Author Topic: The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »
What is WofTL and abbreviations suck :(

This problems happens to me like once a week on any gaming/entertainment forum. x)
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »

This problems happens to me like once a week on any gaming/entertainment forum. x)
Oddly enough that does make me feel less dopey. Thanks.

TASTY!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 03:22:25 PM »
W(ar) of t(he) L(ions)...shouldn't have capitalized the T i guess
Yeah....most of us just call it final fantasy tactics...

Edit: Yeah, I read the reply while at work and missed most of it before I posted. I should have put 2+2 together, my bad.

*Yanks up pants high above waste, puts in pocket protector*

Final Fantasy Tactics usually refers to the PSX title, while War of the Lions refers to the remake (which is different enough from the original that a distinction needs to be made).

*end nerd rant*
Eh....no....FFTactics is the same game, there is no gameplay change aside from huge ass slowdown and 2 new classes and ad hoc multiplayer on psp as well as a lame translation...psx version was far better for hilarity purposes.

Regardless, played both, know pretty much everything about either, trisection is the greatest music in either game and most of the rest of the FF series.

I don't even want to BEGIN to get into how wrong you are.  You can't just gloss over what is basically a complete retelling of a plot by calling it a "lame translation".  The original is still great but playing it feels disjointed and random when compared with the redo.   You seem to put too much stock into gameplay and completely dismiss events and storyline and that's especially a bummer for a game as beautifully written and executed as War of The Lions (yes I'm still going to capitalize the T)

Am I wrong to assume that in your opinion every serious remake of a film is just the same movie as the original and doesn't deserve distinction? because it would seem like that is what you are implying.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:25:48 PM by glassjawsh »

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 04:33:18 PM »
....it's LITERALLY the same game with a shiny coating of ye olde english. No changes, no (story based anyway) new content, and a tacked on multiplayer that, while highly entertaining when you could find a second person with the game, was literally nothing more than fluff on what was an amazing game.

100% completely and totally the same game. Remakes usually change events and characters around. Adding 4 segments of Delita's side story that basically showed you what he would do in the next scene he was in doesn't count for beans. This was a retranslated version of a great game, not a remake.

TASTY!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »
....it's LITERALLY the same game with a shiny coating of ye olde english. No changes, no (story based anyway) new content, and a tacked on multiplayer that, while highly entertaining when you could find a second person with the game, was literally nothing more than fluff on what was an amazing game.

100% completely and totally the same game. Remakes usually change events and characters around. Adding 4 segments of Delita's side story that basically showed you what he would do in the next scene he was in doesn't count for beans. This was a retranslated version of a great game, not a remake.

Right so, in your opinion no one should make any distinction between say...FFX for PS2 and the new HD remaster or something more obscure like...Kenneth Branagh's and Laurence Olivier's versions of Othello because they are 95% the same?  WofTL clears up a lot of the muddled plot from the original.  I spent a lot of the PSX version being about 85% sure of what was going on, and in a narrative epic like FFT it's really really important that you know exactly what's happening.  This made the redo not only great but entirely necessary.  I dunno,  maybe you were too busy nitpicking minor flaws to notice everything the PSP version improved upon? 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:25:29 PM by glassjawsh »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 05:08:22 PM »
They redid the translation? Maybe it'll be worth playing Waru of ze Rions after all. I found the translation in the original so bad that I could barely follow what was going on at times.

I can't play Shining Force because of Shining Force 2.
It's just better in every way.

I never played the second game because I always wanted to finish the first...which I never did. I think I'm motivated to do that now. Thanks!

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 05:54:20 PM »

Once a week?  Try once a day for me...

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 06:12:08 PM »
Ok, how about this.
Alright, try this.
Let's see, why not try this.

Notice how I typed 3 different sentences amd said exactly the same thing each time? Now imagime I said any of those with am english accent?

If you paint a volkswagon beetle black and yellow, it's not a volkswagon bumblebee, it's still a beetle no matter how many coats of paint you give it.

Now that I've seriously sidetracked my own topic, I'm looking for a new 3ds game, preferably rpg, not something zelda or mario related as I have played and beaten them all already. I'd prefer it stay 3ds onry but regular ds games are acceptable alternatives, though the zelda/mario thing also follows suit. Any advice is extremely appreciated as my poor 3ds has seen no use since I destroyed link between worlds ages ago.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:47:13 PM by Agent D. »

TASTY!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 09:31:21 PM »
Ok, how about this.
Alright, try this.
Let's see, why not try this.

Notice how I typed 3 different sentences amd said exactly the same thing each time? Now imagime I said any of those with am english accent?

If you paint a volkswagon beetle black and yellow, it's not a volkswagon bumblebee, it's still a beetle no matter how many coats of paint you give it.

Now that I've seriously sidetracked my own topic, I'm looking for a new 3ds game, preferably rpg, not something zelda or mario related as I have played and beaten them all already. I'd prefer it stay 3ds onry but regular ds games are acceptable alternatives, though the zelda/mario thing also follows suit. Any advice is extremely appreciated as my poor 3ds has seen no use since I destroyed link between worlds ages ago.

While its not out yet, Xenoblade Chronicles should meet your criteria when its released. Especially if you choose to do all 400+ sidequests.

Alternatives would be Dragon Quests IV~VI + IX, Radiant Historia, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon + Awakening, Shin Megami Tensei IV and so on.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 06:29:54 AM »
I can't play xenoblade chronicles on a regular 3ds, you insensitive jerk!

But yeah, the rest of the suggestions minus SMT IV are all games I've played or beaten...guess SMT could be doable, so thanks sir.

TASTY!

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 07:18:07 AM »
Agent, I'd recommend stuff off this list that's 80% or above:

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews-3ds.html

:)

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 08:17:51 AM »

But yeah, the rest of the suggestions minus SMT IV are all games I've played or beaten...guess SMT could be doable, so thanks sir.

Well you did ask for a New 3DS game and unfortunately there aren't too many of those around yet.

That said, you can still play XBC if you have a Wii and can find the game for a reasonable price. In fact, I would recommend it.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 09:13:54 AM »

Well you did ask for a New 3DS game and unfortunately there aren't too many of those around yet.

That said, you can still play XBC if you have a Wii and can find the game for a reasonable price. In fact, I would recommend it.
I meant new 3ds game as in something I haven't played, not something in development.

TASTY!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 09:41:04 AM »
Some ideas:

- Rune Factory 4
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
- And then there's Fantasy Life coming out fairly soon

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 09:47:35 AM »
Some ideas:

- Rune Factory 4
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
- And then there's Fantasy Life coming out fairly soon
Alrighty, cool, I got some options to look into, so I'll check em out and get back to you guys at some point.

TASTY!