Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 12:40:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340850 Posts in 13927 Topics by 2221 Members
Latest Member: alceste007
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  If I were to watch ONE comedy show...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: If I were to watch ONE comedy show...  (Read 3626 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2014, 09:35:05 PM »

...what would you recommend?

I'm not big on comedies. Whether it's TV shows or movies I mostly see them as a waste of time, and filler between "real" shows/movies.
I can't remember the last time I watched a comedy show on a consistent basis. Seinfeld? Yeah, it's been that long.
So, I KNOW there are great shows out there that my dumb head is missing out on. I hear about shows like Parks and Recreation, and Arrested Development, and get slightly interested, but never enough to take the plunge.
I think I would be more open to an hour long comedy/drama type series. I mostly can't stand sitcoms with their laugh tracks and stupid humor. I saw an episode of Two and a Half Men once, and was baffled as to how it was so popular. It was awful.
People keep telling me to try The Big Bang Theory, but I have a feeling I'll get the same result.
I would appreciate any recommendations. Especially shows available on Netflix.
Thanks!

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 09:45:59 PM »

I can't remember the last time I watched a comedy show on a consistent basis. Seinfeld? Yeah, it's been that long.

Then you haven't missed out on anything.

People kept pestering me about watching the Big Bang Theory because I'm a 'geek'. I tried a handful of episode and it's boring as hell.
The show is basically made for 'normal' people to laugh at niche hobby people / people who are more knowledgeable in a field of science.
It's seriously disgusting.

At least I'll give it to the writers that they have the niche quotes and scientific principles right if anything.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 10:17:22 PM by Annubis » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 09:47:40 PM »

I had a lot of fun back then watching Arrested Development. Don't remember the show having a laugh track either.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 10:09:57 PM »

I hated Big Bang Theory besides the few parts specifically showed to me.

= Parks and Rec (skip SSN1, after that is *golden*)
Type of Humor: Workplace, government, bureaucratic.  But everyone is friends, the townspeople are ridiculous, and the "in-universe" is tight and perfect. 
http://youtu.be/LyPw80a7BRI Ron Swanson may be the greatest person ever.

= Arrested Development (maybe skip the latest 4th season if you're pressed for time; but the show is *unreal* good)
ToH: Goofy, but include that Seinfeldian "what goes around comes around" humour.  The running gags are brilliant, and the narration (by Ron Howard of all people) does a great job.

= Brooklyn Nine Nine (new, a bit spotty, but off to a great start with only one season in)
ToH: I actually found Andy Samberg annoying, but the rest of the cast is perfectly worked.  Usually a "case of the week" where different officers tend to work together while their personal quirks blossom.

= It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (Actually haven't seen, my friend loves it though and it's on my 'to watch' list)
ToH: ?

= Curb Your Enthusiasm
ToH: You liked Seinfeld?  Same creator.  In fact, stars *the* creator.

= The Office (till Carrell leaves, then drop that shit)
ToH: Based around awkward relationships of the people you *must* work with; the barriers gradually break down.  It really works effectively with the "mockumentary" style; the camera pans, zooms, and "interview" segments really add a lot of the chuckles.

= Scrubs (Classic)
ToH: A strange cast brought together to be wonderfully weird together.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 10:15:35 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 10:10:43 PM »

The show is basically made for 'normal' people to laugh at niche hobby people / people who are more knowledgeable in a field of science.
It's seriously disgusting.

The character Sheldon basically is somewhere on the Autism spectrum disorder and they make jokes at his expense all the time. I too find it gross, and I also find the NBC drama "Parenthood" a decent remedy to this particular issue.

I'll echo Arrested Development: it is AMAZING not just for pop culture humor, but for very clever and subtle fourth-wall-breaking, and self-referential humor. The Ron Howard narration is a huge boon, though often overlooked even by fans.

I'll also recommend Louis CK's FX show "Louie" (3 seasons so far). Just ... watch it all. SO good. It's got dark moments but if you even remotely like this comedian (and you SHOULD, he's amazing) ... this show is an extension of his brilliance.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 10:14:54 PM »

I hate comedies, American comedies especially. I really digged Flight of the Concords.

I'm going to babble on for the rest of the post because.

What little I've seen of The Office was really funny, too. Not sure if I should try watching a full episode or just try watching more clips. I also thought I heard it gets more absurd as the seasons go by.

As far as cartoons are concerned, Futurama is easily the best I've seen, by a country mile. I saw a few episodes of Rick and Morty, and it came the closest to Futurama out of any other cartoon I've seen, but it's still not there yet. I should really see more of that someday, though.

I'll admit that I only know about Parks and Recreation from the Ron Swanson clips I've seen, but that alone warrants its existance in my eyes. Maybe someday I'll check out the series to see how the rest of it is.

