Author Topic: Are computer games loud?  (Read 7568 times)

Annubis

Are computer games loud?
« on: July 29, 2014, 07:40:07 PM »
I've notice since a good while ago that whenever I start a new game, I have to lower the volume to at least half of the initial setting for it to be equal to everything else on my computer.

Almost everything else on my computer is set to play at max volume (music, video) and I even have to raise my speakers usually when I watch a DVD because DVD are generally really quiet.

Is it my settings that are weird or are games loud at default settings ?

DPB

Re: Are computer games loud?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:11:56 AM »
Sounds normal to me, there's no standard volume level for games. I had to turn the volume down to about of half what I normally use for La-Mulana, whereas Skyrim is quieter than anything else, and I have to turn the speakers up to a level which would be incredibly loud for any other game. That's just a couple of examples, it varies frome one game to another.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 12:00:51 PM »
Your soundcard works perfectly!

timmyFd

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 07:03:18 PM »
I might be wrong but my general experience is that there is very little standardisation with volume in games. On the Wii U, there seems to be a huge range of max volumes as well as default volumes. For some reason, in Mass Effect 3 the loudest volume settings still leave me struggling to hear.