Author Topic: Bravely Second

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
Re: Bravely Second
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2016, 09:54:30 AM »
Game's been out for almost 2 weeks in the US and no one has said anything...I'm kinda sad...

Once I'm finished with Fire Emblem Fates, I'll be getting to Bravely Second.

Gonna take a while though...

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2016, 05:33:31 PM »
You guys have been making me feel bad for deciding to not bother with BS.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2016, 05:44:26 PM »
Do you ever get to a point where you can unlock the classes you chose to forego in those barter scenarios? That really bugs me.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2016, 05:45:01 PM »
Do you ever get to a point where you can unlock the classes you chose to forego in those barter scenarios? That really bugs me.

Yes.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2016, 05:53:14 PM »
I've been half tempted to try BS, but BD left such a bad taste in my mouth I'm really not sure they could've done all that much to 'fix' it.

Literally the only thing that I loved about it was the music. The characters were pretty cliche, developed at the speed of maple syrup flowing in winter (these two a universal Japanese media problem; not unique to BS to be fair), I utterly abhor meta-fiction that takes the blunt-force approach (there's only been one piece of meta-fiction ever created that I think was done right; and that was Umineko), the class system felt janky with little room for niche synergies, a pointless social media system used to gate access to certain items/spells/abilities, and really I just fell asleep in the middle of the game. So much so to where I just dropped it, read up on what was left, and didn't feel like I missed much (to it's credit, the other thing BD does right is a fairly decent character-twist; I'll be the first to admit I didn't see that as a potential).

Hearing that BS 'ups' the meta-elements is a major turn off. But does it do anything else to alleviate the other problems BD had? If so I might put it on a 'potentially later' list. I can only replay FF V, Tactics, and Wild Arms XF so many times before I need a new class-system fix. X-x

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2016, 05:59:15 PM »
I am not even past Chapter 1 yet so I can't tell you how different it is from Bravely Default. Personally I didn't think I had any interest left for this series after the first game and the stupidity it pulled halfway through (and also some things during the whole thing) but honestly, I'm liking this and its refreshing in small ways. When I say meta-ness, I mean it just doesn't apologize for knowing it's a game. It focuses on giving a good gameplay experience, and better written character interactions.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2016, 06:03:35 PM »
Ahh, gotcha gotcha. When I think of meta-fiction I think of that whole Integrated Reality stuff BD tried to pull at the very beginning. Is waaaay too hokey for me to take seriously. XD Is good to hear they're upping their game on those two fronts though. Even though I disliked BD I could still tell love went into it. Seeing that carry over is always a good sign.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2016, 12:24:09 PM »
As of chapter 3, it's alot of the same story and scenary wise, and gameplay is still very much the same. The new quirks like the victory streak and the new classes as well as the sidequest choices for new asterisks are kind of cool, but only fluff. The chomper-making mini game is pretty mind numbing, but addictive...overall it's more of the same with less of the chapters 5-8 being do it all again,which generally is the reason so many people grew to dislike default. If you enjoyed the first 6 chapters of BD, you'll probably like BS...but I'm only midway through chapter 3 myself.

TASTY!

Aurian

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2016, 01:12:37 PM »
Hey folks, finally playing this one (was distracted by all three Fire Emblem paths, ha ha). I have some people as friends from the first game but since I started so late I am not getting many passes so would like to try get more friends

Anyone currently playing?

Anyone with some stupidly powerful special effects to share?

Friend code is 1005-8832-7182

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2016, 02:29:16 AM »
I feel like I should of just gotten this game at some point but somehow didn't and am like... seemed really fun.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2016, 09:32:53 AM »
Oh this one is on my list, I just have to play the first one.. uh.. first.  I mean, it's an RPG with job classes so, I can't NOT play it, right?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2016, 10:47:31 AM »
Yeah, I gotta finish the first one, too. I will eventually, it's just that I left off at a very difficult point. But honestly, I'll probably need to grind a lot now just to remember how to play. :P Brave Default was quite easily one of my favorite Turn-based RPGs, up there with Chrono Trigger in my eyes. Except unlike Chrono Trigger, BD seemed to fully utilize its combat system, so I never really got bored, per se, I just got to the point where I felt I needed a break because I had been playing too much at one time. I seem to burn out on games easily...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2016, 07:23:02 PM »
The first game is fun, but it begins to get repetitive later on. It has a decent story and everything, and great battles and jobs. The repetitiveness begins to get grating. They try to keep things interesting given the fact that you're going to fight all the bosses over and over again, but those battles just turn into cheap battles that require you to have specific parties set up and to use specific strategies. If you like grinding, and don't mind fighting the bosses over and over again, give it a shot. I believe the consensus has been that Bravely Second fixed the issues with the original, so that's good, but I haven't gotten to it myself yet.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 21, 2016, 04:55:18 PM »
I thought Edea was pretty cool here, came across randomly

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.