Author Topic: Trails in the Sky FC PC release July 29th

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
Trails in the Sky FC PC release July 29th
« on: July 22, 2014, 03:38:40 PM »
Both Steam and GOG, $19.99

Trailer

Looks like they have backported the enhancements in the PSP version to the PC release so that's pretty cool.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Trails in the Sky FC PC release July 29th
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:43:55 PM »
Sweet TitS! That's but a week from now.

We might yet see SC released within the year.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 03:49:21 PM »
Ok... someone explain to me again how this game serie works...

This is the thing I need to buy that will be simple? Is it the first game of its own serie?

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 03:58:14 PM »
There were other Legend of Heroes games but they're unrelated.  This is the first game in the Kiseki (Trails) series which is up to like 7 games in Japan now.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 04:15:59 PM »
Great.
Will buy.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 05:16:15 PM »
The short answer is to start with this game.

The long answer is that the first Legend of Heroes game was the sixth mainline Dragon Slayer game (not counting sequels and spin offs of the previous mainline titles). LoH then proceeded to follow tradition and got a sequel with LoH 2 and a stand alone trilogy with LoHs 3-5 (Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch, A Tear of Vermilion and Song of the Ocean respectfully) forming what is otherwise known as the Gagharv Trilogy. Then in 2004 LoH 6 Trails in the Sky came out for the PC in Japan and in three parts. The first part (LoH6:TitS FC) is the game this thread is posting about (its only available on the PSP in the west, and this thread is about an updated version of the original PC release getting released on Steam), and the second part (LoH6:TitS SC) wraps up the story started in the first part and is what everyone who is familiar with this series is waiting for (it didn't come out for the PSP in the west due to the fact that the PSP was very much a dead system outside of Japan, hence the big effort to get both parts out on Steam now). The third and final part (LoH6:TitS The3rd) mostly reopens the setting to follow a bunch of side characters and leaves enough plot threads and setting details hanging for following up on with later games. It's from there that Trails in the Sky spun off into its own series with Trails in the Zero and Trails in the Blue (still referred to Legend of Heroes but no longer numbered as such) forming a duology, and currently Trails in the Flash which is getting its sequel, Trails in the Flash 2, in about two months in Japan. There's also Nayuta in the Sky which is largely its own separate thing, and Ys vs. Trails in the Sky: Alternative Saga which is a crossover/mashup of Ys and Trails in the characters in a fighting game (built using Ys Seven's engine) just to make things even more confusing (and because Ys and Trails in the Whatever have become Falcom's two biggest series thus far).

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 05:27:50 PM »
Just got the email from XSeed about it. Didn't expect it this soon and will definitely buy. It's been about three years since I played the PSP version, so replaying it on PC should be a fun romp.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 06:00:47 PM »
Trails in the Flash

Can we stop using that awful, nonsensical "translation" already?

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 09:05:48 PM »
HAPPEN.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

kkhohoho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 10:38:38 PM »
*Sees announcement of Trails FC getting a PC release next week.*

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

Seriously though, I was wondering when this was going to finally come out, if at all. But here we are. :D (And hopefully, we'll get SC by the end of the year. Hopefully...)

Reta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 12:39:44 AM »
Trails in the Flash

And "Trails in the Zero" and "Trails in the Blue" (should be Azure) and "Nayuta in the Sky" (which is just ludicrous, though I have never seen anyone else use it.) ("Kiseki" means "trails" not "sky"!) (And "no" is closer to "of" than "in the"!)

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 01:08:43 AM »
Trails in the Flash

And "Trails in the Zero" and "Trails in the Blue" (should be Azure) and "Nayuta in the Sky" (which is just ludicrous, though I have never seen anyone else use it.) ("Kiseki" means "trails" not "sky"!) (And "no" is closer to "of" than "in the"!)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/995652-eiyuu-densetsu-zero-no-kiseki
http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/625212-eiyuu-densetsu-ao-no-kiseki
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/694913-eiyuu-densetsu-sen-no-kiseki

Well what the hell are we supposed to call these?

I'm pretty sure 'no' translates into 'the'>>>'of'>'in the'. I mean, if we really want to get technical, it should be Hero Legend: ____ the Trails.

(My bad on the Nayuta thing though. That really should be Trails in the Nayuta, rather than Nayuta in the Sky, and I think I was running off of another Siliconera mistranslation when I wrote that instead of paying attention to the actual name.)

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 01:58:31 AM »
I'm pretty sure 'no' translates into 'the'>>>'of'>'in the'.

First of all, it really doesn't.  の (no) is used anytime in Japanese to show the relationship between nouns or noun phrases where the first element modifies the second.  For instance, 日本語の辞書 (nihongo no jisho) means "Japanese dictionary".  "Nihongo" means Japanese and "jisho" means dictionary, but in this case the "no" doesn't really translate to anything in English.  It can also be used to indicate possession the way we use 's in English but that's not relevant here.

So 空の軌跡 (sora no kiseki) could just as easily been translated to "Sky Trails".  In fact I would argue that would actually have been a more standard, straightforward translation.  Xseed went with "Trails in the Sky" because it sounds nice.  And it does sound nice.  It's got a nice ring to it.  But "in the" is not a standard translation of の.  In fact it really only works in particular cases...like, Japanese doesn't even have articles so the choice of "the" instead of "a" is completely based on context.  There's only one sky so "the" works in that case, but what about "Trails in the Flash"?  What flash?  What does that even mean.  Why go with "in the" at all when it doesn't have that ring to it?

For better or worse, "Trails of Zero" and "Trails of Blue" seem to have caught on for Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki.  In fact Udon even adopted those names for their English translations of some art books.  I would still argue that they're pretty nonsensical names, though.  I mean, "of zero" or "of blue" don't even sound grammatically correct.  I'm really curious that if 20 years from now when Xseed finally gets around to doing those games if they're actually going to use those names.

But things get even more complicated when you get to 閃の軌跡 (Sen no Kiseki).  In addition to the somewhat ambiguous grammar, technically 閃 (sen) isn't even a word.  It's a character that appears in certain compounds with the pronunciation "sen", but it doesn't ever appear alone.  It also has a verb form but it's actually pronounced "hirameku" there.  Though kanji characters generally have meanings associated with them they're more ambiguous than dictionary words.  閃 can mean flash, but it can also mean brandish or even insight (as in a flash of insight I guess) in certain contexts.  There are a lot of different ways that title could probably be translated.  Not only does "Trails in the Flash" lack any of that nuance, it sounds fucking ridiculous.

But anyway, what's wrong with just calling it Sen no Kiseki?  It has not been translated yet and until there's an official English title I'm just going to stick with the Japanese.  But I will bet good money that if it ever does get translated, "Trails in the Flash" is not the name they're going to go with...

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 09:21:15 AM »
With all these primer notes on Japanese, I might as well just start importing and playing the other games in the series right now....

Anyways, baka gaijin-ness aside, it's:

Eiyuu Densetsu 6: Sora no Kiseki FC
Eiyuu Densetsu 6: Sora no Kiseki SC
Eiyuu Densetsu 6: Sora no Kiseki the Third
Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki
Eiyuu Densetsu: Ao no Kiseki
Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen no Kiseki
Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen no Kiseki 2
Eiyuu Densetsu: Akatsuki no Kiseki
Nayuta no Kiseki
Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga
And that Falcom Academy anime

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 10:30:02 AM »
Am I the only one confused as to how "Trails of Blue" is incorrect grammar? I mean, I get how "Trails of Zero" doesn't work ("Zero's Trail," maybe?), but Trails of Blue sounds perfectly fine to me. Maybe "The Blue Trail" would be even more correct, but Trails of Blue conveys the exact same idea, while sounding slightly more poetic, which makes it work better as a title.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes