Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 09:44:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327183 Posts in 13393 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  HDTV and PS3: A lot of questions.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HDTV and PS3: A lot of questions.  (Read 1221 times)
BebopZero

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2006, 05:08:46 AM »

Ok, so after a few months of just plain saving, I'm finally ready to enter the next gen. I have enough to get myself a $800-$1000 range HDTV, a PS3, controllers, 2 games, and some nice speakers. But, the oly problem is the TV. I know close to nothing about HDTVs, so I have a few questions about HDTVs:

1-I'm getting a new TV mainly for games. Sure, I'll play some movies in it too, but that's not the main reason for it. I heard that 1080p sets are mainly for movies, and 720p is better for games. Can someone just give me a run down on the resolutions, and which one would best suited for gaming? Like, if I get a TV, how do I know what it supports? I never see a list, just a resolution of ####x####, and I have no idea what that means.

2-Downscaling? Upscaling? Can someone explain what that means and when does a TV set do that, and for what?

3-What inputs does it have, and what cables should I get for the PS3? HDMI? Or is HDMI just for 1080p?

4-If I want to play an old PS1 game on a HDTV, what happens? Does it get stretched? Does it even change? I play a lot of 2d fighting games as well that are from PS1 all the way to the Xbox, so I hope that it doesn't have problems running old, n0n-HD games.

5-What kind woiuld be best suited for what I want it for? Plasma? LCD? Are there those big tube TVs that are HD?

As all of you can see, I'm a real noob at this, and have been using this same TV for ages now. I know there are probably a dozen sites explaining this, but I'd really appreciate it if someone took the time to answer these in a way even I can understand.

Now I have just a few small PS3 questions, for those who have one, or are certain about the answer:

1-How does it look on a regular TV and what cables does it come with? HDMI, composite, whatever.

2-On the PS2, there was an option to turn on some texture filter thing that blurred the textures for the PS1 games, and this helped some games like Vagrant Story or Final Fantasy IX look a little better. Can the PS3 do this as well?

Well, I hope I don't get bashed too badly for this, but with all the searching I did, I never really got the answers I wanted. There's no need to answer these in the numbered order if you can give a summary that covers all the questions.

Thanks for any of you that can give me helpful replies.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 05:44:12 AM »

I'll get some questions addressed at least. Note I don't have an HDTV myself yet, but I've been looking into it and would like to get one in the near future for the X360/Wii and the PS3 later on down the road.

1. 720p is better for games simply because it's supported more. All X360 titles support this (though I'm hearing it'll upscale the games to 1080p now, but better to take no chances I think), and it seems like all PS3 titles will support it, with 1080p being a maybe. Also, the resolutions are 480i (SDTV. basically every NTSC TV made before HDTVs), 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. i stands for Interlaced, and p stands for Progressive. Interlaced basically means it does half the picture with every other line, while progressive means it's rendered all at once: I'd google up pictures or gifs showing the difference, and hit wikipedia to find a detailed explaination on the differences.

By the way, PS3 = Support up to 1080p natively, will support 720p, but downscale 720p games to 480p on a 1080i display, X360 = support 720p natively, will upscale to 1080i/p, and Wii = Support 480p, may have games with 480i (like Raving Rabbids I hear).

2. Downscaling/Upscaling basically means that a picture of a different resolution has it's resolution changed, whether by the internal TV hardware or the systems themselves, to match a specific resolution, basically whatever the TV's actual resolution is. Obviously, downscaling means the resolution is lowered, and upscaling is vice versa.

3. Component and HDMI are the ones to look for for HD gaming. For some stupid ass reason Sony, for all their pushing the HD era, threw composite cables with their system: However, it still uses the same output as the PS1/2, so get PS2 component cables and you should be fine. Or look for cheap HDMI cables online with Froogle, MySimon, or eBay. Only the PS3 has HDMI output, the X360 and Wii only have component, though the X360 may have a hardware revision with HDMI in the future, but so far that's just rumored.

4. I'm hearing that, despite what was said before, the PS3 will upscale the resolution of PS1 games, or just do something with the image so that they will look great on an HDTV, unlike on a PS2 with the same connections.

This is something you /will/ in all probability want to thoroughly research, and not take just one person's word on. HDTVs, when upscaling something like 480i, will have lag as the image is processed. It's a few milliseconds, and likely won't matter if you're just watching something or playing a game that doesn't depend on reflexes. But this lag is enough that it can royally fuck you over for anything that requires split second timing, like Guitar Hero or fighting games. I believe GH2 has a lag option, so that you'll be covered if playing on an HDTV, but obviously the vast majority of old fighters. Maybe it won't matter for you, but if you're that serious I would at least seriously look into it, and worse comes to worse keep around your current TV for playing the fighters on.

5. I hear that plasmas eat up a lot more energy, and will slowly burn out over time, and you're pretty much screwed when it comes to fixing them. They also only come in large models, while LCDs come in smaller sizes. You will still get huge LCDs though, and I believe the gap in size is closing between them. And if you mean CRTs with the big tube TVs... Yes, there are. But they only support 1080i and 480/540p from what I understand... And while this would be fine for the X360, the PS3 will just go 'wtf' if the game can't support it and downscale to 480p. So for the PS3, I'd forget about them.

I hope that helps, and check these forums too.
BebopZero

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 10:58:32 AM »

Ah, thank you so much. Yes, I did mean CRT, the name escaped me. What I'm looking for now is a 720p LCD TV at about 30" then. And sorry for not posting this on the right place.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 08:44:07 AM »

Quote from: "BebopZero"
Ah, thank you so much. Yes, I did mean CRT, the name escaped me. What I'm looking for now is a 720p LCD TV at about 30" then. And sorry for not posting this on the right place.

Go to Wal-Mart and buy yourself a 32 inch LCD TV. It will probably only cost you about 500-700.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: