Author Topic: The Legend of Legacy

neogalahad

• View Profile
    • Portfolio - blog
Re: The Legend of Legacy
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2015, 11:25:36 AM »
And I love that the developer is bucking the trend and saying "no DLC, the game will be 100% complete right out of the box."  You don't see that very often these days. I like the idea of the game being the full monty right out of the box.

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2015/2483.html

I concur,  the idea of leaving code in the game with the intent to charge for its access at another date is ludicrous.  What I really like from dlc is if it's planned and developed after the game is released because they built a complete game first then made extra content afterward.

Ayreos

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2015, 04:30:47 PM »
As usual, if the game sells well in Japan, it will be ported over. That said, it looks pretty bad to me. That team sounds like a group of SE leftovers trying to ride the Bravely Default deranged bandwagon, with uninspired graphics(1999's Threads of Fate still looks better), characters (generic chibis) and plot(that writer...). "Avalon", really? Is there really nothing more creative than what is virtually the dictionary term for "Mystical Island"? That said, again, we can't really tell much from a few trailers. I'm just conveying my impressions. That said, for the final time, i expect nothing from these guys, other than a good OST to add to my collection.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2015, 05:04:45 PM »
It seems to have sold okay so far, sales-wise. I don't usually put much stock in Famitsu, but it scored okay there. 8's and 9's. I want to get excited to see what new gameplay features they come up with, but that pop-up environment still bugs the hell out of me, I can't even watch the trailers.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2015, 02:55:02 AM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/30/mission-accomplished-the-legend-of-legacy-sold-to-saga-fans/

It did really well for its first week, all things considered. If it can keep up the momentum, then yes, it will have sold well.

As usual, if the game sells well in Japan, it will be ported over. That said, it looks pretty bad to me. That team sounds like a group of SE leftovers trying to ride the Bravely Default deranged bandwagon, with uninspired graphics(1999's Threads of Fate still looks better), characters (generic chibis) and plot(that writer...). "Avalon", really? Is there really nothing more creative than what is virtually the dictionary term for "Mystical Island"? That said, again, we can't really tell much from a few trailers. I'm just conveying my impressions. That said, for the final time, i expect nothing from these guys, other than a good OST to add to my collection.

Honestly, I'd much rather have a game from 'SE leftovers' over a game from SE these days. Although, granted Squeenix has begun turning it around with FFXIV mk2 and the way they've been treating FFXV recently, they still have a long ways to go to convince me that they've made their rebound. Besides, Bravely Default was on the right track, it just fumbled the ball hard during the second half. With a new writer (and a new composer for good or ill), Bravely Second might just be able to fix the most glaring issues with BD. As for graphics, most RPGs on the 3DS look like that. Even Atelier Rorona had to downgrade to chibli models to cope with the 3DS's lack of horsepower. Besides, if the DS taught me anything, its that the best games tended to have the worst looks; not that this looks too bad. As for the terminology, most RPGs either borrow liberally from mythology or sends you to its datalog for some kind of explanation as to what the fuck everyone is saying (and even then, it usually just amounts to simply borrowing from some of the more obscure myths and legends).

That said, I'm not the best defender of this game's plot or writing or whatever since I haven't played it yet, and I'm going to hold off on scouring the Internet until I can play it.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2015, 01:34:49 PM »
It seems to have sold okay so far, sales-wise. I don't usually put much stock in Famitsu, but it scored okay there. 8's and 9's. I want to get excited to see what new gameplay features they come up with, but that pop-up environment still bugs the hell out of me, I can't even watch the trailers.

I'm more shocked how many people actually like the pop-in.  I too found it very distracting.

I agree with Ayreos; I really don't think this game would have existed or looked the way it does if Bravely Default didn't do it first.  That said, I have no problem with that provided the game is good.... but SaGa-style is really hit or miss with me to begin with.  Nevertheless, if it saw Stateside release and didn't get a bomb dropped on it by critics, I'd probably buy it.  3DS games don't have that PS3/4/Bone pricetag and are pretty good with grabbing my attentions.  And yeah, I agree with Aeolus (as usual) in that even if it is a sort of 'mirage' of BravelyD, then I guess it can't be that bad a thing; and SquareEnix has a long-ass way to go before I think "they're back" in any capacity.... but hell, if Disney could get out of the slog of shit they were in (hitting brand new lows with 'Home on the Range' and 'Chicken Little' then coming back and out of it with Tangled and Frozen), I'm sure a few good/better decisions will redeem Square Enix.....  it'd certainly be nice to see a remake/remaster of a PSX FF title, but, nah, with 'treasures' like FF6 iOS kicking around....
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 05:53:52 PM »
As usual, if the game sells well in Japan, it will be ported over.

That's what I was thinking about Dragon Quest 7! Still no word.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2015, 09:25:42 PM »
http://gematsu.com/2015/05/atlus-probably-localizing-legend-legacy

So a brain fart may have led to the second best piece of gaming news I've heard all week.

This might even absolve some of the grievances I've had with some of Atlus' past localization choices.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2015, 09:36:11 PM »
Sounds more like he meant to say Stella Glow and got the words confused. I mean, I would rather they localized legend of Legacy, but I have a feeling that slip might just lead to some disappointment...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2015, 11:16:35 PM »
Sounds more like he meant to say Stella Glow and got the words confused. I mean, I would rather they localized legend of Legacy, but I have a feeling that slip might just lead to some disappointment...

True dat. But its also not impossible for the slip up to have been caused by getting the two mixed up (its not even that much of a stretch either since both are relatively new IPs and neither name really visualizes what the game is actually about; though less so Stella Glow as that's basically a Luminous Arc game in disguise, probably due to Marvelous taking over the LA IP, and it even features a similar naming scheme to its predecessor).

Additionally, from what I've been hearing, LoL isn't exactly a text heavy game. And between that, the fact that its a niche JRPG and the oldschool appeal that the game's bringing to the table, its not that far-fetched of a localization choice (especially for Atlus, who made their name in the West in(, well now, small) part due to their obscure, left-field localizations).

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2015, 04:26:21 PM »
More details came out today about the US localization by Atlus for those interested:
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/11/the-legend-of-legacy-coming-to-the-americas-this-fall-rebalanced-by-fan-feedback/

Aeolus

• View Profile

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2015, 05:29:19 PM »
Atlus’ version of The Legend of Legacy will have tweaks from the original Japanese release. Gameplay adjustments were made based on user feedback. Details about these changes will be announced later on.

If this means the option for less pop-in, I'll be on this like a fly on a sundae. :B

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2015, 05:33:27 PM »
Good stuff.  

And, again, what I like about this is the developer's stance of "no DLC, this game will be 100% complete right out of the box."  Full burger, yeah!  

This meme says it all: http://i.imgur.com/Dzmg7Xk.jpg
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2015, 12:18:36 AM »
Atlus’ version of The Legend of Legacy will have tweaks from the original Japanese release. Gameplay adjustments were made based on user feedback. Details about these changes will be announced later on.

If this means the option for less pop-in, I'll be on this like a fly on a sundae. :B

Likewise. :S

But that's pretty awesome they're going through the extra motions in bringing it here.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!