Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 05:31:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331388 Posts in 13572 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  If I were to watch ONE comedy show...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: If I were to watch ONE comedy show...  (Read 1227 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 10:35:58 AM »

I watched 2 eps of Arrested last night. What a bizarre show. I can definitely see how this could build up into something great. I'll keep watching. The husband of the blonde lady is crazy annoying, though, and not really in a funny way. Hopefully they drop that act soon.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 11:26:57 AM »

You mean this guy?

If you don't like that character then you probably won't like the show as a whole.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 01:11:50 PM »

You know I have never met a person in my life who hated Big Bang Theory until I stumbled upon this thread. All of my nerd friends and I love that show and watch it every week and my parents & fiance love it too. I find that interesting. It's won a bunch of Emmy's too which usually is a good thing.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 01:32:25 PM »

^ I know a lot of people who hate the Big Bang Theory, but I'm not one of them.

I find people who hate it tend to take it too personally. The argument is "the comedy has us laughing at the characters and not with them," and then I challenge them to name one sitcom where that isn't the case. I mean, I hate to burst the haters' bubbles, but there are aspects of geek/nerd culture that are pretty dumb when you think about it.

Though it also helps that as someone who suffers from OCD, I can sympathize--and therefore also comfortably laugh at--the character of Sheldon. I can see how others would find his character slightly insensitive or offensive.

I can also agree with the sentiment that the character of Amy and her dichotomy with the other female characters is really sexist, but I don't think it hurts the show as a whole.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:35:31 PM by Klutz64 » Logged

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 01:53:03 PM »

I enjoy Big Bang Theory and so does my family.  Some of the ridiculous stuff that happens reminds me of ridiculous stuff I did with the guys I shared an apartment with during grad school.  Same with my dad (and my mom, who moved into my dad's graduate apartment when they got married.) 

So I think the show is a bit overrated?  Yes.  Do I think the earlier seasons are better than the newer ones?  Yes.  Still a solid, show though. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 01:56:31 PM »

I tend to lower my review of a show once it includes a laugh track.  Something's wrong when you're trying to get people to laugh.

http://youtu.be/jKS3MGriZcs

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »

I don't care about how they don't represent geek culture or whatever, I'm not very into that myself. (Although I do find their lack of females interested in comics, video games, tv shows to be highly annoying. They can be intelligent, sure, Amy and Bernadette are smart, but every mention of comics or video games is met with an eye roll from them and a "oh boys with their toys" attitude. Where is the actual female representation?)

The shows attitude towards India also makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Mostly I just hate the character of Sheldon. How to audience practically fall to pieces at the very sight of him, how long he mugs the camera for ages.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 02:03:10 PM »

The episode where the girls were having a heated debate over a Thor comic was funny.

And, as far as contemporary sitcoms go, I still recommend The Middle.  I talked about it some in a previous post.  

EDIT: Changed a ? to a .
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 04:42:38 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 02:05:07 PM »

I don't know, was it? I don't watch the show. Are they all into comics now? Whatever I saw was met with complete indifference towards them.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 02:26:38 PM »

The episode where the girls were having a heated debate over a Thor comic was funny? 

And, as far as contemporary sitcoms go, I still recommend The Middle.  I talked about it some in a previous post. 

The Middle is a solid comedy I've seen episodes here and there, but it can be juvenile and stupid at times. Still pretty funny though.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »

^ I know a lot of people who hate the Big Bang Theory, but I'm not one of them.

I find people who hate it tend to take it too personally. The argument is "the comedy has us laughing at the characters and not with them," and then I challenge them to name one sitcom where that isn't the case. I mean, I hate to burst the haters' bubbles, but there are aspects of geek/nerd culture that are pretty dumb when you think about it.

Though it also helps that as someone who suffers from OCD, I can sympathize--and therefore also comfortably laugh at--the character of Sheldon. I can see how others would find his character slightly insensitive or offensive.

I can also agree with the sentiment that the character of Amy and her dichotomy with the other female characters is really sexist, but I don't think it hurts the show as a whole.

I don't like it because it doesn't make me laugh, not because I think it's laughing AT geek culture and not with it. Which is a shame because I love "that dude from Roseanne.' Has he aged? what the hell
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 04:43:11 PM »

I don't know, was it? I don't watch the show. Are they all into comics now? Whatever I saw was met with complete indifference towards them.

It was.  I accidentally typed a ? instead of a . so I made no sense. Sowwie.

EDIT: And Big Bang Theory has a whole slew of people from Roseanne.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 09:58:07 PM »

Yes, Yoda, that guy. But I've only seen two episodes so far. I can't imagine much of anyone found him funny at this stage, as he hasn't done anything funny yet. Crying in the shower because your wife got a commercial part that you tried out for? Not funny. His audition? Not funny.
I'll give it time, though, as I like the rest of it so far.

Laugh tracks are insulting to peoples intelligence. I can't stand them.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 01:28:14 AM »

I guess it depends on what u find funny. I DESPISE Big Bang Theory. A constant spew of canned laughter does not make something funny. Check out a youtube clip without it...just saying.  I do enjoy shows that have that though such as Seinfeld and the almighty Red Dwarf. Actually, Red Dwarf, The Simpsons, and Monty Pythons Flying Circus are my favorites. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is great too. I have yet to warch Arrested Development which I hear is great.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Futomimi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2014, 02:19:11 AM »

I second (or third or fourth I didn't keep accurate count) that 30 Rock and Always Sunny in Phil. are good. Sunny is rather irreverent if you like irreverent comedies. It gets more so later on. 30 Rock is a mixture of both smart and stupid comedy, but it is a very satisfying mix. It has a lot of word play. They are both on Netflix.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: