Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 11:18:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335260 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Just Beat an RPG Already!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Just Beat an RPG Already!  (Read 3665 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 06:48:40 PM »

...that and even an RPG with awesomely cool and dynamic gameplay can have its gameplay start to get a little stale by the 70th hour.  And then it feels like an obligation to finish.  It becomes work.  And a game should never feel like work or an obligation.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 10:24:20 PM »

Fuck RPGFan. Fuck 'em I say!

Yeah man. What he said!

Ramza

Shooichi

rjmoriarty83
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 10:56:44 PM »

Wow, your responses have been very comforting and helpful. As per the advice pointed out earlier, I will start purchasing less games, and I can definetly do with not reading threads of games I don't have. It's true that most of my impulse purchases has been the result of reading those threads. And then, by the time I make any significant progress, there is another thread of another game that EVERYONE ELSE is playing.

It's just especially nice to know that I'm not the only person who needs a little effort to stick with a particular game. I've tried telling myself "I will play this one to its conclusion before beginning any other," but then I come up with an excuse to try that OTHER game. I think the solution is to JUST STOP DOING THAT.

salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 03:06:45 AM »

ohhh it happend to me so many times i stop to count. the most new game i stop to play is ff12 before that it was tactics and before that dragon quest vi. i dont think that we are the one that couse that. i mean god i love rpg but many of them have so many un-fun elements to them that

really really dont need to be there random battles.484848 or so repretive battles that dont make us to use our head or very unbalanced diffucly level ... so one
simply jump to the next rpg he find in the hope that is better from the last...

ps. i buy suikoden v and it in my room close and all wait me to finish tales of legendia and you all just make me panic that this game is too much easy... how you can to look on yourselves in the miror guys :)
MartinMM

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 06:31:11 AM »

My problem is similar, i start to play a game, play it for awhile then i go reading on the internet about other games, maybe get some new games. But i don't start playing them, because i force my self to finish the games i have started. The problem is that i dont finish, i stop playing altogether. Which sucks. I've had nothing to do the last couple of days, i have tons of unplayed games, but i can't get myself to play them before i finish Taled of Legendia, but on the other hand i can't get my self to play Tales of Legendia. So instead of playing at all, i have been bored :P

So forcing yourself to finish games can be counterproductive :)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 01:07:47 PM »

I think we all forget what the definition of a "game" is. Games are supposed to equal fun. The word "chore", or even "backlog", should never come into play(pun intended).
If a game is not fun, don't play it. I stopped playing Suikoden V because I wasn't having fun. I am playing Okami now, which is a lot of fun.
Then again, you have serious minded games like FFXII, which may not necessarily be "fun", but they are damn entertaining, and that is worth just as much.
Nowadays I either play a game to completion before starting another, or stop playing for some reason(see above). I rarely buy a new game before finishing the one I'm playing.
I never use the word Backlog in association with gaming. It makes me think of work. The day games become work is the day I stop playing them.
I agree with CW, though. Reading a thread about a game "everyone" else is playing when you're still plodding trough a game that came out a year ago can be tough. I still read them, though. Masochistic, I guess.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Sartori

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 04:58:21 PM »

Quote from: "Shooichi"
Okay, so for all I know, I'm really the only person with the following problem:

I just don't finish games. Short games, long games, first person shooter games, role playing games, puzzle games, licensed games, indie games, flash games, console games. The worst being roleplaying games, which I love so much. I simply can't sit through one, it seems without starting another, which eventually leads to me ignoring the first for the second, which eventually gets abandoned for the third.

And so on and so forth.

Does anyone else have a similar gameplay habit? Do you have some sort of "system" to keep you in check?

Here's one I'm entertaining: AA members use the support of eachother (amongst other things) to escape the prison of their alchoholism. Not to say the two situations are similar, but could we not do the same?

The idea is to pick one game, swear up and down in this thread that you will finish it, knowing that the other participants will also engage in this activity. The Game Journal thread in General Discussion would be the optimum place to share your game experiences, of course, but perhaps here we can focus on actually beating a game (assuming, of course, that I'm not the only one with a shitty attention span.)

Alternatively, any advice or similar issues that you can share with me so maybe I can finally beat an RPG that is longer than 10 hours?

Stay off the Internet, you'll find yourself finishing all sorts of stuff.....
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: