Author Topic: Best First Towns in an RPG

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Best First Towns in an RPG
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 02:03:49 AM »
Earthbound had some interesting towns

Moonside! ...Craziest RPG town I've ever seen.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 02:05:20 AM by FlamingR1ft »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 07:20:14 AM »
^Moonside's cheating, don't cha' know.

Arlia from Star Ocean 2 (in good part to the quaintness and lovely music.

Oh yeah, it's almost sad when you have to leave =(

... and dammit... you make me want to play SO2.
The beginning of any Star Ocean when you start exploring the low tech world so much fun.

Sorry but Tales of Phantasia had a better first town than SO2 did, especially if you consider Crawd's first town really isn't his first town (and that both wind up getting blown up during the course of their respective games).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 10:58:30 AM »
I have to go with Alexandria from FFIX as well. Not only for the design, but because it makes such a wonderful "first town" section of the game. Often times I'll replay the game right until the Evil Forest and be happy to leave it at that.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 11:07:28 AM »
^Moonside's cheating, don't cha' know.

Arlia from Star Ocean 2 (in good part to the quaintness and lovely music.

Oh yeah, it's almost sad when you have to leave =(

... and dammit... you make me want to play SO2.
The beginning of any Star Ocean when you start exploring the low tech world so much fun.

Sorry but Tales of Phantasia had a better first town than SO2 did, especially if you consider Crawd's first town really isn't his first town (and that both wind up getting blown up during the course of their respective games).

Huh? Your idea of a great town is a ghost town where the entire population is dead and buried including your parents and your best friend's sister?
You sick fuck!
(/joking)

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 12:32:14 PM »

Colony 9 from Xenoblade Chronicles. I liked climbing the top of different ledges just to look down to see the panoramic views of the town from the hills. Not to mention the music of day and night of this town.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 12:51:16 PM »
How about Balamb Garden? I mean, you can fly around with it, which is pretty cool.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 01:07:48 PM »

Colony 9 from Xenoblade Chronicles. I liked climbing the top of different ledges just to look down to see the panoramic views of the town from the hills. Not to mention the music of day and night of this town.

This fucking game.  God, I love how you can barely tell/see repeated textures in that shot either.

Even crazier: You can see Col. 9 from the lower area of Colony 6.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 01:12:26 PM »
Does hanging edge from FFXIII count?  It's where the game begins and technically it used to be a city (before Ragnarok destroyed it)   Don't care what you think about the game as a whole, that place is jaw droppingly beautiful and the music is on point.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 03:30:25 PM »
It's not really a town in any conventional sense, just a wall paper for a narrow corridor you run in.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 08:34:32 PM »
Can we not extend this topics to just "cool towns" in general??

But then, wouldn't it be just like any other favorite towns topic?  Oftentimes, the coolest town isn't the home town (like FF8's Esthar or Xenogears' Shevat or Solaris.)  Kinda like how you live in your home town for so long that you think it's the most boring place in the middle of whatever, but when someone visits for the first time they think it's a cool spot.  

The RPG home town is either completely forgotten or razed by fire.  So why not give a little love to the home town like we've been doing.  I know you could argue that the "cool" town is some other character's home town, but that's not your avatar's home town.    

Tales of Destiny is an anomaly in that it doesn't start off in any town, you play for a handful of hours before you visit a town, and you don't visit the protagonist's home town till halfway through the game.

And since I mentioned Gregminster (Suikoden 1) because of the music, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDuDkzGeuno

And though I tend to like more modern or futuristic towns (e.g. Sumaru City in Persona 2 or Amami City in Soul Hackers) Inaba in Persona 4 was an intriguing place.  People who've spent extended time in Japan all say that Inaba is a pretty accurate representation of the inaka (countryside) villages they've visited or homestayed at.  It's not a setting commonly seen in RPGs, so I dug that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:38:41 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 09:05:13 PM »
Does Midgar count as a town?

Maybe not the most pleasant place (or "town"), but I think that complex juggernaut alone is enough to warrant the spilt ink and hollering for an FF7 HD...It would look so beautiful.  I was gonna post the big CG artwork, but I think the overworld version gets little love ---- and still looks just as ominous.

Also I think Cebelrai in Baten Kaitos sets the bar for amazing towns

It's farm country and simple looking, but not pictured is how almost everything in these towns moves: Some branches are rustling, lamps flickering, and clouds (since the game takes place in floating continents) are usually weaving through houses and over roofs.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 09:50:29 PM »
Does hanging edge from FFXIII count?  It's where the game begins and technically it used to be a city (before Ragnarok destroyed it)   Don't care what you think about the game as a whole, that place is jaw droppingly beautiful and the music is on point.

Even by FFXIII's standards, that's no town boy, no town. (The first "town" you play through in FFXIII is Bohdum at the start of Chapter 5 and is both contained in a flashback and consists of a single narrow strip of beach; otherwise Chapter 7? Palomporom is the first "town" you actually reach, of the game's four (the others consist of the Gold Saucer wannabe Nautilus, the ruins on Pulse and Eden; and those are as much "towns" as Sonic 1's Star Light Zone, Marble Zone, and Scrap Brain Zone are)).

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 10:20:56 PM »
It's kinda strange how often the protagonists hometown gets burned or destroyed. It happens in Bartz's hometown FF5, Zanarkand FF10, Norende Bravely Default, Lahan Xenogears, Toltus Tales of Phantasia, Karaya Village Suikoden 3 which was interesting in that it was another protagonist doing the burning and like every Fire Emblem game ever. Sephiroth is so next level he does it to Nibelheim before the game even starts.
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 10:58:15 PM »

This fucking game.  God, I love how you can barely tell/see repeated textures in that shot either.

Even crazier: You can see Col. 9 from the lower area of Colony 6.

Off topic but man is this killing me in Dark Souls 2. Some of the areas are so atmospheric and creepy and ...cool! that you don't notice. However there are a LOT of areas that are generic as all fuck and you can see so many ugly repeating textures. Love the game, but you can tell it was rushed

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 01:24:40 AM »
It's kinda strange how often the protagonists hometown gets burned or destroyed. It happens in Bartz's hometown FF5, Zanarkand FF10, Norende Bravely Default, Lahan Xenogears, Toltus Tales of Phantasia, Karaya Village Suikoden 3 which was interesting in that it was another protagonist doing the burning and like every Fire Emblem game ever. Sephiroth is so next level he does it to Nibelheim before the game even starts.

I think most FE examples tend to involve mere sacking and/or conquest versus the place getting reduced to rubble. FE 4 can have your starting castle destroyed (and in fact almost every castle and village in the game can be destroyed) but of course, letting any home castle go down in flames is an instant gameover. Bonus points for letting Leonster get totaled as that's FE 5's Lord/Prince Lief's homeland. And I suppose that in addition to Leonster, Fianna, FE 5's starting location, also starts off getting immediately sacked. Other than that FE 8 is pretty much the only game that actually has the MCs' homeland actually totaled (more or less).

And on the subject of Extreme Home Makeovers: JRPG Protagonists' Hometown Edition, the planet Parma getting blown up in PS2 is more or less up there. Granted, not for anybody within PSs 2-4, but Alisa must have been rolling in her grave cryo-tube over that one.