Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 06:02:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334723 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Just Beat an RPG Already!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Just Beat an RPG Already!  (Read 3656 times)
Shooichi

rjmoriarty83
View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2006, 05:10:38 AM »

Okay, so for all I know, I'm really the only person with the following problem:

I just don't finish games. Short games, long games, first person shooter games, role playing games, puzzle games, licensed games, indie games, flash games, console games. The worst being roleplaying games, which I love so much. I simply can't sit through one, it seems without starting another, which eventually leads to me ignoring the first for the second, which eventually gets abandoned for the third.

And so on and so forth.

Does anyone else have a similar gameplay habit? Do you have some sort of "system" to keep you in check?

Here's one I'm entertaining: AA members use the support of eachother (amongst other things) to escape the prison of their alchoholism. Not to say the two situations are similar, but could we not do the same?

The idea is to pick one game, swear up and down in this thread that you will finish it, knowing that the other participants will also engage in this activity. The Game Journal thread in General Discussion would be the optimum place to share your game experiences, of course, but perhaps here we can focus on actually beating a game (assuming, of course, that I'm not the only one with a shitty attention span.)

Alternatively, any advice or similar issues that you can share with me so maybe I can finally beat an RPG that is longer than 10 hours?

Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 09:20:11 AM »

Back during the 16 bit days I had this problem big time. Of course, more RPG's were coming out back then too. I'd start a game, get another one, drop the first one and start the new one, etc. But I stopped that years ago because I would forget what was going on in the storyline, and also forget the button layout of each game. I literally would have to retrain myself as to what button did what for each game. So since then, I haven't started one game until finishing another. When I buy a new game I'll play the beginning hour or so just to see how it is, but that's it if I'm already playing another game.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 11:34:56 AM »

I have a few games like these. Games that I, in theory, really like a lot but for one or another reason I can never bring myself to finishing them. Three games that instantly springs to mind are Wild Arms 3, Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter and Okami.

I also have a bunch of games I haven't beaten because I just don't like them. Magna Carta, Star Ocean: Till The End of Time, Grandia 3 and Disgaea 2 all fall into this category.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 11:38:46 AM »

Quote from: "Shooichi"
Does anyone else have a similar gameplay habit?

Yes, yes I do.

Sadly....i have nothing to offer in terms of help. I have just recently discovered WHY i cant finish games. It's name is Warcraft, and it is a vicious bitch.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 11:40:23 AM »

When keeping tabs on multiple RPGs, it helps to keep a notebook so that you can jot down where you left off  and where you need to go, when you stopped playing.  That way if you come back to it weeks later after the burnout's gone, you won't be totally lost.  That way you also don't have to tax your brain to remember stuff.  

Or invest in a cheat device like a Gameshark.  When things get too tedious, just punch in some cheat codes and breeze your way through to the end.  That way you can get the story without the chorelike gameplay.  

Makes the time commitment less tiresome too.  With a GameShark, FF7 can be beaten in 25-35 hours.  And I'll be honest, these days any RPG time commitment more than that becomes quite tiresome for me.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 11:58:07 AM »

It's easy:  buy a game, beat it, buy another one.  If you buy two or three games at a time, you've already lost the backlog battle.

Now if you're just playing up to the end of things and not beating them...so what?  As long as you enjoyed the time you spent on them, I don't see why it matters. :P

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 12:16:50 PM »

I had the habit of stopping at the final dungeon, but like Britton, it was so hard going back trying to finish them.  I mostly stopped because I liked the game so much I didn't want it to end.  Anyways,  I vowed to finish a game before I tried a new one on the same console.  I'm not so inflexible that I don't allow myself to play a PC or a DS game at the same time.    

I don't even take a sneak peak at a game.  I also try not to read threads about a new game since it's really hard trying to resist a game everyone is playing.  In a weird way, you kinda feel left out .

It is a lot easier to stick to a game when someone else is playing it.  There are a few people I talk to off the boards here and they tend to keep me on track and vice versa.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 12:53:10 PM »

Some games I literally can't stop playing until I finish them, some games I simply can't invoke the energy to try finishing them.  Some games just aren't as fun to play. :p

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 01:01:08 PM »

It helps too if they're different genres, or at least sub-genres. I sorta agree with what DR said too about beating games (and the backlog thing, but I can't keep to that at all): However, it sucks to leave some games unbeaten. But I feel worse about a lot of Japanese RPGs than I would, say, Oblivion, where I can have accomplished a separate set of goals, then just finish it properly at a later point if the fancy strikes, while I have a 100+ hours into DWVII and would kinda like to actually beat it someday.

I have a vicious backlog though, and sometimes will randomly pluck games from said backlog and finish them at least. Most of the RPGs I've beaten this year were actually ones from 2004 or 2005 that I finally got around to wrapping up. VS technically qualifies too, albit from longer ago, but that was a fresh start, not continuing a mid to near-end save.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 04:55:00 PM »

I definitely have this problem.

I think the last RPG I completed and actually saw the credits roll was Breath of Fire:Dragon Quarter.

Every RPG I play, I'll get somewhere close to the end, do a bunch of sidequests, and then another game will come out and I'll forget about it.

It really gets on my nerves actually. I realize I do it, but I can't help it. I recently traded in alot of RPGs that were incomplete towards my purchase of a DS lite because I knew I was never going to finish them. It was upsetting to part with them.

My current unfinished list consists of: Dragon Quest VIII(60 hours), Digital Devil Saga(50 hours. Plus, planning on beating this week.),Devil Summoner(24 hours).  This is excluding PS1 RPGs. =P I never finished Star Ocean 2. I put about 75 hours into that and my save file is in the last dungeon. There's no excuse for that. Same with Xenogears.

I'm glad I got rid of those other RPGs because this list would be a hell of alot longer, and I'd probably groan everytime I'd look at my gaming rack for a game to play because I knew I'd have like 10 games to beat.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 05:22:04 PM »

I think just being part of this community destroys your ability to finish games properly. There's always news of some other tasty snack you just know you gotta try.

Fuck RPGFan. Fuck 'em I say!
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 05:26:29 PM »

Quote from: "CluelessWonder"

I don't even take a sneak peak at a game.  I also try not to read threads about a new game since it's really hard trying to resist a game everyone is playing.  In a weird way, you kinda feel left out .

I feel left out too. It takes a lot of self-restraint for me to not click on some of threads on this board. FFXII, VP2, XS3-- so many reportedly awesome games that have just come out in the past few months that I won't get to play for a long time because 1) I have 30+ RPGs to complete in my library already and 2) I currently don't have any consoles except for my GBA because I recently moved and had to leave my stuff at my other house. I haven't played any RPGs for two months. -_-

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 05:42:41 PM »

That way you can get the story without the chorelike gameplay.

Why would someone play a game with chorelike gameplay..?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 06:01:57 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"

Because they feel like they need to complete their backlog in order to feel good about playing a new game. I have this exact problem: I own something  upwards 10 PS2 games (worth roughly 250 hours of gameplay), 7 PC games (all except for one or two being games you could play indefinitely, e.g. WoW, Civ 4, Sims 2, etc.), and various other games (1 for the DS, a bunch of GBA roms, 3 for the Wii including Zelda, and more) that I feel obligated to play and beat simply because I own them.

There are some games I've played for a bit before I put down (SMT: Nocturne for 10 hours, Suikoden V for 20, DQVIII for a mere 30 minutes). I have felt, especially recently, that my backlog is owning me, and it's horrible. I'm all for the proposed topic.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 06:09:23 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
That way you can get the story without the chorelike gameplay.

I can think of a couple RPGs where people loved aspects of the game other than the gameplay.  Xenosaga (particularly the first one) comes to mind, where even though some people loved the story, they absolutely HATED the gameplay.  Planescape: Torment is another example.  While the writing was phenomenal, the gameplay was just another Bioware engine rehash.  Probably the most recent example of games in this "series" is Suikoden V, though not for quite the same reasons (it was just so ridiculously easy that it bothered some people).

Of course, there are also those series that you play for the gameplay despite the horrible story.  Speaking of which, I need to get around to finishing Grandia III.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: