Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:42:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334683 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Divinity: Original Sin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Divinity: Original Sin  (Read 2681 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2014, 10:39:11 AM »

Okay, so last night my buddy and I were fighting a bunch of fire monsters in a burning field. We bottlenecked the big boss using fire elementals (that they couldn't damage) while he stealthed behind them to kill the magic totem that was reviving them all.

I made it rain (heheheheh) on the battlefield to weaken them, and then froze the ground at my feet. Since I needed to use ice magic and I have the perk to make it easier to cast magic of the same element you're currently standing on, standing on my own ice patch while hasted had me throwing around ice spells three times a turn.

The strategy and terrain awareness in this game are un-freaking-believably good. Pillars of Eternity suddenly has a lot to live up to.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2014, 03:21:06 AM »

So i finally had some time to sit down and play this a couple weeks after buying it. Re-rolled my party twice because the portraits didn't match my character models, but that's besides the point. Ended up trundling my way to level 4, cleared the light house after cheesing it a bit by running away and resurrecting my party and then zerg rushing.The sneak animation or whatever you want to call it is great. It's Metal Gear-esque and I like how the game doesn't seem to take itself too seriously.

So far this reminds me so much of the whole experience of playing BGI/II for the first time all over again. So good.  Not really sure what to do next, but I'm sure I'll stumble across something.

edit: Actually, a lot of it reminds of me of playing Ultima 7 for the first time. I really do feel like I can do anything. I remember in Ultima 7 when I realized I could rob the mint and get away with it...That was a game changer.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 03:35:18 AM by ultra7k » Logged
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2014, 06:09:49 AM »

Beat the game. I give it a solid 8/10. Good game but has some serious design and balance issues.
Zyco
Hope I'm not the old guy!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2014, 07:55:54 AM »

I love this game so much! My pacing with it is a snails pace too.. so much to do over every area you are in. This is by far the best RPG to come out in years.  Game of the Year easily so far.. RPG of the year hands down.  I cant recommend Divinity Original Sin enough.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2014, 10:56:36 AM »

Yeah, it's in my running for GOTY, too. I only play co-op with my friend every couple of days for a few hours, so I think it'll last for months.

dagas

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2014, 04:07:44 AM »

I am looking for advice about buying this. The reviews are great but I don't know if it is for me.

Games I like
Dragon Age: Origins, Knights of the Old Republic, Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines, Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim

Games I tried but never managed to get into
Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Fallout 1&2, Elder Scrolls Morrowind

I am afraid it is too old school for me. I've heard people say it is challanging. I try to play games like BG and IWD and I die in the first few fights. Even in Dragon Age Origins I never get passed the Origin story before I have to turn it down to easy to play the game. I grew up with Final Fantasy VII rather than Ultima VII so complex CRPG's are hard for me.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 04:09:15 AM by dagas » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2014, 04:17:49 AM »

I haven't played it, so I admit I'm not the best person to comment, but it seems like it's not really your style.  It's top-down, so more like the games you couldn't get into.
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2014, 12:15:38 AM »

I am looking for advice about buying this. The reviews are great but I don't know if it is for me.

Games I like
Dragon Age: Origins, Knights of the Old Republic, Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines, Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim

Games I tried but never managed to get into
Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Fallout 1&2, Elder Scrolls Morrowind

I am afraid it is too old school for me. I've heard people say it is challanging. I try to play games like BG and IWD and I die in the first few fights. Even in Dragon Age Origins I never get passed the Origin story before I have to turn it down to easy to play the game. I grew up with Final Fantasy VII rather than Ultima VII so complex CRPG's are hard for me.

If difficulty is the main thing holding you back, then I say don't worry about it.  The game has three difficulty settings.  I've been playing it on hard and while it was initially pretty challenging at times, I am now about level 13 and currently finding it a bit too easy.... If you take two mages in your party your party will kick some serious ass; with two magic-users you can basically have two summoned elementals at all times... then the enemies will be so focused on trying to take out your summoned creatures that your actual party members should be OK.     The game does have some balance issues (there's too much loot). 

The way in which it's old school is that there aren't things like quest markers (you can make your own notes on the map).  So you have to pay attention to what NPCs say in order to figure out where to go for quests, but the game is basically open world so you could essentially just explore the world and accidentally solve the quests that way.  Enemies don't scale so if you find enemies in one area are too difficult all you have to do is go somewhere else and come back when you're stronger. 
Zyco

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2014, 12:55:18 PM »

About a week in and I have 2 games going and they are both in the same spot which is just at the end of the first area (level 9 and 10) and about to start on the second, in my multiplayer game we are playing on hard and having a great time with it.  I am very happy that create your own charcater games and isometric real RPG style games are coming back.. really forgot how much fun they can be and how enveloping they are.

I honestly think the best part of this game is how its turn based, you can really set things up well and every fight, even the same reloaded fight will be different.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2014, 01:11:08 PM »

Yeah, and there are a lot of viable strategies that take into account some risk. My buddy and I have also found hard mode to be the way to go. You start out weak, but you very quickly become powerful, so hard mode helps the game really demand that you make use of all that power.

We got into a fight with a bunch of drunk goblins and poison flowers, and it was a symphony of explosions. Turned out, letting the drunk goblins burn themselves to death running on fire was the way to go. Quite amusing.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2014, 01:27:27 PM »

I put my game on ice for now waiting to see the 2 upcoming companions.

I'd rather use companions than henchmen and I don't like the 2 available right now.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2014, 06:43:15 AM »

I'd rather use companions than henchmen and I don't like the 2 available right now.

I'm waiting too, I haven't been past the starting area yet. 4 NPCs to choose from should mean that my choices in character creation aren't duplicated too much.
Zyco

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2014, 07:58:45 AM »

Yeah, and there are a lot of viable strategies that take into account some risk. My buddy and I have also found hard mode to be the way to go. You start out weak, but you very quickly become powerful, so hard mode helps the game really demand that you make use of all that power.

We got into a fight with a bunch of drunk goblins and poison flowers, and it was a symphony of explosions. Turned out, letting the drunk goblins burn themselves to death running on fire was the way to go. Quite amusing.

Funny.. we did the drunk goblins lastnight! My friend is an Air/Hydro mage and I am Geo/Pyro, he hates when I spread my fire all over the ground because it limits his vision. I killed him 4x in that fight because he insisted on moving up..haha

The sleeping goblins a bit further in the camp was a real hard fight for us too.. I think all of last night which was a few hours we only got into 5-6 fights but most of them were epic.
Zyco

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2014, 08:00:29 AM »

You do know you can enlist whatever you want and whichever level you want in the Homestead, sure you dont create them but we traded out Jahan for a Ranger.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2014, 10:57:51 AM »

You do know you can enlist whatever you want and whichever level you want in the Homestead, sure you dont create them but we traded out Jahan for a Ranger.

Meh, I'd just rather use a character than a blank state.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: