Author Topic: The Legend of Legacy

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Legacy
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2016, 06:59:31 PM »
Final Fantasy III

One of these is not like the others. One of these doesn't belong.

Also, imagine that I GIS'd a bunch of random pics from various games from each console ever made and see if you can spot the similarities.

The counterpoint I'd be making above if I had the time to burn or gave half a fuck, is that stylistic similarities between different games on the same console happens due to a combination of console limitations, asset reuse and not reinventing the entire wheel every time you make a game.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2016, 10:20:26 AM »
Final Fantasy III

One of these is not like the others. One of these doesn't belong.

Also, imagine that I GIS'd a bunch of random pics from various games from each console ever made and see if you can spot the similarities.

The counterpoint I'd be making above if I had the time to burn or gave half a fuck, is that stylistic similarities between different games on the same console happens due to a combination of console limitations, asset reuse and not reinventing the entire wheel every time you make a game.

INVALID ARGUMENT ALERT.
While SNES era RPGs all used pixel sprites because that's all they could realistically do, the 3DS is a system with games that have character models that look like this:

So "limitations of the hardware" is a pretty bad excuse for lazy design.  But you're right about the "asset reuse" part, since it looks like they're essentially just using a character creator to design these characters.

Either way, it's not that big of a deal as long as the games are good (and by and large, they are).  It just gets a little tiring seeing the same lazy design over and over.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2016, 10:45:14 AM »
I've often wondered if these types of designs are part of a cynical move to make consumers receptive to their inevitable $40 Nendoroid tie-in figures

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2016, 07:06:52 AM »
In Arvis's examples, Pokemon Y looks the absolute best.  The others look either choppy or fetal, but Pokemon girl looks the smoothest, graphically. 

As for Furyu's other offerings, I hope Alliance Alive improves upon Legend of Legacy.  The game had potential, but squandered it.  I'm more curious about Caligula since, stylistically, it's more my thing but I too am worried about it being a case of "has potential, squanders it." 

I remember this game Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner for PSP.  I was interested in that game because Cozy Okada was behind it and I loved his work in early Megami Tensei games.  Monster Kingdom was a terrible game, despite having Okada and a supergroup of composers behind it, that game was dreadfully dull.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2016, 08:00:56 AM »
Yeah, Monster Kingdom was a waste. Baffled at how Okada, with his backcatalog, could only come up with the most prosaic fantasy rpg.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2017, 09:20:45 AM »
http://gematsu.com/2017/03/alliance-alive-battle-system-gameplay-latest-details

The latest on Discount SaGa 2. Looks like some plot details are coming back from Discount SaGa 1 (all two of them).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.