Author Topic: The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
  • OK, options aren't SO bad
    • View Profile
Re: The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2014, 08:59:32 AM »
I've been looking at Adventure games and possible digital comic style games. Neal's reviews in particular.
I'm pondering playing The Longest Journey, but have seen some people recommend just skipping it and playing Dreamfall: TLJ. What do you guys think?
I have a very small history with graphic adventure point and click games, and that's because I always get stuck. So, I want a great story with some not too challenging puzzles.
Also, if I were to play my very first digital comic, what should I go for? I see popular ones like Analogue: A Hate Story, and think I should try that, but am just not sure.
Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: The Backyard Parables

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2014, 09:12:23 AM »
I've been looking at Adventure games and possible digital comic style games. Neal's reviews in particular.
I'm pondering playing The Longest Journey, but have seen some people recommend just skipping it and playing Dreamfall: TLJ. What do you guys think?
I have a very small history with graphic adventure point and click games, and that's because I always get stuck. So, I want a great story with some not too challenging puzzles.
Also, if I were to play my very first digital comic, what should I go for? I see popular ones like Analogue: A Hate Story, and think I should try that, but am just not sure.

If you can get your hands on it, I don't see why you would skip TLJ. I can't remember how complicated the puzzles ware, but I don't think it was Discworld level of head scratching.
I'd also recommend Broken Sword, especially the first two. I'm not sure how good the remastered/remade versions are but the originals ware fantastic.
Can't help you with Visual Novels, I don't really play them.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2014, 12:16:16 PM »
Resuscitating this thread to ask if I should play Skies of Arcadia Chronicles (GCN) or Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (PS2) after I finally finish off Lunar 2?  I've owned both for years, but haven't gotten further than a half hour into either.

I tend to like games with a more serious tone and I don't have time to learn a hokey or overly complicated battle system.  The more straight forward, the better.

BoFV is a more unique game part of RPGs in general and the BoF series itself.  It's pretty dark and strange, and will make you work for your ending.

The safer bet is Skies.  It's fantastic from start to finish, but with a pretty high encounter rate and some kinda sludgey graphics by now.
Dice speaks true, Skies is an overall much more approachable game. I am a massive breath of fire fan myself, but I could never really enjoy DQ all that much. I got to a village once and pretty much gave up. Skies...man, I maxed out Vyse's stats entirely, I played it so hard. Nothing like 3 shotting the final boss...good times.

Gonna echo this one. Skies is my favorite GC RPG, if not my favorite 'cube game of all. I've sold off most of my games for that system, but Skies is one of the few I've kept.
It's plenty straightforward, as you would prefer. No weird gimmicks or anything. The ship battles have a bit of a learning curve, but it's well worth it, as they can be some of the most challenging and fun fights of the game. Tip: Upgrade your ship as early and often as possible.
Overall, It's a nice long game with (mostly) interesting characters, and a decent story. As Dice says, the random encounter rate seems high at times, but I never found myself feeling overwhelmed/irritated by it. The on-foot battles can go fairly quickly, and IIRC, the associated animations aren't too lengthy. The graphics are definitely old school, but decent for the time.
Highly recommended.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2014, 02:14:56 PM »
@Max
Idk if mmo's are your thing, but I recently found one for cellphones called Arcane Legends, it's actually pretty decent in operation. Runs smoothly and doesn't have those stupid timers everywhere for attacking or running a dungeon. Reminds me of Champions of Norath for PS2.

TASTY!

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2014, 03:46:58 PM »

I played Dreamfall first, just because I was much younger at the time and couldn't get my hands on a copy of TLJ. You can definitely do it, but you miss out on a lot of the emotional context if you skip the first one. There's one stupid item combination puzzle early on in the first one, but otherwise I don't remember it being too hard. That said, it feels ancient compared to the updated controls and graphics of Dreamfall.

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2014, 04:55:59 PM »

I played Dreamfall first, just because I was much younger at the time and couldn't get my hands on a copy of TLJ. You can definitely do it, but you miss out on a lot of the emotional context if you skip the first one. There's one stupid item combination puzzle early on in the first one, but otherwise I don't remember it being too hard. That said, it feels ancient compared to the updated controls and graphics of Dreamfall.
But is it worth it, story and overall experience wise?

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2014, 12:55:36 AM »
Definitely. TLJ has one of the best protagonists in adventure games and tells a great story. It also makes the emotional impact of certain events in Dreamfall WAY more intense.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2014, 03:44:43 AM »
But is it worth it, story and overall experience wise?

If you skip TLJ you pretty much miss out on the entire origin story of April Ryan. It also introduces you to the worlds the games take place in. I never got very far in Dreamfall (even though I've been meaning to for YEARS) so I'm not sure how much catching up it offers in that regard.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2014, 05:16:05 AM »
It's doable without TLJ, but not advisable if you have the option/like 90s adventure games.

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2014, 08:30:34 AM »
Ok, so I went ahead and bought TLJ off of Steam. I played an hour, and definitely like it so far. Thanks guys!

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2014, 11:39:27 AM »
^ If you want to get even more of an adventure fix, Gog.com has Syberia 1 & 2 on sale this weekend ($3/pop). I've never played either one, but have heard consistently good things.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2014, 10:09:43 PM »
Does anyone know if there's an active platform that I can legally acquire and/or play the old Lufia games, particularly Lufia II?

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2014, 10:40:43 PM »
Does anyone know if there's an active platform that I can legally acquire and/or play the old Lufia games, particularly Lufia II?

SNES or DS

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »

SNES or DS

FTFY. The DS remake is practically an entirely different game. The only similarity is that the DS's plot is basically the highlights reel of Lufia 2.

The first one did make it to the Wii's VC. The problem is that its only the first one.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2014, 05:17:24 PM »

SNES or DS

FTFY. The DS remake is practically an entirely different game. The only similarity is that the DS's plot is basically the highlights reel of Lufia 2.

The first one did make it to the Wii's VC. The problem is that its only the first one.
Gotta admiy, the music in the ds remake is awesome.

TASTY!