Author Topic: The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.
« Reply #210 on: August 18, 2016, 01:19:59 PM »
So... I'm playing Trails of Cold Steel, but I've got to let my Vita charge every ten minutes once in a while. I could use another PC game to use on the side, but I can't decide which one. Anyone want to pick one? Number between 1 and 20, but not 14 because I'm done with Postmortum: One Must Die.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 18, 2016, 03:15:15 PM »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 18, 2016, 03:49:02 PM »
17. That's my final offer.

MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 18, 2016, 04:12:19 PM »
Okay, so first up is This Starry Midnight We Make (19), a "a celestial growth simulation" game from the makers of that organ harvesting game I liked. Apparantly I'll be developing a galaxy using alchemy. Looks it'll play the role of 'in between' game just fine.

After that it's Sins of the Demon's (17) turn, also known as "one of those random RPG Maker games I bought for a quarter because, hey, the reviews weren't bad!" Actually, the Steam reviews were really good in this case. And it has a cute little cat!

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 18, 2016, 04:22:44 PM »
These games sound interesting. :P Can you share your list after you play the number game?

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 18, 2016, 04:41:20 PM »
Most games on the list are rather short (about half of them are just 2-5 hours long, the longest one is a classic JRPG that should take about 20-25 to play through), I might be able to reveal the whole list by just playing the games.

Oh, maybe I should make a Journal topic!

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 26, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »
Now that they can be had for super cheap, I've been picking up some PS3 exclusives that I've missed out on. So far, I've recently snagged Tales of Graces f; God of War 3; and Uncharted 2. I've heard the first Uncharted is 'meh', and that the 3rd tries too hard to be a movie.

So, if I may ask:

1) Which Ratchet and Clank games are the good ones? I've never played any of the games in the series before...

2) I enjoyed the first Infamous. Is the second one (NOT Second Son, but Infamous 2) worth checking out?

3) MGS4 any good? I haven't played any MG games since Sons of Liberty...

4) I seem to recall mixed reception in regards to Ni no Kuni. Is it all style and no substance, or something like that?

5) I already have Tales of Vesperia for the 360, and I never got very far in it. I understand the PS3 version is like an update of it. Is that worth picking up?

6) Any other PS3-only games I must play? I've already played TLoU; GT 4 & 5; LittleBigPlanet Karting; and Jak and Daxter HD.

Many thanks in advance to anyone willing to answer any of these.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 26, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »
1. I'd definitely check out the Future trilogy. I think Quest for Booty is still only available digitally, but honestly the game is incredibly short and if you want to skip it reading a plot summary would suffice.

4. If you're not in it to collect every monster, then it's a decent game if you have the time to sink into it. The story is okay, but drags on forever and makes the game overly long. Combat is a bit wonky with no direct control over your team. The writing and visuals are predictably great, though.

5. Are you buying Japanese games, then? 'Cause if not, please tell us all how to access the alternate universe where this was localized.

6. If you enjoy your time with Uncharted 2, don't let people turn you off of Uncharted 3, it's great fun even in spite of its overuse of set pieces. Also, the Dusk trilogy of Atelier games gets a lot of praise. I've only played the first half of Ayesha, but I can vouch that it's my favorite Atelier game I've played.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 26, 2017, 11:25:53 AM »
^ That's a big whoops on my part. I thought the PS3 version of Vesperia was released overseas. My bad. Ok, so nevermind that one, then.

Thank you for your input, sir! Very much appreciated!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 26, 2017, 06:27:23 PM »
Now that they can be had for super cheap, I've been picking up some PS3 exclusives that I've missed out on. So far, I've recently snagged Tales of Graces f; God of War 3; and Uncharted 2. I've heard the first Uncharted is 'meh', and that the 3rd tries too hard to be a movie.

So, if I may ask:

1) Which Ratchet and Clank games are the good ones? I've never played any of the games in the series before...

2) I enjoyed the first Infamous. Is the second one (NOT Second Son, but Infamous 2) worth checking out?

3) MGS4 any good? I haven't played any MG games since Sons of Liberty...

4) I seem to recall mixed reception in regards to Ni no Kuni. Is it all style and no substance, or something like that?

5) I already have Tales of Vesperia for the 360, and I never got very far in it. I understand the PS3 version is like an update of it. Is that worth picking up?

6) Any other PS3-only games I must play? I've already played TLoU; GT 4 & 5; LittleBigPlanet Karting; and Jak and Daxter HD.

Many thanks in advance to anyone willing to answer any of these.
2. I have not played 1, but I have played 2 and found it enjoyable. It finishes up Cole's plot. I don't think there is anything that is a real downgrade from 1, so I say play it.

3. I'd say go for MGS3 first. MGS4 is enjoyabl..ish, but you will be missing a lot of plot points without playing MGS3 first. Also MGS3 is probably a better game overall than MGS4.

5. Side note on this question, if you have access to a CFW PS3 there is a translation patch available. Have yet to play it though.

6. Let me see here my rec list after looking at my trophy list (not filtering for exclusives as I don't which are exclusive) would be Valkyria Chronicles, Record of Agarest War 2, Asura's Wrath, Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2, L.A. Noire, Tales of Xillia 1 and 2, Atelier Ayesha, Aletier Escha and Logy (my favorite of the Dusk trilogy), Atelier Shallie, Tears to Tiara II, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (I played on PS4, but it has a PS3 release apparently), and all the Kingdom Hearts Remixes. I'll throw in Ar nosurge as well, although I have a feeling most people would not like it as much as me.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #220 on: January 27, 2017, 03:00:29 AM »
MGS4 is kind of like what people joke about the entire MGS series being: a tiny amount of gameplay sandwiched between lengthy, pretentious cutscenes. It's worth a look, but personally it's my least favorite.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 27, 2017, 10:18:05 AM »
Thank you for the response and suggestions, @Ranadiel . Very much appreciated.

I had forgotten about the ToCS series. How good is the first one? I ask because it's currently on sale through PSN for $23, and it appears to be kind of rare and expensive otherwise...

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #222 on: January 27, 2017, 10:19:58 AM »

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 27, 2017, 10:23:17 AM »
this good

As terrible as it sounds, I sometimes forget this site has reviews on it. LOL

EDIT: Don't think I'll go for it. I'm unfortunately way too busy for such slow-paced games these days. Would have warmly welcomed it back in the ol' free time laden teenage years...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 10:28:06 AM by natros »

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #224 on: January 27, 2017, 10:58:34 AM »
yeah, it's not for everyone. i played it over a 5 month period and loved it, but it's quite the time investment. derek's a champ for reviewing it. one to consider during winter doldrums!