Sgt. Frog's English Dub/rewrite was exceptional from what I recall, Momoka-focused episodes aside. I'm not sure if it was just a fluke, though. I tried watching season 3 a couple different times and just couldn't get into it...but when I was in it, it was 52 episodes of almost nonstop laughter. I'll admit a lot of it was pretty childish and it definitely isn't for everyone, but something about it just clicked and I couldn't stop watching. I hadn't felt like that before besides when I found VG Cats (and if you can't tell, I really really like VG Cats).

Gintama and Arakawa Under the Bridge are two of the very very few Japanese comedies I've ever gotten into. They are sheer genius at times, and at the very least consistantly chuckle-worthy. I need to watch more of them, though. I guess I'm still afraid of having "too much of a good thing" and burning out.

Speaking of burning out: DBZ Abridged! Loved this one. I actually just got finished watching it from beginning to end for the 3rd (4th?) time. I think I'm a little addicted since my brain kept talking in the voices of the various characters for 3 days straight. I think it only just stopped. I'm pretty tuckered out, now, though. I need something somewhat serious again...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 10:30:39 PM »

I saw a few episodes of Rick and Morty, and it came the closest to Futurama out of any other cartoon I've seen, but it's still not there yet. I should really see more of that someday, though.

I had a blast with Season 1 of Rick and Morty. And that's not something I can say in retrospective of Futurama (for as much fun I had with some episodes).
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 10:39:48 PM »

SO much hate for the Big Bang Theory in this thread holy shit I did not expect that. I love the show and have seen every season. Modern Family also gets me. Those are the only 2 comedy shows I have ever liked. I usually hate all comedy shows.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 10:55:16 PM »

I think The Middle is a solid sitcom, particularly the earlier seasons.  EDIT: It doesn't have that typical "staged" sitcom feel with laugh tracks and whatnot.  The atmosphere is also more surreal/absurd. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:27:15 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 10:59:40 PM »

I like Modern Family. I mean, the concept of a poor person doesn't exist in that show, but the humor is good and can be quite witty.

A few members of my family like Big Bang (including my 70 year old grandmother) so I have to watch a few episodes through gritted teeth, but hey ho.

That's about all I know about American comedies in modern times, sadly.

I could mention a few British comedies, but I doubt they would be your style. Also I don't think any of them are sitcoms.

I recently watched "Inside No. 9" which was great. But the humor is mostly derived by how creepy it is (though the dialogue is pretty funny).

Noel Fieldings Luxuary Comedy is pretty psychedelic and...yeah, just weird. But I love it.

The IT Crowd is funny, by the creator of Father Ted if you have seen that (and if you havn't you should watch that). And after that you should watch Black Books. Then you should watch the IT Crowd. Oh hey, look, there are sitcoms!

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 09:58:28 AM »

I watch a lot of comedies, though more comedy movies and anime than american tv shows. But there are some decent ones depending on your taste. If you like SNL style humor, I consider Brooklyn Nine Nine pretty good, though people seem to either really love that show or hate it. The show Community has really differing levels of quality between seasons for some reason but I think seasons one and 2 were really good. Arrested Development and 30 Rock are also shows to consider. All in all thinking about it, there really haven't been that many american comedy shows.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 01:06:15 PM »

The IT Crowd is funny, by the creator of Father Ted if you have seen that (and if you havn't you should watch that). And after that you should watch Black Books. Then you should watch the IT Crowd. Oh hey, look, there are sitcoms!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 09:13:33 PM »

Thanks for all the recs folks, especially those who really broke it down.
I've had Louie and Arrested Development on my Netflix List for a while now. I finally watched the first two eps of Louie last night. It was pretty good. Definitely a little different. Uncomfortable humor, which I kind of like, because it's real. I'll watch more eps for sure.
I figure I'll watch an ep of Arrested tonight to see how I like that.
Curb Your Enthusiasm had been on my radar for a while, then I simply forgot about it. I'd like to watch it, but I see Netflix doesn't have it on streaming. Is there another (legal) way to watch it?
I've heard Parks and Rec is good, but skip the entire first season? That's seems odd. Wouldn't I feel like I was missing something by starting with season 2?
Thanks folks!

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 10:01:56 AM »

Don't feel bad for hating Big Bang Theory... that shit is a disgrace. I'd rather watch according to jim and then blow my head off.

The thing about some good modern comedy shows is that you have to invest a few episodes in to really get it. Arrested Development is probably the funniest show ever, but it is both over the top and super subtle at the same time. The funniest bits are cursory side gags, and later some very self-referential gags.

Parks and Rec is one of my favorites, but the first season is mediocre at best. But even starting in season 2 it takes a bit to be charmed by the cast.

30 Rock is probably the one show where you don't have to invest a whole lot of time in. That shit is funny from the get-go and the whole cast produces humor.

I have a hard time recommending Community, even though I love it. It's my darling and I'm scared of people not enjoying it. However it's nerd humor done right, fuck Big Bang Theory. It does take a few eps to really get rolling. But they do special theme episodes better than everyone ever.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 10:04:02 AM »

Oh, It Crowd, Father Ted, Black Books...

fantastic. absolutely brilliant. American shows get a bad rap for laugh tracks but unfortunately these three have really obnoxious tracks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: