Author Topic: The Legend of Legacy

Giga_Force

• SEGA Forever
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: The Legend of Legacy
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2015, 06:59:05 AM »
I'm glad that this was finally announced! The soundtrack, like I imagined, is absolutely amazing!
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

PSN: Kenshin_EvoX

Currently Playing:

Waiting On: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2015, 05:53:59 PM »
I interpreted the whole "rebalancing" thing as merely rebalancing the difficulty.  Because wasn't the game's difficulty said to be insanely cheap and grindy in its current form?  I believe the pop-in will still be there, owing to the limitations of the technology (like how some Playstation games had short draw-in distances as a compromise for detailed graphics).  Though I like how it's stylishly done, like a pop-up book. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2015, 08:42:18 PM »
Does anyone know if there are points of no return in this game akin to the SaGa Frontier games? If not, I might look into this, since I did like the WonderSwan Color version of the first SaGa and the DS remake of the second.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2015, 08:00:16 PM »
I'm really looking forward to the demo coming out on Sept. 22nd (Link for those who missed it). Like, I was ready to download that shiz yesterday, I was so anxious to see if maybe it'd be fn enough that I might be able to overlook/get used to the pop-in visual gimmick, which might even be easier in an actual gameplay session rather than just a 5 minute video.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2015, 10:26:52 PM »
The demo is a day 1 download for me.  I definitely want to give this one a trial.  It's kinda interesting that this and Celestian Tales: Old North are both wearing the SaGa influence on their sleeves.  I remember when RPGs were trying to be the next Final Fantasy or Final Fantasy killers, but those games are going SaGa.
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
  • RPGFan's Resident Dirtbag
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2015, 02:50:13 AM »
Does anyone know if there are points of no return in this game akin to the SaGa Frontier games? If not, I might look into this, since I did like the WonderSwan Color version of the first SaGa and the DS remake of the second.

Can't vouch for LoL (lol), but IIRC wasn't SaGa Frontier pretty generous about telegraphing its points of no return? It's been a long time since I played but I seem to remember always knowing when the world was about to close off.
how's my posting? call 1-800-pee-pee-poo-poo

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2015, 09:13:24 AM »
The demo is a day 1 download for me.  I definitely want to give this one a trial.  It's kinda interesting that this and Celestian Tales: Old North are both wearing the SaGa influence on their sleeves.  I remember when RPGs were trying to be the next Final Fantasy or Final Fantasy killers, but those games are going SaGa.

Is Celestian Tales any good, though?

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2015, 11:51:02 AM »
I've only played the Celestian Tales demo and I liked it- lovely visuals, pleasing music, solid traditional gameplay.  I haven't played the full version of part 1 yet and I'm debating on whether I should get part 1 now or save up for the bundle once all three parts are up for grabs.  Reviews, mostly from consumers, have been generally positive, as far as I can see, except for feeling like part 1 ends abruptly. 

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2015, 12:15:31 PM »
Getting really sick of the super-deformed-no-feet character models this gen.

That said, this game looks awesome.

/copypasta
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2015, 12:59:37 PM »
I've only played the Celestian Tales demo and I liked it- lovely visuals, pleasing music, solid traditional gameplay.  I haven't played the full version of part 1 yet and I'm debating on whether I should get part 1 now or save up for the bundle once all three parts are up for grabs.  Reviews, mostly from consumers, have been generally positive, as far as I can see, except for feeling like part 1 ends abruptly. 

D-demo?!...oh, you mean the prototype they have on their website? Okay.

Also, I personally find Celestian Tales' art not so great. Especially the portraits - something about the faces seems extremely off-putting to me...

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2015, 05:30:31 PM »

D-demo?!...oh, you mean the prototype they have on their website? Okay.

Also, I personally find Celestian Tales' art not so great. Especially the portraits - something about the faces seems extremely off-putting to me...

I think it's their noses.  Otherwise it looks fine to me?? 

The graphics look like they were almost lifted right out of Ragnarok Online too; from colour palette to the general style.  That's something that's been bugging me a while
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 06:22:27 PM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Towns Car Marty

• i'm sorry in advance
  • RPGFan's Resident Dirtbag
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2015, 05:52:41 PM »
I think my problem with Celestian Tales' art is just how much the backgrounds clash with the characters. Ouch. But it's not like I could do better; I know how hard pixel art is.

