Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 06:53:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332825 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs that All Children Should Play
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: RPGs that All Children Should Play  (Read 1808 times)
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 11:24:47 AM »

Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Lunar, Seiken Densetsu III (which I've always preferred to SoM), Super Mario RPG, and Skies of Arcadia.  Maaaybe Dragon Quest VIII Colorful JRPGs that are easy to understand and don't have mature themes.  Unless Lunar is more inappropriate than I remember.

raisel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 01:25:59 PM »

I'd like to suggest Popolocrois for the PSP too.

Ma ki ga exec aulla ganna dand oz ee ciel. mAtyAy aje lyuma/.
N waw W an-pu kiu-wa-fen-ne miriu-du ahih=yeta-a;
QuelI-> { EXwI[cez]->{ic-p ciel}->{ic-b ciol};}->ExeC->{DW};
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »

Dragon Warrior on the NES. Every kid's gotta get hazed at some point.

I'm only half-kidding. I can't overstate how much more I enjoyed RPGs after I got through Dragon Warrior than before.

But to be 100% serious...I think most of the good ones are taken. Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts, Shining Force, Paper Mario, Lunar, and pretty much all the other serious suggestions are definitely good ideas. The PSP version of Final Fantasy 1 and maybe 4 might be good ones as well.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Refresh

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 11:34:07 PM »

Guardian's Crusade? Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure?

Well those are the easiest ones.
kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 12:20:00 AM »

Not sure if this one's already been mentioned or not, but Grandia, or at least the first one. It was practically designed to be a Saturday morning cartoon, albeit one that doesn't insult your kid's intelligence like some are wont to do. (Or at least the older ones, anyway.) The battle system also gives the kiddies the illusion of action and actually doing things, though it's still turn-based at heart. And the best part is that it's a game they'll still be able to enjoy on it's own merits decades later. (That, and the Working Designs translation. ) And it'll keep 'em busy for days to come. (Since it's, y'know, 60-80+ hours long and all...)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 12:55:00 AM »

Maybe instead of playing RPGs your kids could be basketballs.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Vaporeon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 02:35:54 AM »

Maybe instead of playing RPGs your kids could be basketballs.

That sounds painful.
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 01:23:01 PM »

My inner 12 year-old is all about Lunar, Grandia, and Chrono Trigger.  After all, they're the kinds of games we enjoyed back when we were 12.  But if you think about it, 12 year-olds today were born in 2002.  Final Fantasy VII, a pinnacle game to many of us, is 5 years older than they are. 

I figure, 12 year-olds nowadays are either playing PS360 console games with bombastic graphics or they're playing quickie app-style games on their cell phones.  Like someone said, the Pokemon games seem to transcend all of that, and 12 year-olds playing X and Y have the same wonderment a 12 year-old in 1998 did playing Red or Blue. 

I think a cool and overlooked 3DS game is Inazuma Eleven (which saw a US release earlier this year.)  It's fun to play and looks and feels like an anime you'd see on TV.   

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 07:44:55 PM »

I figure, 12 year-olds nowadays are either playing PS360 console games with bombastic graphics or they're playing quickie app-style games on their cell phones.

For a rare serious answer...

From what I've seen, Minecraft is, by far, the most popular videogame amongst the 12-year old set. Hell I've even overheard grandparents talking about what their grandkids are doing in Minecraft. It's that ubiquitous.

And this is KIND OF why I don't think old school RPGs would appeal to 12 year-olds these days. Minecraft is popular because it lets you make things, empowers you to create, allows for choices, problem solving, and self-directed play.

Oldschool RPGs, by comparison, don't really let you do anything.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 08:25:24 PM »

And in looking at tablet and phone platforms (which is where a lot of young'uns do their gaming nowadays; I work at a high school and those kids play derpy games on their cell phones every moment they get), I wonder about player stats for some of the old school RPGs on it.  Like the 16-bit FFs or something.  Like, are the majority of those players people like us who are old-head nostalgics or are they old-head nostalgics trying to get their kids into it?  And how many of us, when we were 12, shoved off our parents when they tried to show us what was fun back when THEY were 12 and we were all like, "that's lame, mom/dad!"  Sometimes I think the only things that are universally fun for kids of any generation are things like skateboards or bicycles.  Hell, the most fun I have as an adult is on a bicycle. 

And considering that technology culture nowadays is pretty much making everyone "ADD" then the challenge is in having the patience to sit down and actually invest focused time in a game or something.  I know even the most ADD-addled are capable of focus, since time flies when kids are reading Hunger Games, Divergent, or Maze Runner.  So I'm trying to think of games that can be played in short doses, but are interesting enough that you want to come back for more, like a good TV serial does. 

You know, along with Inazuma Eleven, Squids Odyssey might be worth a shot.  It looks cutesy (perhaps too cutesy) but if 12 year-olds are persistent enough for Flappy Bird, they can handle Squids. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Futomimi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 04:11:30 AM »

What about Ni no Kuni? If I'm remembering correctly, the only thing that isn't exactly kid friendly is

Code:
when he figures out he can't save his mother and what made the White Witch the White Witch.

That is a little sad. I guess it would depend on how mature your child is.
TacoBell_Lord

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 12:51:56 AM »

Breath of Fire series & the original Phantasy Star.

Also all of the SNES RPGs are great, because the SNES is such a good starter machine for children. These games had simple controls & deep stories, kids could learn a lot.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 04:21:02 AM »

I figure, 12 year-olds nowadays are either playing PS360 console games with bombastic graphics or they're playing quickie app-style games on their cell phones.

I don't know. They seem to have the patience for all sorts of free to play simulation games and MMORPGs. They have limited cash and more spare time than they know what to do with, so just like us 15+ years ago, they're looking for games that can keep them entertained for a long time for as little money as possible. Graphics don't matter much. They'll grab whatever looks appealing and/or their friends are playing. Not every kid will like some 20 year old JRPG, but I'm sure they are still plenty who dare to sink their teeth into a title like Chrono Trigger. And why wouldn't they? It's still a good game.

And hey, it's not like us grown-ups have no influence at all. I'd never push them towards whatever I liked as kid, but it's great when you can point them towards an older game that's relevant to their interests. For instance, my youngest cousin loves New Super Mario Bros. Loves, loves, loves it. So I got her one of those Nintendo Point Cards and downloaded Super Mario World for her on her Wii. I explained that the game she loves was based on a game that was popular when I was her age. She thought that was fascinating. She used the leftover points to get another old title: Kirby's Adventure for the NES. She'll turn 10 this year and has developed a bit of an interest in older games. Of course she adores Minecraft, but she also has this Game Boy Micro she does't want to let go. I'm pretty sure she'll become a gamer and will start seeking out and playing through bits of game history on her own.

I think that's the trick, really: pointing them towards those older titles when they show interest. Of course those kids will be a minority, but it's not like every kid grows up to be a film buff, literature lover, fan of classic rock, and more. They'll find one of two things they're interested in.

Hm. Now I wonder if videogames are an important enough part of our culture to actually educate children about it. And if so, what titles should be part of that exclusive education worthy list?

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2014, 04:55:25 AM »

The first Grandia.

Ni No Kuni is a good idea as well.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2014, 01:43:04 PM »

From my experience, Kids are much more persistant than adults. Persistance =/= patience, though. I think a game for kids should be quick to get into, or at least start off with a bang, like how FF7 starts off with a rather neat dugeon, giving you only a short intro as to who you are and why you're doing it, culminating in a rather gimmicky boss fight and a Super Metroid-like Speed-Backtrack-so-you-don't-blow-up kinda thing. Whereas Final Fantasy 6 spent, like, a half-hour at least before you could actually do anything.

Or like how my first real RPG was the original Final Fantasy that I found on a website. It literally dropped you into the game with barely any info whatsoever, and I knew jack squat as to how to play. Hell, I didn't even know the basics of equipment management, and the NES version didn't tell you much in the shops, IIRC. It was all supposed to be in a manual I didn't have. But I learned. After 3 hours of dying against freakin' Goblins, I learned. I experiemented, I explored, I extrapolated, and I eventually started talking to the townsfolk, which turned out to be much more helpful than I expected...but eventually I beat the first boss and felt like a freakin' champion. I've seen this quite a bit with kids. So long as it isn't boring, they'll keep at things, just because. It's like how some kids could beat Mega Man back in the day. They weren't gonna let the game beat them. If there's a problem, more than likely they'll find some way to solve it, even if it involves searching or asking for a little help.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 01:45:00 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: