Author Topic: The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: The unofficial "recommend me a game" thread.
« Reply #225 on: January 27, 2017, 01:35:23 PM »
3. I'd say go for MGS3 first. MGS4 is enjoyabl..ish, but you will be missing a lot of plot points without playing MGS3 first. Also MGS3 is probably a better game overall than MGS4.

On the subject of rating MGS games, I'd say that for the main Kojima Productions line, the gameplay quality goes in descending order:
Snake Eater
Tactical Espionage Action (aka Solid 1 PSX)
Twin Snakes
Peace Walker
The Phantom Pain
Ground Zeroes
Sons of Liberty
Guns of the Patriots
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 27, 2017, 06:17:50 PM »
this good

As terrible as it sounds, I sometimes forget this site has reviews on it. LOL

EDIT: Don't think I'll go for it. I'm unfortunately way too busy for such slow-paced games these days. Would have warmly welcomed it back in the ol' free time laden teenage years...
Ah that is a shame. They are great games. I'd try to convince you to give them a shot...but I really can't deny they are slow paced overall. Cold Steel 2 feels faster, but I can't really recommend that if you haven't gotten to know the characters through 1. I still think it is worth giving it a shot...with the understanding that it can be slow.

Side note, was looking at the review and saw "some plot threads won't be resolved until the sequel." Lol. Some plot threads from CS1 probably won't be fully resolved till whatever game comes after CS3. I know there are still plot threads from TitS2 that haven't been resolved 5 games later. Would not be surprised if there are some unresolved from TitS 1 that I am forgetting.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2017, 04:56:56 PM »
In regards to Ratchet & Clank, I recommend the original trilogy if you haven't played it before. I'm not that big a fan of the Future games, but I think that might just burn out. I mean, you can't go wrong starting at the new ones, and the gameplay will at least be better than the first game by a wide margin, I just feel like they weren't quite as solidly designed as the older ones, and I did NOT like the direction they went with the story - it just felt melodramatic, whereas the games were at their best when they were light-hearted, IMO. I mean, Up Your Arsenal is a stitch from start to finish, and that's on top of being so damn fun to play. Really brought the whole package together, if you ask me.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 05:01:06 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 07, 2017, 10:24:30 AM »
Need a new side game after my failure to endure the endgame of FFX, but I'm having some trouble settling on something. So here's a few choices and my own thoughts:

FFX-2: The obvious leap, but I have played through the game twice and gotten 100% once, so I'd only be playing it for the International content, which honestly doesn't seem too interesting. But I am in the camp that actually enjoyed the game quite a bit.

Fairy Fencer F ADF: Played about 20% of the game on the PS3, so I know I'll enjoy my time with it for what it's worth.

Trails of Cold Steel 2: Probably the one most people will recommend, but keep in mind this is my side game we're talking about so I probably won't dedicate enough time to it to finish it in any reasonable span of time (although I have no idea when I could make it my main game between Zelda, Persona, and FFXII)

Atelier Rorona: Nothing really to say about this one, I'd just be returning to making my way through the PS3 Atelier games.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 07, 2017, 12:33:05 PM »
Need a new side game after my failure to endure the endgame of FFX, but I'm having some trouble settling on something. So here's a few choices and my own thoughts:

FFX-2: The obvious leap, but I have played through the game twice and gotten 100% once, so I'd only be playing it for the International content, which honestly doesn't seem too interesting. But I am in the camp that actually enjoyed the game quite a bit.

Fairy Fencer F ADF: Played about 20% of the game on the PS3, so I know I'll enjoy my time with it for what it's worth.

Trails of Cold Steel 2: Probably the one most people will recommend, but keep in mind this is my side game we're talking about so I probably won't dedicate enough time to it to finish it in any reasonable span of time (although I have no idea when I could make it my main game between Zelda, Persona, and FFXII)

Atelier Rorona: Nothing really to say about this one, I'd just be returning to making my way through the PS3 Atelier games.
Fairy Fencer F doesn't ever really do much to improve over the game. It was nice cuz I spent a whole 5 bucks on it, but I wouldn't suggest it over Cold Steel 2 or FFX-2. My suggestion is CS2.

