Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 04:54:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338756 Posts in 13865 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  No Castlevania for the Wii.....well....the remote at least.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: No Castlevania for the Wii.....well....the remote at least.  (Read 2150 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 01:59:59 AM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
The point is that all devices not accepted as standards at the time of launch are considered "gimmicks". The mouse was just that when Xerox PARC showed it off, and look what it became. No one thought the GUI would take off either. It too was a gimmick because you had a whole generation addicted to arcane command-line input, which has since become a niche market for programmers only.

All such implements are disruptive to the market initially and then copied ad nauseam until they're the standard. Calling the Wiimote a "gimmick" can be neatly shoe-boxed in next to Xerox's idea that the mouse was little more than a silly notion. It's the sort of mentality we should have grown out of by now as avid users of technology, but haven't because of the fundamental human fear of change.

i see what your saying but unlike d-pads and analog sticks it isnt easy to incorporate the wii mote into existing game conventions. since this is rpgfan i'll use rpg's. i can only think of 2 rpg's that could of made nice usage of the wii mote. shadows hearts because of the judgement ring and monster hunter because monster hunter uses the right analog stick for attacking and also has a vibration based fishing system.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Nutbar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 11:13:28 AM »

Gimmick, a definition

I think its hard to argue that the wiimote is not, and will not, be used as a gimmick. That doesn't mean it suddenly ceases to be an important introduction to home gaming. My concern is that the predominate presence of the system's 'gimmick' will detract from third parties introducing more standard games. As Eusis has said about Twilight Princess and the sword swinging function; there is no neccessity for it to be included what so ever, as it does nothing to improve, and in some ways detracts, from the functionality of pressing a button to make Link swing his sword.

Although I don't argue that they may have initially appeared as gimmicks, the introduction of the mouse and GUI have their places because for many users they make it possible for them to use a computer for their needs. The hand held controller, what I assume is being referred to as a d-pad, is justified in its introduction purely from a prespective of gamer health.
The use of the Wiimote can arguably be discussed in the same vein; "Childhood obesity on the rise? Combat it with Wii!" The concept and very principle of this angle may seem ridiculous to some, but i'm sure others will see it as justifcation to buy a Wii over other consoles. However, the Wiimote at present seem to lack the vital component or reason for being that the d-pad, mouse and GUI all have and had going for them; increased efficiency.  

As far as i'm concerned, the Wiimote's functions are at this point in time nothing more than a gimmick. There is a chance however, that it may become much more than that; motion sensing gaming could have an integral place in future console generations and gaming as a whole. But personally, I don't see that place justifying such features being built into the controller, and every game that uses it, just yet.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 05:33:42 PM »

I think the games will have a more innovative control scheme as time passes, and developers get used to the remote. Not to mention, that Nintendo also offers an artificial intelligence tool kit, LiveMove, which allows developers to "teach" the Wii. In other words, making game development easier to program for.

Edit: To make this post relevant to the topic, I'm not that disappointed. 3D Castlevanias never took off. While some were decent, for the most part, the 2D versions overshadowed them, which to me is sorta funny. I have yet to play Curse of Darkness, but I own it, and plan to someday. :P
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 08:52:44 PM »

Well, if I recall correctly, A lot of people thought the dual screens would be a gimmick as well.  Perhaps it is, but developers have integrated it nicely even if they make a game that doesn't really need two screens.

I'm not too concerned.  I think it'll be harder than the dual screen (to overcome the gimmick), but that's what the Gamecube/SNES shell is for, right?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 04:18:05 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
Quote from: "Hidoshi"
The point is that all devices not accepted as standards at the time of launch are considered "gimmicks". The mouse was just that when Xerox PARC showed it off, and look what it became. No one thought the GUI would take off either. It too was a gimmick because you had a whole generation addicted to arcane command-line input, which has since become a niche market for programmers only.

All such implements are disruptive to the market initially and then copied ad nauseam until they're the standard. Calling the Wiimote a "gimmick" can be neatly shoe-boxed in next to Xerox's idea that the mouse was little more than a silly notion. It's the sort of mentality we should have grown out of by now as avid users of technology, but haven't because of the fundamental human fear of change.

i see what your saying but unlike d-pads and analog sticks it isnt easy to incorporate the wii mote into existing game conventions. since this is rpgfan i'll use rpg's. i can only think of 2 rpg's that could of made nice usage of the wii mote. shadows hearts because of the judgement ring and monster hunter because monster hunter uses the right analog stick for attacking and also has a vibration based fishing system.

The GUI didn't have any software for it save what Apple put up when it was introduced on the Mac, so any argument about existing methods v. adaptation is pretty unnecessary. It just means the standard RPG will need to reinvent itself, which I see as a good thing.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: