Author Topic: The Legend of Legacy

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: The Legend of Legacy
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2016, 05:12:52 PM »
Let's hope FurYu's next offering, Caligula, fares better.  Skeptical speculation makes a lot of us think "bargain bin Persona" but it does have P1 and P2's scenario writer, so hopefully it's good.
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
  • RPGFan's Resident Dirtbag
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2016, 05:18:26 PM »
I *really* like the concept of Caligula's plot, but FuRyu have a bad track record of hiring beloved writers and RPG veterans and doing nothing with them. Unchained Blades had ex-Lunar staff, Legacy had Masato Kato for goodness' sake. I hope the third time's the charm and they make something wonderful with Satomi Tadashi, but you can understand why I'd be skeptical.
how's my posting? call 1-800-pee-pee-poo-poo

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2016, 11:12:41 PM »
Hey man, I thought Unchained Blades was pretty great. I mean, I guess it's no Lunar, but it still gives off a lot more charm and creativity than a lot of other dungeon crawlers.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2016, 12:12:07 AM »
That kind of sounds all right though... being in the vicinity of Saga doesn't sound too bad.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2016, 03:09:56 AM »
Hey man, I thought Unchained Blades was pretty great. I mean, I guess it's no Lunar, but it still gives off a lot more charm and creativity than a lot of other dungeon crawlers.

I thought it was OK but couldn't really see the influences of its pedigree. I hated that button mashing minigame though.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2016, 03:47:27 AM »

I thought it was OK but couldn't really see the influences of its pedigree. I hated that button mashing minigame though.

Ah. I thought it was nice way to mix things up, at least. I guess expectations play a part here, too. I bought it on a whim because it was the first new RPG for the 3DS, and all I knew going in was that it was a dungeon crawler from a new studio, with 7+ artists doing the character illustrations. I had never heard about it having any former Lunar devs on board until now, so I was just impressed that it wasn't just yet another generic Wizardry clone that I saw a lot of around the time it came out (it wasn't even the first dungeon crawler on the 3DS, though the other one didn't make it across the pond).

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2016, 06:04:06 PM »
http://gematsu.com/2016/10/furyu-announces-alliance-alive-3ds

Looks like FuRyu's not-SaGa is getting a sequel/follow-up (now with plot (if the article is to be believed)).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2016, 06:16:15 PM »
Aside from character art, they appear completely different. Siliconera jumping the gun?

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2016, 07:57:07 PM »
Aside from character art, they appear completely different. Siliconera jumping the gun?

From what I managed to spot in the screenshots on the shoddy scan, it actually doesn't (unless you mean having an involved plot and a navigable world map as completely different, in which I concur).

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2016, 04:03:50 AM »
Ah, well. Looks a little tenuous at the moment but I guess the breadth of the Japanese text might make it more apparent.

I wonder what 90s big name they'll attach to this project?

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »
Ah, well. Looks a little tenuous at the moment but I guess the breadth of the Japanese text might make it more apparent.

I wonder what 90s big name they'll attach to this project?

http://gematsu.com/2016/10/alliance-alive-new-classic-rpg-developed-studio-behind-legend-legacy

The Suikoden guy apparently...I didn't even know he was still doing this kind of thing. And of course they got Hamauzu back for the soundtrack (hopefully he'll do more than two pieces this time).

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2016, 10:34:27 PM »
I'll be willing to give this a shot if there actually is a story this time. I enjoyed the first hour of LoL, but after that, the game left me ice cold.

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2016, 10:48:28 PM »
Playing a game just for its story, to me, is like reading Playboy just for the articles.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2016, 01:30:29 AM »
Yeah, except RPGs are usually pretty heavy on story, and like I said, the first hour of LoL is pretty interesting. Each character is their for their own reason, the island itself is mysterious, and then... nothing. Party members barely speak to each other. You really only get the story of whoever you're playing as, and that's only at the beginning and ending. Any party member you don't currently have on the team is basically nonexistent. You never get any real backstory except for some vague messages from the singing stones. There's not many areas, the music's not really memorable, and the battle system isn't that interesting. The way leveling worked just made grinding a tedious slog.

Saw the game's premise, thought the pop-up style looked interesting, played the demo, bought the game expecting the actual story to be in the full release, didn't really get what I expected. Of course I don't play things just for the story, but come on.

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2016, 02:38:25 AM »
Fortunately Playboy's articles were the best part of the magazine; it's where Robert Anton Wilson got his start, and provided a platform to numerous science fiction authors like JG Ballard, Margaret Atwood, Philip K Dick and Harlan Ellison. ;)