TASTY!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 07, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »
Hence the "what it's worth," since I also picked it up ridiculously cheap in case my PS3 shits the bed.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 07, 2017, 09:13:14 PM »
Oh hey, I forgot we had this thread, so I guess I'll ask here:

Does Persona 4 have a lot of school-life, time-limited events that sort of require good time-management skills in order to successful, the way it seemed to be in Persona 3 when I last played it? If so, are they at least not as...constrained, or at least, not actually have any major consequences? Because I got way too stressed out playing Persona 3, especially when I found out how humongous the Tartarus was - 255 floors? At least? Screw that! It took me forever just to get through 10 floors, especially with the fatigue system.

On top of that, I also recall hating the social...whatevers. The parts where you talk to the in-game characters to gain their trust and therefore improve your arcana. I know Persona 4 still has that, but is that ever actually required to get better Persona? Or am I just stressing out over EXP and Stat bonuses? I could handle with missing out on the latter, so long as I can still get the high-ranking stuff.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 07, 2017, 10:43:55 PM »
Persona 4 is not all that different from Persona 3.  The basics of the social link system and the gameplay are unchanged.  There are some improvements--the fatigue system is gone, you can control all party members, and instead of a single giant dungeon, you have a number of smaller ones--but Persona 4 doesn't alter the basic formula.

You're almost certainly not going to get everything in this game on a first playthrough without a guide.  However, as long as you're not actively neglecting your schoolmates / club activities / part-time job / etc., it shouldn't be an issue.

The highest level Personas aren't going to be available if you don't complete the corresponding social links.  You don't need them to finish the game, and fusion will get you pretty far...but the social link system is a major part of this game.  If you don't like social links, what is it you're looking to get out of this game?  If you just like the battle system, you could always try SMT Nocturne, or Digital Devil Saga...

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 07, 2017, 11:50:20 PM »
If you just like the battle system, you could always try SMT Nocturne, or Digital Devil Saga...

That is a question I can't answer. And yes, I already own those other SMT games, but with Persona 5 coming out, I realized that I had never even touched Persona 4, because I hadn;t finished Persona 3...and which I now realize is because I don't like Persona 3 - I mean, I think there's a good game in there, but I just felt like it was too much pressure.

Then again, I went and looked at a whole bunch of my games that I own, and I realize that...I kind of put these weird mental restrictions on myself that aren't exactly healthy. Like, we wouldn't be having this conversation if I had actually played Persona 4, but I refused to let myself try it until I finished Persona 3. But now I don't want to finish Persona 3, so now that just sounds like a silly restriction. I only have...maybe 20 games where I actually need to play one game before the other, but Persona 3 & 4 aren't actually story connected (as far as I know, anyways). The only reason I kept that going was because I didn't want to admit I disliked an SMT game...which is ballocks, considering how few I've played.

I'm an idiot, but thanks for answering my question.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:52:36 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 08, 2017, 06:18:47 AM »
On top of that, I also recall hating the social...whatevers. The parts where you talk to the in-game characters to gain their trust and therefore improve your arcana. I know Persona 4 still has that, but is that ever actually required to get better Persona? Or am I just stressing out over EXP and Stat bonuses? I could handle with missing out on the latter, so long as I can still get the high-ranking stuff.
The only unlock you get via the social links in terms of Persona is the single highest Persona of the corresponding arcana. And it should be noted that there are at least 3 Arcana which will max out just via story events.

I only have...maybe 20 games where I actually need to play one game before the other, but Persona 3 & 4 aren't actually story connected (as far as I know, anyways).
Persona 3 and Persona 4 take place in the same universe (and Persona 1 and Persona 2 EP also take place in it). However I believe Persona 3 is only obliquely referenced to with no story points depending on the events of Persona 3.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 08, 2017, 06:42:30 AM »
Thank you, I guess that means I can rest easier. Really, in retrospect, I don't hate the Social Links, I just don't like that I don't seem to get second chances the way I could with demon negotiation...so long as failure doesn't impede progress, I don't think I have to stress out about how I respond to things. So, I guess I'm free to try Persona 4 whenever I want. I'm still not 100% on the school-life stuff, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...

I Draw Stuff Sometimes