Author Topic: Marvel Super-Thread

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
Marvel Super-Thread
« on: October 29, 2014, 11:02:39 AM »
So they went nuts and announced 9 new movies yesterday to be release over the next few years.

Here's what we're getting in addition to the already announced Avengers 2: Ultron:

Avengers Infinity Wars parts 1 and 2
Cap'n America 3: Civil War
Thor 3
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Captain Marvel
The Inhumans
Black Panther
Dr. Strange

The only one I'm not tickled by is Black Panther, because I don't know anything about the character. Would a guy running around in a cat suit be fun? mayhaps

Thoughts?

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: Marvel Super-Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 11:20:34 AM »
My thoughts are that Hollywood needs to fucking relax with the movie release dates three years in advance.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 11:38:39 AM »
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but personally, I think I've become burned out on all of these superhero movies after seeing The Avengers and Iron Man 3. The market is increasingly saturated with these types of films, and I just can't find it in me to want to follow, or care about them anymore.. I'll probably come back to the genre in 10 years or so. I'm assuming around the release of Thor 8 and Aquaman 5. That said, I'm still hoping these up n' cummers don't suck.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:51:32 AM »
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but personally, I think I've become burned out on all of these superhero movies after seeing The Avengers and Iron Man 3. The market is increasingly saturated with these types of films, and I just can't find it in me to want to follow, or care about them anymore.. I'll probably come back to the genre in 10 years or so. I'm assuming around the release of Thor 8 and Aquaman 5. That said, I'm still hoping these up n' cummers don't suck.

That's how trends work.
If something did well, copy it ad nauseam.
We'll get superhero movies until they stop busting the box office.

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 11:54:35 AM »
I absolutely love superhero movies and am totally okay with know three years in advance what I'll get to see. The 10 year old in me will never stop being happy that we're getting a continuous onscreen film universe and that fucking INFINITY WAR is a thing that will happen to mainstream cinema.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 12:12:13 PM »
I absolutely love superhero movies and am totally okay with know three years in advance what I'll get to see. The 10 year old in me will never stop being happy that we're getting a continuous onscreen film universe and that fucking INFINITY WAR is a thing that will happen to mainstream cinema.

Oh, I love the movies and I have no problem with them telling us what's in the pipeline, but to say "This movie is coming out on May 5, 2018 is just... Why? What great Oracle did you talk to that blessed your movie for being ready on that exact day?

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 12:27:37 PM »
The oracle of SHAREHOLDERS AND BOTTOM LINE *scary music.*

Seriously though, while I love what they're doing with the movies and that they aren't totally tone-deaf to their fans, Marvel is still a business. Building that hype machine might seem exhausting, but it also establishes a comfortable framework to build their business forecasts around. I'd imagine it's 100% a business choice.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 12:50:43 PM »
The oracle of SHAREHOLDERS AND BOTTOM LINE *scary music.*

Seriously though, while I love what they're doing with the movies and that they aren't totally tone-deaf to their fans, Marvel is still a business. Building that hype machine might seem exhausting, but it also establishes a comfortable framework to build their business forecasts around. I'd imagine it's 100% a business choice.

This. 

Those dates are probably just out there in order to tell investors when they should expect to get their dumptruck full of money.

Also, as we all know all too well, deadlines like this are missed on the reg in the entertainment industry, so even though I'll skip most of these because I've about had it with the bastardization of the comic book industry (or at least the idealized version of it that I had in my head as a youth) I won't hold my breath for the ones I'm actually looking forward too.

(Still waiting on that Steel sequel...)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:52:43 PM by glassjawsh »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »
There's also the ever persisting problem regarding aging and actor death. The longer movie makers wait, the more likely the stars of the first couple of movies either age out of their roles or pass away.

See also: The early 90s Addams Family movies.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »
They more or less announced that the last two avengers cast will feature people other than the regulars in the limelight.

It doesn't bother me that they're releasing a timeline of when to expect things, and that's nothing new.

That started with the new Star Wars trilogy, which sucked, and continued with LoTR and The Hobbit. LoTR ruled and The Hobbit is great fun.

Seeing the Infinity War come to life will be great because that was the ONLY complete comic compendium I had as a kid. I think Earth-X was the other one I got eventually.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 08:27:06 PM »
Well, first Hobbit was good fun. Second one got really rocky at times.

Anyways, I liked most of the Marvel movies so far...well, the first one in each series at least. Every two has sucked so far, except the X-Men "past" one. Both of those are actually my favorites so far. And Guardians of the Galaxies was so good I actually went out and bought the comics, though I've still yet to read them. I'm glad they're letting us know what's coming down the pipeline, although I'll probably forget what's coming out until a few months before their releases...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 10:25:27 PM »
Well, first Hobbit was good fun. Second one got really rocky at times.

Anyways, I liked most of the Marvel movies so far...well, the first one in each series at least. Every two has sucked so far, except the X-Men "past" one. Both of those are actually my favorites so far. And Guardians of the Galaxies was so good I actually went out and bought the comics, though I've still yet to read them. I'm glad they're letting us know what's coming down the pipeline, although I'll probably forget what's coming out until a few months before their releases...

I feel like the second Hobbit was probably where Jackson + crew either thought they could get away with splitting the movie into 2 or realized that they needed far more time to really dive into the whole Battle of Five Armies thing the way that they would rather than treat it like a footnote (which is more or less exactly what it was to begin with) and further realized that there wasn't a good stopping point for a movie break since again, the Battle of the Five Armies was part of the story's Aesop and not that consequential to the main character Bilbo Baggins. Not helping matters is the elevated importance of both Thorin Oakshield and Legolas, the latter wasn't even involved in the previous versions (or maybe had a brief cameo, idk), and the former is basically the not-so-stealth protagonist now (practically hijacking it from Bilbo at times despite him being the one telling the story since its largely about his role in it, being one of the few survivors of the adventure and all).

Also, the X-Men: Days of Future Past one was done by 20th Century Fox and not by Marvel (since 19XXFox holds the license to make movies based upon Spiderman, Fantastic Four, X-Men and a couple of other things. This incidentally led to a conflict of character rights in regards to Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch since both are X-Men (Magneto's children in fact) and official Avengers (which Marvel Studios holds the license for), which led to both series shoehorning in early cameos of their version of the characters (so now there's two actors and actresses playing Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch respectfully).

And honestly, sequelitis is a problem with Superhero movies in general since the first one is establishing the character and by the second you already know the score, plus the series best villain is usually used for the first movie which leaves the second either running with second stringers (or in the case of Batman; doubling down on villains since he has so many good ones).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 10:35:46 PM »
Slight correction, Sony owns Spider-Man, not Fox.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 12:39:40 AM »
I think studio execs are the ones that wanted 3 hobbits not jackson. As far as those go I have tremendous patience with long movies.

I disagree with the second movies kit being good. Cap'n 2 was leagues better than the first and Thor 2 was solid.  Iron man 2 and 3 were lousy tiho

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 05:50:06 AM »
Marvel is still a business. Building that hype machine might seem exhausting, but it also establishes a comfortable framework to build their business forecasts around. I'd imagine it's 100% a business choice.

If Marvel's business decisions were limited to just enforcing deadlines I wouldn't really have that big of a problem with them, but they often also make direct decisions that make the movies much worse IMO.

Just read/watch, say, Jon Favreau and Mickey Rourke's comments on Iron Man 2 for an example.