my friend for like three hours. Utterly fantastic.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 09:08:11 AM »

So, I checked out some gameplay and I'm starting to get interested.
How does it play in single player mode? Real time combat with AI controlled team or pause with full control over your party?

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 03:15:25 PM »

It's party combat and turn based.

I just finished Cyseal. The area's final boss was pretty tough at first. I had to chug some protection potions just to survive the initiate barrage he launches. I'll be happy to go to the next area and not fight undead for a while, as my archer/caster has so many poison abilities.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:17:38 PM by Sagacious-T » Logged
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2014, 03:26:26 PM »

I felt like a badass playing with my buddy last night. Was fighting the boss at the lighthouse with all his adds. Buddy's melee, so I used the poison and water to make a stun/poison cloud to separate all of them from the boss, then used teleport to drop my partner right next to the boss, where he sliced and diced him unopposed. I adore the level of strategy in using the world to your advantage.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2014, 07:43:55 PM »

It's party combat and turn based.

I just finished Cyseal. The area's final boss was pretty tough at first. I had to chug some protection potions just to survive the initiate barrage he launches. I'll be happy to go to the next area and not fight undead for a while, as my archer/caster has so many poison abilities.

Keep in mind theres a lot of spell combos in this game. For example, poison dart targeted at the ground can create a poison pool. That poison pool can then be set on fire by a fire spell to burn enemies standing in it. Zombies who are bleeding create that poison pool beneath them which heals zombies. But if you set it on fire you have a wonderful way to eliminate zombies since the more the bleed the more the fire spreads.

This game is a wonderful tribute to old school RPGs like Baldurs Gate that had complex systems that didn't hold  your hand. Always be aware of environmental effects you can use to damage your enemy or just make your own such as the aforementioned burning poison pools.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 07:54:20 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2014, 09:29:26 PM »

You know, it's funny. I never liked Baldur's Gate, at least not when I was younger. In fact, I don't think I really liked any old CRPG except for Planescape: Torment. Yet I'm really interested in Divinity: Original Sin, as well as a lot of other Retro RPGs. Not because they're using old ideas, but because of what they're doing with them. I like the idea of a Turn-Based game where you need to utitilize your environment and experiment with your skills. I like the idea of a Turn-Based Post-apocalyptic game like Wastelands 2. I like the idea of dynamic stories in Pillars of Eternity. It's not because they're old ideas, but because of what they're doing to revitalize these old ideas. I can say this about a lot of Retro games, actually. It's not really because of nostalgia that I'm interested in them, but because I think they'll be good games in general.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2014, 11:45:53 PM »

I love this game.  Seriously, if you're on the fence about buying this one, you should just take the plunge and buy it.  This a pretty big game, it's fun, and has some great potential replay value.  Larian deserves your money a hell of a lot more than most of the AAA RPG developers who churn out mediocre games and then milk it with DLC that should have been included with the base game.  D: OS's "Source Hunter" DLC is not at all necessary to buy unless you want a digital copy of the soundtrack; it's just an extra way to support the developer really.  But the game itself is absolutely worth $40.
kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2014, 10:43:30 PM »

I love this game.  Seriously, if you're on the fence about buying this one, you should just take the plunge and buy it.  This a pretty big game, it's fun, and has some great potential replay value.  Larian deserves your money a hell of a lot more than most of the AAA RPG developers who churn out mediocre games and then milk it with DLC that should have been included with the base game.  D: OS's "Source Hunter" DLC is not at all necessary to buy unless you want a digital copy of the soundtrack; it's just an extra way to support the developer really.  But the game itself is absolutely worth $40.

I'm sure it is. And I've love to play it. Seriously, I would. Unfortunately, like many an AA PC game these days, I literally just can't play it, because my computer doesn't have the horsepower. And I'm sure there's a good number of people in my situation. I'd really like to see more games built with all sorts of PC's and specs in mind, rather than expecting their customers to have shilled out anywhere from $300-$500 dollars for a PC that can play the game. Oh well...
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2014, 11:26:41 PM »

I'm sure it is. And I've love to play it. Seriously, I would. Unfortunately, like many an AA PC game these days, I literally just can't play it, because my computer doesn't have the horsepower. And I'm sure there's a good number of people in my situation. I'd really like to see more games built with all sorts of PC's and specs in mind, rather than expecting their customers to have shilled out anywhere from $300-$500 dollars for a PC that can play the game. Oh well...

Are you sure you've looked at the minimum required specs (rather than the higher "recommended" specs)?   Paraphrasing from the GOG page: The minimum system requirements are: Dual Core CPU, 2 GB RAM, and a HD Intel Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT (512 MB) or ATI Radeo HD 4850.   Those are pretty modest requirements by today's standards, which part doesn't your PC meet?    If it's the GPU, you could most likely pick up decent mid- level graphics card for under $100.  Now I realize you don't want to invest a hundred bucks to play one game, but then I imagine there are others you'd like to play that this would allow you.   Unless your PC is like a decade old I assume meet the RAM / CPU requirements...  But RAM is fairly cheap and I don't know why anyone would suffer with less than 3 GBs these days anyway. 
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2014, 10:09:06 AM »

He might have a laptop. That would make a huge difference.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: