Author Topic: Best First Towns in an RPG

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
Best First Towns in an RPG
« on: September 01, 2014, 02:18:28 PM »
As the subject suggests, me and my friends recently talked about our favorite first towns in RPGs. They're usually the best or one of the better towns because of the importance of first impressions and all. So yeah, personal choices include Mushroom Kingdom from Super Mario RPG, Millennial Fair in Chrono Trigger if that counts, Rabanastre from FF12, Midgar from FF7 just for the sheer size and how much time you spend there and I guess the Citadel from Mass Effect counts as one(all of my favorite stores are there). Curious to see what all your thoughts are.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: Best First Towns in an RPG
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 03:13:12 PM »
Narche from FFVI

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 04:46:41 PM »
Narche from FFVI
It's spelled "Narshe."  I would know.  Signature.  

Back on topic, Inaba from Persona 4.  Really richly detailed for being a "small" town, it's easy to get caught up in all the little things in it.  Granted, 95% of the game takes place in that town, but it still counts for the topic.  

I'll also give a small shoutout to Tristram from the first Diablo.  It's not the most richly detailed town in an RPG, but it had a good amount of character to it for a 1996 computer game AND gives you a great feeling of safety, as most of the time you're seconds from death when you're anywhere else.  Really memorable.  

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 06:42:48 PM »
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:04:01 PM by glassjawsh »

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 06:44:44 PM »
Narche from FFVI
It's spelled "Narshe."  I would know.  Signature. 

Back on topic, Inaba from Persona 4.  Really richly detailed for being a "small" town, it's easy to get caught up in all the little things in it.  Granted, 95% of the game takes place in that town, but it still counts for the topic. 

I'll also give a small shoutout to Tristram from the first Diablo.  It's not the most richly detailed town in an RPG, but it had a good amount of character to it for a 1996 computer game AND gives you a great feeling of safety, as most of the time you're seconds from death when you're anywhere else.  Really memorable. 

The original spelling was Narche. I would know, 3 minute google search with a dozen sources. THANKS A LOT WOOLSEY!!!

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 07:39:17 PM »
In addition to the ones mentioned, I will add Gregminster from Suikoden because it has one of my all time favorite town music themes. 
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 02:37:17 AM »
Tristram from the first Diablo.  

And some of the best "town" music ever.

My vote goes for Fountainhead in Might & Magic 3. True to it's name:

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 07:16:57 AM »
The original spelling was Narche. I would know, 3 minute google search with a dozen sources. THANKS A LOT WOOLSEY!!!
Huh, that's weird.  I did a cursory Google search as well and almost every source I found was Eald'Narche from Final Fantasy XI.  Whatever.  My bad. 

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 09:06:18 PM »
yeah the first time you go into the town was really cool with the magitek armors and the frozen esper.  Kakariko village in Link to the Past was interesting in that it was the first town in a game I played with mini-games and I learned that lawn-mowing pays.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 10:01:16 PM »

Arlia from Star Ocean 2 (in good part to the quaintness and lovely music.

Fenmont from Tales of Xillia (I'm not sure how well "Tales graphics" work in its favour, but it's a conceptual wet dream; I especially like the floral and fauna "night lights" and green-hued cosmos)

Alexandria from FFIX.  I'd say Treno is my favourite city, but for a first, Alexandria is pretty close.  I like its big "secret" about the castle, and the fact it's got hippo people.... hippo....people.

Can we not extend this topics to just "cool towns" in general??
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 10:31:01 PM »
^The best part about Alexandria is the fact that it somehow wound up being both the designated Amazon Nation and the world conquering Empire which is otherwise a combination that never happens.

yeah the first time you go into the town was really cool with the magitek armors and the frozen esper.  Kakariko village in Link to the Past was interesting in that it was the first town in a game I played with mini-games and I learned that lawn-mowing pays.

I second these, although I liked aLttP's Kakariko more for the fact that between it and the opening sequence, you have pretty much assembled all of your essential adventuring tools (minus the Bow which comes from the first dungeon), and I liked Narshe due to the fact that you revisit it multiple times throughout the game and for completely different reasons each time (compared to FFVII's Midgar wherein once you initially leave it, you don't step foot there again until near the end of the game as the penultimate dungeon; save for a couple of optional sidequest things).

That said, allow me to add Kattleox Island to the list. Sure you spend almost the entire game in that part of the world, but how many games let you both blow up a significant portion of its population center at various points and rebuild/improve it through donations?
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 11:39:49 PM »
I heartily approve of Dice's picks.

A quick scan through the memory banks makes me call up ... yes I'm serious ... New York City from Shadow Hearts 3 (From The New World). I really loved this game, and I thought it opened very nicely. You also return to NYC near the end for some big awesome story stuff.

They also go to a nearby Arkham. <3 Lovecraft, before it was Batman-adopted.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 12:17:12 AM »
What if Hewlett-Packard Lovecraft was Batman?

Anyway I guess I'm supposed to give some facetious-ass response here cause that's my gig so uh

JAPAN, FROM SHENMUE

Serious answer though would probably Onett, from whatever game that was from. It actually felt like a place to me and not just a thing you briefly stepped by to start your adventure after your parents watched them get killed.

Of course what I remember about it is being in fourth grade and renting the game and having a hard time with the first two bosses, and it felt huge to me for that -- there's a boss before you get to the town's outskirts, and a boss before you can leave the town proper, and the place is developed/has details that make it feel real -- there's goddamn road traffic in Earthbound!

More importantly though it actually felt homey. Maybe more like home than my real home, 'cause I grew up in a geriatric neighborhood without sidewalks or anything to do outside and whoops I feel sad now.

so viet
much union
wow
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:25:37 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 12:31:18 AM »

Arlia from Star Ocean 2 (in good part to the quaintness and lovely music.

Oh yeah, it's almost sad when you have to leave =(

... and dammit... you make me want to play SO2.
The beginning of any Star Ocean when you start exploring the low tech world so much fun.

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 01:15:05 AM »
Earthbound had some interesting towns and I remember needing the Runaway Five to play music to keep the ghosts in the tunnel away.
All of Super Mario RPGs towns were distinctive and memorable actually, Monstro town was cool and Nimbusland is a town of cloud people who don't tihnk it's weird that their prince is a bird.