And I know that because I'm playing Dido in Civ 5 as we speak. :P

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: Reviews are sometimes inaccurate
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 07:48:36 PM »
We treasure Neal (Dincrest) because he's brave enough to go down the gaming roads many shy away from.  He knows that he can find hidden treasure there, and that he's hardcore enough to survive the garbage he's got to wade through to get to it.

One more Tears to Tiara II note - I bet about 0.1% of people will pick up on this, but the main characters are named for historical figures (and gods and places) from Carthage, a kingdom who fought against Rome.  The guys most famous for Hannibal and the elephants crossing the Alps.  I only know because I listen to a history podcast that happens to coincidentally be talking about Carthage now.  (That is, not because I'm some smarty pants history guy.)

Dan Carlin?

Damacon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2014, 07:57:36 PM »
Thats cool I knew I heard the name Astarte before as I am really into old gods lore so it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the other names were around that era. Natural Doctrine also had a whole bunch of old Russian names and many other old names from various areas around there.It would be hard to pick a top 5 this years so far as I felt everything has been lacking in one area or another. I could probably only pick Trails in the Sky for pc and you can't even really say that is from this year lol.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 01:25:35 AM »
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 04:05:30 PM »
We treasure Neal (Dincrest) because he's brave enough to go down the gaming roads many shy away from.  He knows that he can find hidden treasure there, and that he's hardcore enough to survive the garbage he's got to wade through to get to it.

One more Tears to Tiara II note - I bet about 0.1% of people will pick up on this, but the main characters are named for historical figures (and gods and places) from Carthage, a kingdom who fought against Rome.  The guys most famous for Hannibal and the elephants crossing the Alps.  I only know because I listen to a history podcast that happens to coincidentally be talking about Carthage now.  (That is, not because I'm some smarty pants history guy.)

Not a single copy of Tears to Tiara II have I seen yet on a shelf since release. Rarity is one thing, but that game is damn near hidden. 
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Damacon

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 04:16:10 PM »
It is on the PSN store but I guess there is a reason you want a physical copy which is  probably going to be hard to find. Was looking at gamefly site because sometimes you can get rare physical copies there and this review for the game is classic  had to share lol.

This is the review below-

The game looks like an early ps 2 all Japanese talking with enghlish sud tiles play like ps 1 and that not all its 80 hrs + with no enghlish at all and story is like what you would find in a little kiddie book

I am probably not one to talk but this dude should probably stick with the kiddie books.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:26:54 PM by Damacon »

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 07:46:20 PM »
Haha - well, the story definitely starts out weird and hard to follow.  But it gets a lot better if you can survive those first few hours.  Guess that guy didn't.

Klyde, I was surprised to see a copy on a shelf at a Gamestop near me yesterday.  I'm guessing they didn't put many out there, though.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Damacon

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2014, 07:37:56 AM »
Ya its far from a kiddy story considering I don't know many kid books that say "die you traitorous whore" unless there was a "Winnie the Traitorous Whore" book I missed somewhere. It does start out weird with all the flipping from the past to the future to other places but in the process it builds  a strong foundation of the story.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2014, 11:42:01 AM »
I think there was a "The Berenstain Bears Meet a Traitorous Whore..." but I could be remembering wrong.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Damacon

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2014, 01:45:15 PM »
I guess its part of the old saying  "As long as their are bears trying to be human traitorous whores will corrupt them because part of being human is being traitorous whore" quote Goldie Lox

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2014, 12:52:49 AM »
My problem typically isn't with scores, but rather the actual review content, with reviewers sometimes downplaying serious problems such as Demon's Souls completely inability to pause, or exaggerating trivial flaws. Furthermore, if reviewers like games I dislike and dislike games I enjoyed, then I cannot take them seriously as reviewers. I guess a problem with mainstream reviews is that each reflects one person's opinion. What I would like to see is reviews written by multiple persons, by at least one person who liked a game and one who disliked a game.

Damacon

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2014, 10:06:18 AM »

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2014, 10:54:36 AM »
Haha - that's so true, Damacon.  You know, my reviews mostly consist of an opening paragraph and a closing paragraph (just in case someone glances at them), joined by standard filler like "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua." ;)

My problem typically isn't with scores, but rather the actual review content, with reviewers sometimes downplaying serious problems such as Demon's Souls completely inability to pause, or exaggerating trivial flaws. Furthermore, if reviewers like games I dislike and dislike games I enjoyed, then I cannot take them seriously as reviewers. I guess a problem with mainstream reviews is that each reflects one person's opinion. What I would like to see is reviews written by multiple persons, by at least one person who liked a game and one who disliked a game.

Thing is, although not being able to pause Demon's Souls (or Destiny) is a bummer, it's intrinsic to the nature of a game that's designed to played online, with the ability for players to jump in and out at any time.  So a reviewer would be right to mention it, but in my opinion, it'd be wrong of them to criticize the game for that.  If you want a game that can pause, you shouldn't play that game, and that's all there is to it, because that is a feature that's mandated by the entire premise of the gameplay.

As far as reviews by multiple people, I don't think any reviewing group, be they us or GameSpot, has the time or money to have every game reviewed by multiple people.  That said, on high profile or divisive games, I do like the "second opinion" stuff I've seen in Game Informer, or our own multiple reviews on a few titles.  In our case, that only happens on rare occasions, but when it happens, it's because the second person felt strongly that they had something important to say.  Of course, I know that we're not necessarily considered "mainstream," and I think the staff would all agree that's a good thing.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Damacon

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2014, 11:04:55 AM »
I thought it summed it all up nice lol, but you guys do write some informative reviews that actually give information about the game so don't take that link as a insult because he said to ignore the review. I just thought it was funny cause its true trying to decide if you will like something based on some made up numbers is probably insanity in itself.

Edit- Oh I also wanted to add I thought the latest tales of heart R review was perfect. He mentioned the things he didn't like about the game and the score actually reflected it. It may not be my opinion or anyone's but if you don't have the stones to  act on how you feel then you are probably just a sheepel.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:33:14 AM by Damacon »

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2014, 03:59:04 PM »
Oh yeah, definitely no offense taken.  I laughed.
—Kurt Vonnegut