Author Topic: FPS for newbie and Borderlands question

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
FPS for newbie and Borderlands question
« on: August 02, 2014, 07:22:05 PM »
So I've recently discovered that other games exist aside from RPGs. Though not nearly as enjoyable or rewarding (for me), they are fun for me to try out.

Now, I haven't played a FPS since the days of 32x-DOOM and Goldeneye 64 but the visual styling of Borderlands has me intrigued.

The million dollar questions are as follows:

A. Should I play the first or hop in on the second? Heard the sequel is better and I'm really just looking for a pick up and play experience here.

B. Is borderlands even suitable for a newbie who wants a pick up play experience such as myself?

C. I HATE military settings and I know there are a ton of military based FPS games. I clearly want to avoid these types, but does anyone have any suggestions of other FPS games that may be a better fit for me than borderlands?

NOTE: I like character creation. I like character creation ALOT.

Thanks (ahead) for the suggestions folks!
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
Re: FPS for newbie and Borderlands question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 07:41:35 PM »
C. I HATE military settings and I know there are a ton of military based FPS games. I clearly want to avoid these types, but does anyone have any suggestions of other FPS games that may be a better fit for me than borderlands?

I haven't actually played Borderlands so I won't comment on that (though from my understanding it's pretty much just a loot/grinding game like Diablo in FPS form), but if you're interested in something more narrative driven then try the original Bioshock.

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 08:16:15 PM »
I've actually been thinking about trying Borderlands as well Klyde so you are killing 2 birds here since I had some of these same questions.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 09:12:13 PM »

I haven't actually played Borderlands so I won't comment on that (though from my understanding it's pretty much just a loot/grinding game like Diablo in FPS form), but if you're interested in something more narrative driven then try the original Bioshock.

No, I am looking for LESS narrative. I just want something to pick up and play to accompany/compliment my JRPGs really. I was simply stating that I really can't stand army stuff. In other words, no Call of Duty for Klyde!!

I've actually been thinking about trying Borderlands as well Klyde so you are killing 2 birds here since I had some of these same questions.

Great minds as they say Blace! :)

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 09:52:05 PM »
What about Brutal Doom? Is that cool for you?

BRUTAL DOOM -- TotalBiscuit, The Cynical Brit, YouTube

BRUTAL DOOM v20 Gameplay -- SGtMarkIV, YouTube

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 11:11:50 PM »
You can definitely jump right into the second Borderlands, and I would actually recommend that you do so.  The mechanics were refined in some important ways that make it more fun and less frustrating. :)

I think a newbie can handle it, but you will want to consider the class you choose carefully.  I might go with the turret dude (Axton, I think his name is), because it takes a little of the aiming pressure off of you.  If you get the Vita version (which I'm not sure I'd recommend for you because of the control issues), go with the Mechromancer.  (She's a DLC character on consoles.) The game gives you story quests and side quests like any RPG, but it does a pretty good job of pointing you toward your objectives and telling you what they are, so if you put it down for a while, you won't be super lost when you come back to it.

Borderlands is probably a good fit for you if you like to customize, because you level up and have skill trees, and you get loot in the form of guns and grenades and shields and things with special effects.  Like some guns have a chance to set enemies on fire or electrocute them.  Some shields will release an elemental blast when they get depleted.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

insertnamehere

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 11:26:23 PM »
Never played these games but maybe you could check out the Heretic series?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heretic_(computer_game)
And since Bioshock was mentioned, look at System Shock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Shock

I mostly pop in occasionally to give my two cents on certain controversial things, so if you disagree then send a PM, because I generally don't check for replies in threads in case I feel like replying and then things get heated/derailed.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 01:27:14 AM »
Destiny..........take a gander. It's not very military, but it's definitely pretty.

TASTY!

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 09:44:17 AM »
You can definitely jump right into the second Borderlands, and I would actually recommend that you do so.  The mechanics were refined in some important ways that make it more fun and less frustrating. :)

I think a newbie can handle it, but you will want to consider the class you choose carefully.  I might go with the turret dude (Axton, I think his name is), because it takes a little of the aiming pressure off of you.  If you get the Vita version (which I'm not sure I'd recommend for you because of the control issues), go with the Mechromancer.  (She's a DLC character on consoles.) The game gives you story quests and side quests like any RPG, but it does a pretty good job of pointing you toward your objectives and telling you what they are, so if you put it down for a while, you won't be super lost when you come back to it.

Borderlands is probably a good fit for you if you like to customize, because you level up and have skill trees, and you get loot in the form of guns and grenades and shields and things with special effects.  Like some guns have a chance to set enemies on fire or electrocute them.  Some shields will release an elemental blast when they get depleted.

Thanks for the advice Took!

Totally heeded your words last night and gave it a shot. I'm not sure if first person style gameplay is a thing I can get into yet. I really don't like how it feels coming off a strict diet of JRPGs with the occasional action platformer in the mix. I figured after enjoying some time with Modnation racer, anything was possible! LoL

But what I can say, is that you were certainly correct about feeling right at home in borderlands 2 without having any knowledge of the first. There is clearly a great deal I could love here if the gameplay does in fact grow on me. Right off the bat I really could appreciate the art direction and atmosphere.

I gotta tell on myself though! I did not listen to your character suggestion. There was an assassin. I HAD to pick him man! Re-named Shadow, it just seemed right.

And thank you all for the other suggestions. Much appreciated as always. Doom=Testosterone and tough guy+demons in my mind. I just can't get into that (un-deserved and jaded bias on my part). Destiny looks a wee bit too "military" for me, or at least far more so than borderlands. I've yet to look into Heretic or Bioshock.

While we are on the subject, though totally unrelated, there is only ONE game in which Klyde will assume the role of military soldier happily. That game is X-Com. Why? Quite simply it is a damn near perfect strategy game with Aliens incorporated to successfully lend a damn-near survival horror quality suspense. In a word (or two). The game is about is good as it gets for me without having "Tales" or "Mana" in the title.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:46:18 AM by Klyde Chroma »

Bleaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 02:42:39 PM »
Well one game you should definitely check out is Half-Life 2. I would recommend HL1 but it hasn't aged as well. There is a remake of the game that is really good though. Half Life 2 is probably one of the best FPS games around, and could very well reach towards being one of the best games of all time. IMO at least. Seriously though, try it.
Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 06:46:59 PM »
Never played these games but maybe you could check out the Heretic series?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heretic_(computer_game)
And since Bioshock was mentioned, look at System Shock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Shock

Heretic sucked, IIRC. And NO. System Shock is waaay too complicated even for a veteran of then genre, and really damn difficult, too. (well the first one is. I guess the Second one isn't so bad if you know what you're doing)

And as much as I hate Half-Life 2, I will admit it's pretty easy to get into if you're new to the genre.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 07:45:57 PM »
And as much as I hate Half-Life 2

I thought I was the only one...OK, I wouldn't exactly say that I hated it.  I just found it to be very tedious.  It's got pacing issues, the shooting itself isn't anything special, and I feel like every encounter outstays its welcome.  There are a lot of sections that just drag on and on...like that goddamn boat part.  I genuinely hated that part of the game and it felt like it would never end.

I liked the first Half-life...at least until Xen.  Xen sucked.  But anyway, I could never get into Half-life 2.

Speaking of System Shock I think even SS2 is rather obtuse unless you're using a guide or something.  Those are difficult games for any newbie.  Bioshock is much more accessible.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 08:12:25 PM »
I hated the town in Half-Life 2 - Ravenholm?  Something like that, I think.  Played there for way too long, using up all of my ammo, trying to clear the place out so I could explore my way out safely only to later learn that there are infinite enemies there.

Portal and Portal 2 are awesome, though, and would probably work well for someone who isn't big into FPS games, except for a couple of parts that make you be quick on the draw.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

DPB

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 08:36:39 PM »
Half-Life 2 is the only game I had stop playing due to the horrible motion sickness it gave me. I barely made it through the boat level, and by the time I got to the buggy not long after I couldn't take any more of the camera being thrown about violently. I've played plenty of other first-person games without feeling like a living hell, but this was too much for me.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 09:38:33 AM »
came back to the thread to report, after starting over as Mechromancer, tooker was right (again). It is like a totally different game. She is waaaay more durable than the assassin ZerO and far more enjoyable for me to play as.

In fact, I am hooked!!

I can't believed I'd ever say I was totally addicted to a FPS but its got hold of me, GOOD!!!

I'll report more in the coming days over in the journal but I felt I owed the thread some closure after the communities ever so swift and helpful advice.