On the topic of SaGa-alikes, anybody enjoy Metal Max and its Atlus-published spiritual successor Metal Saga? They were a bit rough around the edges, but there were some solid ideas presented in those games.

I've been meaning to dig into Oriental Blue, the SaGa-alike put out by the Tengai Makyou team on GBA, but I haven't found the time yet.
how's my posting? call 1-800-pee-pee-poo-poo

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2015, 06:32:03 PM »
I think my problem with Celestian Tales' art is just how much the backgrounds clash with the characters. Ouch. But it's not like I could do better; I know how hard pixel art is.

The art style just kinda generally clashes.  This is a first effort, so naturally it might be a bit rough. I can't really judge the art/sprite combo because a lot of old school games did this. 

I think it's the sort of dubious mix of the three: The backgrounds are a little muddy (they don't look...terribly professional, might have been better to stick with pixels on that, I mean what is actually happening with the grass here?) some peculiar sprites (that are tossed between a good effort and looking...too much like RO), and the portrait art (being probably the best of the three still is just a LITTLE awkward but not nearly as bad as some games have also put out, hell even Valkyrie Profile slipped up on a few portraits).

EDIT: obviously it should be said a game isn't ALL about it's graphics, and I'm sure it's a fine title
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 07:59:49 PM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2015, 07:56:34 AM »

The art style just kinda generally clashes.  This is a first effort, so naturally it might be a bit rough. I can't really judge the art/sprite combo because a lot of old school games did this. 

I think it's the sort of dubious mix of the three: The backgrounds are a little muddy (they don't look...terribly professional, might have been better to stick with pixels on that, I mean what is actually happening with the grass here?) some peculiar sprites (that are tossed between a good effort and looking...too much like RO), and the portrait art (being probably the best of the three still is just a LITTLE awkward but not nearly as bad as some games have also put out, hell even Valkyrie Profile slipped up on a few portraits).

EDIT: obviously it should be said a game isn't ALL about it's graphics, and I'm sure it's a fine title

Yeah, you nailed all 3 of the problems Ii had with the graphics. And yes, it's the noses, they don't look quite right. Still, if it plays well,  I might forgive it...but I've only ever once found a game with bad art that was actually enjoyable for me, and that was just yesterday when I played some weird German-made visual novel...

On the topic of SaGa-alikes, anybody enjoy Metal Max and its Atlus-published spiritual successor Metal Saga? They were a bit rough around the edges, but there were some solid ideas presented in those games.

I've been meaning to dig into Oriental Blue, the SaGa-alike put out by the Tengai Makyou team on GBA, but I haven't found the time yet.

I love what I've played of the first and third Metal Max games, as well as Metal Saga. I never thought to compare it to SaGa, though. And I do have Oriental Blue, but I haven't played it yet. I didn't even know it was supposed to be anything like SaGa. It was cheap so I bought it blind on a whim. =P
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:02:57 AM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2015, 08:17:39 AM »
Yeah, you nailed all 3 of the problems Ii had with the graphics. And yes, it's the noses, they don't look quite right. Still, if it plays well,  I might forgive it...but I've only ever once found a game with bad art that was actually enjoyable for me, and that was just yesterday when I played some weird German-made visual novel...

Oh well. I wonder if it would be worth playing all the English-translated SaGa games in order before it comes out over here? If it ever comes out over here, I mean....

I would highly recommend not doing this if only to avoid having to spend the better part of a day trying to learn how to actually play Unlimited SaGa. Plus that's still SaGa Legends 1-3 (I guess you could skip SaGa Legend 3 since its not really a SaGa game), Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song, SaGa Frontiers 1 & 2 (alternatively RS:MS could come afterwards given its western release date), and The Last Remnant (PC version only, the 360 port is garbage), so its not as quick to burn through as other game series.

Quote from: Towns Car Marty on September 16, 2015, 05:52:41 PM

I love what I've played of the first and third Metal Max games, as well as Metal Saga. I never thought to compare it to SaGa, though. And I do have Oriental Blue, but I haven't played it yet. I didn't even know it was supposed to be anything like SaGa. It was cheap so I bought it blind on a whim. =P

My problem with Metal Max games is the continuously complete refusal by anyone to actually bother localizing/releasing these games outside of Japan.

Same thing with Tengai Makyou.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.