Author Topic: TGS 2014 General Discussion

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
TGS 2014 General Discussion
« on: September 01, 2014, 03:58:08 AM »
So Sony's kicking things off with a shitload of games coming down the pipeline (like enough to make their E3 showing look completely anemic), and some of which are actually relevant to our interests like a new Ys game, a Dragon Quest Musou style knock off, a Persona 5 trailer (that actually shows off the main character), Disgaea 5, a sequel to Fairy Fencer F, a sequel to that Senran Kagura Vita game, and so on.

So here's a thread for the stuff that winds up slipping through the cracks or aren't worth an entire thread about.

Edit: VVV Sony's just jumping the gun by like half a month apparently. TGS proper is still set for Sept 18~21.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 05:45:11 AM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
Re: TGS 2014 General Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 04:29:35 AM »
Jeez, PAX isn't even over yet and they're already doing TGS announcements?  Too many events!

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 04:55:24 AM »
While I always have a good time checking out what's new every year with TGS, this year I'm looking foward more to Blizzcon. Not to mention that for the rest of the year The Evil Within is the only game I care about when it comes to the unreleased stuff.

So yeah... I don't think I'll have much of an investment with either events much even though I do expect some bombs to dropped.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 05:17:41 AM »
I watched a bit of the Sony conference.  I thought Deemo for Vita looked kind of neat.

Then I realized it was a port of a mobile game.

Then I downloaded the mobile game.

Then I started to play the mobile game.

I'm not sure that's what they were going for...

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 05:38:42 AM »
So there was a Persona 5 trailer shown during Sony's TGS presentation. Here's the tl;dr;

Coming soon to PS3/4.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 05:44:16 AM »
Almost 5 goddamn years that ATLUS has been promising persona 5 was going to be a thing. I'll believe it's real once I see the title screen loaded up on my ps3.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 06:03:54 AM »
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 01:32:52 PM by Yggdrasil »

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 06:41:27 AM »
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or what, but that Summer Lesson thing just looked friggin creepy to me...

Anyway, some general impressions:
  • Lot's of titles for both PS4 & PSV, which is pretty neat.
  • PSV seems alive and well in Japan, even if Sony has abandoned it everywhere else.
  • Why did Ubisoft get so much time at a Japanese conference...
  • Speaking of too much time, Sega's Yakuza guy talks way too much.
  • New God Eater 2.  Why does literally every single one of these hunting type games seem to get a semi-sequel at some point?  Anyway, this one is for Vita and PS4 (PSP finally abandoned), so maybe, maybe they could actually localized this version...nah
  • Persona 5 looks Persona-y.  That's not a bad thing.
  • I am very excited for new Ys.
  • I am also very excited for new Senran Kagura.  Don't judge me.
  • I am not excited for another Disgaea.  I'm totally burnt-out on that series.
  • A TOUHOU GAME FOR PS...er, no, it's just ports of fan-made spin-off games.  Because Zun would never let his precious Touhou be put on a major system like that.  Then it might actually be accessible to people...
  • Oh, and Deemo is pretty neat...er, not sure why you would wait for it on Vita.  It's all touch-based anyway.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 08:36:29 AM »
I could never judge anyone for liking Senran Kagura.

Last night I was thinking of reviving the Waifu thread to gush about how awesome a character Yomi is.

And nobody mentioned the greatest announcement from the conference: PS4 THEMES!!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:14:11 AM by Klutz64 »

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 10:35:09 AM »
WAY hyped for Persona 5 and Ys 8.  Kind of interested in Dragon Quest Musou.  It is an official Musou game, right?  Or is it just a Squenix-made clone using Dragon Quest characters?  Medium amounts of hype for Disgaea 5.  I love Disgaea, but I Found Dimensions a little disappointing.  Hopefully this is the Disgaea I wanted that to be. 

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 01:39:54 PM »
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or what, but that Summer Lesson thing just looked friggin creepy to me...

Creppy? Hah. This is weird coming from you.

I see how people are thinking with their dicks when they see Summer Lesson, but I'm purely attracted to it from a technological standpoint.

New God Eater 2.  Why does literally every single one of these hunting type games seem to get a semi-sequel at some point?

Aren't those more like the kind of updates a fighting games has?

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 02:24:09 PM »
Yes, I too am attracted to Summer Lesson from a purely...

...technological standpoint.

(I'm also attracted to Harada shirt. Its a nice shirt.)

WAY hyped for Persona 5 and Ys 8.  Kind of interested in Dragon Quest Musou.  It is an official Musou game, right?  Or is it just a Squenix-made clone using Dragon Quest characters?  Medium amounts of hype for Disgaea 5.  I love Disgaea, but I Found Dimensions a little disappointing.  Hopefully this is the Disgaea I wanted that to be. 

Its definitely a Dragon Warriors game. Team Omega Force was name dropped during the trailer and they're the core team on all the Musou games.

And nobody mentioned the greatest announcement from the conference: PS4 THEMES!!

This is the greatest announcement of the show.

Yggdrasil

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 03:19:39 PM »
Why are you guys being prudes about Summer Lesson? I don't get it. ┐( ̄ヮ ̄)┌

(I'm also attracted to Harada shirt. Its a nice shirt.)

That's Harada "Hikikomori shirt".

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 04:36:37 PM »
Well I suppose today provides ample reason for me to start saving for a PS4. These announcements were just too much for me to deny even if there is still well over a years worth of PS3/Xbox360/PSP games I want to get to. Maybe I can take advantage of some black friday hunt later this year and catch a deal.

I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 04:51:54 PM »
Well I suppose today provides ample reason for me to start saving for a PS4. These announcements were just too much for me to deny even if there is still well over a years worth of PS3/Xbox360/PSP games I want to get to. Maybe I can take advantage of some black friday hunt later this year and catch a deal.
You say an episode of Scooby Doo.  I say a murder mystery that evolves into a struggle to prevent the entire world from being drowned in nihilism, using fog as a metaphor for illusion vs. truth.  Whatever.  Potayto Potahto. 

I always get consoles years late, so I won't be getting a PS4 for at least two years.  But damn these announcements make a PS4 much more attractive to me.  At least I'll be able to play P5 in the next two years on a system that I already own.