Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda Topic (BotW DLC 1 June 30th, DLC 2 later on)

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda Topic (BotW DLC 1 June 30th, DLC 2 later on)
« Reply #330 on: June 26, 2017, 04:31:52 PM »
They can be upgraded. And while it doesn't allow rain traction, upgrading the Climbing Set does cut Stamina usage when you jump which you do a lot of when its raining (I've gotten up to Ruta's resting place before clearing Ruta without needing to chow down through that upgrade (and by having 200+% Stamina Capacity by that point)). But yeah, its often better just to find something else to do when it rains (preferably within the game).

Oh, I know it can be upgraded, I just wish that had been an added bonus. Or they could have had one of the magic Gerudo headbands you can buy stop the rain effect. Those things are pretty much useless otherwise if you've already got a whole costume set.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 26, 2017, 04:53:13 PM »
They can be upgraded. And while it doesn't allow rain traction, upgrading the Climbing Set does cut Stamina usage when you jump which you do a lot of when its raining (I've gotten up to Ruta's resting place before clearing Ruta without needing to chow down through that upgrade (and by having 200+% Stamina Capacity by that point)). But yeah, its often better just to find something else to do when it rains (preferably within the game).

Oh, I know it can be upgraded, I just wish that had been an added bonus. Or they could have had one of the magic Gerudo headbands you can buy stop the rain effect. Those things are pretty much useless otherwise if you've already got a whole costume set.

The Gerudo Accessories should have had different effects given the need to give you effects like Snow/Sand Traction. Giving you something with the ability to give you higher running speeds would've been a godsend for this game, but the closest things you get are the Shekia Gear and the Shadow Link set (and they only work at night).

Then again, that feeling was pretty well captured from Zelda 2 as well (you keep wishing that Link could move faster after awhile, especially in those long ass corridors throughout the game, but he never does).

That said, the one really nice thing about the game is that this is the closest the series has been to recapturing the feeling of desolation from Zeldas 1 & 2 since Zelda 2. Hateno in particular feels like one of those Zelda 2 towns like Mido, Nabooru or Darunia.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 26, 2017, 06:55:22 PM »
Oh for fuck's sake. I officially hate the horses in this game. I am doing the obstacle course right now and my horses are actively trying to sabotage my efforts to get a 1:15 time so I can get them a new saddle. They are regularly sidestepping away from the obstacles when I appear to be hitting them head on at the proper speed. I've managed to get 1:15.1 with one loop back for a hurdle, but god damn this is annoying. And of course there isn't a simple retry option for when you know you have messed up. >.>

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 26, 2017, 07:24:57 PM »
Oh for fuck's sake. I officially hate the horses in this game. I am doing the obstacle course right now and my horses are actively trying to sabotage my efforts to get a 1:15 time so I can get them a new saddle. They are regularly sidestepping away from the obstacles when I appear to be hitting them head on at the proper speed. I've managed to get 1:15.1 with one loop back for a hurdle, but god damn this is annoying. And of course there isn't a simple retry option for when you know you have messed up. >.>

What kind of horse are you doing this with? Because I did it with a solid blue horse with 3 stars in Speed and 4 stars in Stamina with relatively little difficulty.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 26, 2017, 07:30:39 PM »
Using the giant horse. Time is not an issue for me at the moment. The problem is my horse dodging gate that I see no reason it should be dodging. And finally got it and 1.5 hours later with a time of 1:11.28. Had to run the course backwards, but finally done. Now for the mounted archery course...at some later point in time. >.>

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 26, 2017, 07:31:39 PM »
^ it would seem... to make sense thematically that a giant horse would have issues with nimbly navigating an obstacle course would it not?

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 26, 2017, 08:01:36 PM »
^ it would seem... to make sense thematically that a giant horse would have issues with nimbly navigating an obstacle course would it not?

Given that my Giant Horse has shit for Speed and nothing at all for Stamina, I kinda assume that its not meant to be a race horse.

What you should try doing next time is bringing and using The Lord of the Mountain. You won't want for Speed nor Stamina (though you'll probably want for a horse that they'll let you ride as anything more than a silly Easter Egg).

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 26, 2017, 09:48:40 PM »
Well thing is that the faster the horse, the more likely I would be to make errors as I have less room to correct any errors I make. So while I might have had more margin to make up for errors, I also would have been making them a lot more had I been using my other faster horse (Epona).

Given that my Giant Horse has shit for Speed and nothing at all for Stamina, I kinda assume that its not meant to be a race horse.

What you should try doing next time is bringing and using The Lord of the Mountain. You won't want for Speed nor Stamina (though you'll probably want for a horse that they'll let you ride as anything more than a silly Easter Egg).
Why would there be a next time? O.o

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 27, 2017, 11:11:15 PM »
Well anyway I hope it's now legal to say that I still like TP better.

I mean it did the open world thing better than Ocarina for the most part, with the exception of some tiny bits.

Breaths Open world is just too darn big honestly, for my tastes. For the purposes of general enjoyment though I'm quite satisfied.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 01, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »

I'm with you here. TP is probs my favorite Zelda that I've played which isn't too popular of an opinion. The dungeons in BotW just didn't do it for me. They were really short and easy. Some of the shrines were really cool but the majority of them weren't interesting.

The exploration and art design in BotW were fantastic though. I got the season pass so I'm hoping the DLC is pretty cool.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 01, 2017, 11:32:31 PM »

I'm with you here. TP is probs my favorite Zelda that I've played which isn't too popular of an opinion. The dungeons in BotW just didn't do it for me. They were really short and easy. Some of the shrines were really cool but the majority of them weren't interesting.

The exploration and art design in BotW were fantastic though. I got the season pass so I'm hoping the DLC is pretty cool.

Yeah murdering dungeons effectively, possibly the most iconic element of the Zelda series in BOTW was a major mistake.

But honestly Breath of the Wild was still a really fun game, it just doesn't hold a candle to TP in my mind.

I think the future is bright though, Nintendo just has to get itself together and all that.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 02, 2017, 07:12:09 AM »
I guess I might as well give a slight update hereon my progress. 7 zones cleared of all Korok (I think I have more than half now?), 2 Divine Beasts freed, and I expect to finally claim the Master Sword later today. I still do not get what made this game get such rave reviews.

First DLC is out. Has some useful items, and if you think the game was too easy then I hears Trial of the Sword is a good challenge (I have yet to try it) and Master Mode apparently ups the enemy difficulty a bit. Only things from the DLC I have actually used are Phantom Armor (which is a good armor if you don't have any twice upgraded armors) and Majora's Mask (which is incredibly useful for just ignoring most humanoid enemies).

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 02, 2017, 07:04:58 PM »
The game got rave reviews because they admitted finally that almost everything Nintendo has done for like 20 years has been garbage.

Honestly this is gaming like late 80s to mid late 90s it's ok.

Then it all turns into pure neo-nazi filth.

Then they're like wow that's dumb, lets not do that anymore.

When it's not neo-nazi, it really is quite interesting and great though, so I think that may have been the product of external circumstances rather than internal wishes on the part of Nintendo/Blizzard etc, and why I've supported them as best I can over the years...

To be honest I think it was primarily a lot of game reviewers casual fans etc that wanted to turn gaming into something else, and so Zelda was heading towards the shitter, then they all turned abrupt face and were like whoa no no please don't do what we're saying! The result is Breath of the Wild desperately patched together to be even playable, when it's one of the worst Zelda games ever.

But they're saying TEN OUT OF TEN TEN OUT OF TEN in order to save the series from total collapse and make amends for their overwhelmingly stupid everything.

Anyway, I think the Zelda after BOTW could be quite amazing...

It was identical with Legion from Blizzard.. they ripped that series hard left and hard right because of the germany-fetish (Warlords of Draenor? The True Horde? A gazillion edgy as heck characters and storylines refined around being even more edgy?)

But then the fans realized that was like really stupid and un-fun and so they let go at the last seconds to try and let Blizzard/Nintendo be themselves so both games are just barely, barely, barely playable/worst in their respective franchises by a zillion miles, but also acknowldegements of failures and promises to go in a completely different direction.

And the fans are bending over themselves backwards to support them with incredible zeal in order to avoid the collapse, because if they do collapse then they share the blame for the stupidity that happened.

A lot of this was based on millennials lacking access to higher education, usually paying for college and/or graduate school, and therefore being unable to learn the simple fact which is that actually there is no need to re-tell 90% of the stories in history. Germany and germans are psychotically evil done and that's that, there's no "oh but we need to redeem or justify." WW2 was exactly what it was, period, the end, it will always be that and that's the end.

Like most of comics have stupid as shit characters like Wonder Woman, Batman, dipshit, I don't know their names, but I'm pretending to care 90% of the time because it's all so novel for some reason and never been touched by a Zelda 1 because it's been buried in 20 years of nonsense about how cool it is to be a tree hugging hippie assassin that wants to shag a cow with a giant hammer that crushes every other thing because it's how his fathers fathers father did it, and none of these people give one flying bagel about the fact that there's an imminent meteoric nuclear attack from space demons who are here to completely eat and devour every other thing that doesn't do exactly as they command.

I don't know where I was going with that, but you can spare me the whole "being psychotically weird block/unblock speech" because really it's ok I consider that the least of my problems that I am occasionally pinned into weird categories on internet forums as opposed to every other thing like the insane mistreatment from every other person that can't think of attractive plus smart as a character archetype and are instead content to masturbate effervescently into infinity on zillion year old ideas and stereotypes. 

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:21:04 PM by Artimicia »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 02, 2017, 09:10:06 PM »
Are you... Godwin's Law-ing Nintendo and Blizzard?

Like... that post is full on crazypants. I'm not trying to be confrontational or anything... but you have to know just how NUTS that rant was. I don't even know where to start to try and digest anything you just said.

And yeah, I did read to the last paragraph, but I'm still gonna leave this comment.
Again, not being confrontational. You keep being you, nothing wrong with that at all.

Just... wow.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 09:12:59 PM by Klutz64 »

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 03, 2017, 12:53:50 AM »
Are you... Godwin's Law-ing Nintendo and Blizzard?

Like... that post is full on crazypants. I'm not trying to be confrontational or anything... but you have to know just how NUTS that rant was. I don't even know where to start to try and digest anything you just said.

And yeah, I did read to the last paragraph, but I'm still gonna leave this comment.
Again, not being confrontational. You keep being you, nothing wrong with that at all.

Just... wow.

And all this after saying TP was a favorite. Don't get me wrong, I like TP, but it was one of the worst offenders of outdated game design.