Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda Topic (BotW DLC 1 June 30th, DLC 2 later on)  (Read 120528 times)

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda Topic (Latest: TP amiibo dungeon [is awful]!)
« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2016, 02:46:48 AM »
Also somewhat unrelated but did anyone here play Four Swords Adventure? Was it any fun?

Your mileage will vary depending on how many people you can get to play it with and how tolerant you are about slaying your friendships with your playmates.

It works perfectly fine for singleplayer and is a rather entertaining if straightforward experience, a solid 2D Zelda-style dungeon crawler and one of the better Zelda games.

With four people, it is the legendary Four Swords Adventure of friendships' bane (much like every other competitive Nintendo game ever released) and if you can set it up you should record your play session while you play to post on Youtube for the hilarity of watching and listening as you and your buddies backstab the hell out of each other until someone finally snaps/you manage to make it through the end and emerge from the wreckage of your shared experience for posterity's sake. Especially since trying to play the game with multiple people on physical hardware is probably a once-in-a-lifetime experience since you need at least a TV, a functional Gamecube, the game itself, and as many GBAs as there are players (up to 4) + functional GBA/GBN Link Cables for each (on top of the backstabbing).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 09, 2016, 02:54:02 AM »
Also somewhat unrelated but did anyone here play Four Swords Adventure? Was it any fun?

Your mileage will vary depending on how many people you can get to play it with and how tolerant you are about slaying your friendships with your playmates.

It works perfectly fine for singleplayer and is a rather entertaining if straightforward experience, a solid 2D Zelda-style dungeon crawler and one of the better Zelda games.

With four people, it is the legendary Four Swords Adventure of friendships' bane (much like every other competitive Nintendo game ever released) and if you can set it up you should record your play session while you play to post on Youtube for the hilarity of watching and listening as you and your buddies backstab the hell out of each other until someone finally snaps/you manage to make it through the end and emerge from the wreckage of your shared experience for posterity's sake. Especially since trying to play the game with multiple people on physical hardware is probably a once-in-a-lifetime experience since you need at least a TV, a functional Gamecube, the game itself, and as many GBAs as there are players (up to 4) + functional GBA/GBN Link Cables for each (on top of the backstabbing).

Yeah I never played it back when... but I did play Super smash circa Gamecube era all with controllers etc TV, and that was pretty brutal.

For some reason, playing F-zero was completely just fun and carefree, but SSBM was t-boned.

Anyway, I think my plan was to just go with the SP at any rate. I never played Minish Cap or Four Swords for whatever reason.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:55:36 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 09, 2016, 04:17:40 AM »

Yeah I never played it back when... but I did play Super smash circa Gamecube era all with controllers etc TV, and that was pretty brutal.

For some reason, playing F-zero was completely just fun and carefree, but SSBM was t-boned.

Anyway, I think my plan was to just go with the SP at any rate. I never played Minish Cap or Four Swords for whatever reason.

I should note that there are two Four Swords games out there. Four Swords Anniversary Edition is the standalone version of the Four Swords game that came with the GBA port of A Link to the Past and is a much weaker game (though the Anniversary Edition version improves greatly improves upon the original by adding newer and better stages than the GBA aLttP/FS version).

As for Minish Cap, it is a good game but only an okay Zelda game. The Overworld is a bit too on-rails/puzzle setpiece-y and the difficulty curve is literally non-existent (there's exactly one spike and his name rhymes with Batti), and the game does some weird and occasionally stupid things with some of the items (there's at least one permanently missable upgrade with another only available in the post-game where the game's post-game consists of getting that item and filling out the last of the Figurines, doing the latter of which unlocks both the game's soundtest and the last Piece of Heart).

Also, you only need a GameCube Controller to play FSA by yourself since there's no reason for the TV screen to not show where you are at the moment and thus does.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 09, 2016, 04:37:34 AM »

I should note that there are two Four Swords games out there. Four Swords Anniversary Edition is the standalone version of the Four Swords game that came with the GBA port of A Link to the Past and is a much weaker game (though the Anniversary Edition version improves greatly improves upon the original by adding newer and better stages than the GBA aLttP/FS version).

As for Minish Cap, it is a good game but only an okay Zelda game. The Overworld is a bit too on-rails/puzzle setpiece-y and the difficulty curve is literally non-existent (there's exactly one spike and his name rhymes with Batti), and the game does some weird and occasionally stupid things with some of the items (there's at least one permanently missable upgrade with another only available in the post-game where the game's post-game consists of getting that item and filling out the last of the Figurines, doing the latter of which unlocks both the game's soundtest and the last Piece of Heart).

Also, you only need a GameCube Controller to play FSA by yourself since there's no reason for the TV screen to not show where you are at the moment and thus does.

Ah, the ever knowledgeable Aeolus to the rescue!

And Vaati I presume...

Well it sounds like maybe I'd want to give the original FSA a shot then.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 18, 2016, 08:31:24 AM »
Some fan arts and images I discovered whilist meandering the internets the other day... not to add anything really just thought they were cool.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 12:20:59 PM by Artimicia »

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2016, 10:51:24 AM »
Zelda U is delayed again. Confirmed to be coming to NX and Wii U. NX release date will be in March 2017. Zelda U will be playable at this year's E3.

Definitely not unexpected, but still disappointing to say the least.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/27/zelda-wii-u-delayed-to-2017-also-coming-to-nx

Aeolus

• View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda Topic (Latest: NX title delayed to '17)
« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2016, 12:10:04 PM »
Given the most recent console Zelda titles and what's been shown thus far, the more time they have to work on this, the better.

Hopefully, the NX announcement doesn't mean that the dev team will now have to drop what they were originally going for to shoehorn in the NX's new controller mechanics into Zelda Wii U/NX (like they did with Twilight Princess).

IhaveFURY

• Administrator
  • Draw! Monster cardo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2016, 12:21:10 PM »
Dang, I just realized that the Wii U doesn't really have a Zelda to call its own. That's... kind of sad. Wii U's going to be an interesting chapter in Nintendo's history.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2016, 12:41:41 PM »
Given the most recent console Zelda titles and what's been shown thus far, the more time they have to work on this, the better.

Hopefully, the NX announcement doesn't mean that the dev team will now have to drop what they were originally going for to shoehorn in the NX's new controller mechanics into Zelda Wii U/NX (like they did with Twilight Princess).

This is my major concern as well. Who knows what they're going for with NX, but I'm honestly unsure as to whether or not they'd do the Wii U Game Pad screen again given the Wii U's failure.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2016, 01:14:49 PM »

This is my major concern as well. Who knows what they're going for with NX, but I'm honestly unsure as to whether or not they'd do the Wii U Game Pad screen again given the Wii U's failure.

According to Nintendo the two versions have been in development in tandem, so I'm not too worried about any kind of shoehorning.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2016, 02:21:55 PM »
Mmm that artwork.  Nintendo artists make it look easy

Dang, I just realized that the Wii U doesn't really have a Zelda to call its own. That's... kind of sad. Wii U's going to be an interesting chapter in Nintendo's history.

It had like a few bright and beautiful shining stars....amidst a dark sky and a city of shining lights below.... or something.  Point is, it had some gems, but ouch, this was like watching a slow trainwreck.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

IhaveFURY

• Administrator
  • Draw! Monster cardo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2016, 03:30:17 PM »

It had like a few bright and beautiful shining stars....amidst a dark sky and a city of shining lights below.... or something.  Point is, it had some gems, but ouch, this was like watching a slow trainwreck.

I mean, I love my Wii U, and I feel like I got a lot of use out of it, but it sucks to see it thrown under the bus.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 27, 2016, 09:19:28 PM »

I mean, I love my Wii U, and I feel like I got a lot of use out of it, but it sucks to see it thrown under the bus.

That 2nd screen is so great for RPGs and would be great for a FE. Also despite its bulk I really like the feel of the controller. Its a shame they'll probably jettison it for a 3rd party compatible machine.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 30, 2016, 03:17:57 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Wii U is kind of on target to sell about as many as the gamecube as far as I can tell....

Anyway, I can't honestly say I'm surprised or whatever necessarily that the Wii U wasn't a smashing success in many ways I think it just boils down to like, it's been 30 years now that's a LOT of Mario and Zelda and such. It might not be "Oh, I don't like it" it could just be, I am tired of X, etc.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:12:43 AM by Artimicia »

Perigryn

• Infrequent, but still here.
  • Contributing Editor
  • Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 02, 2016, 02:01:10 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Wii U is kind of on target to sell about as many as the gamecube as far as I can tell....

Anyway, I can't honestly say I'm surprised or whatever necessarily that the Wii U wasn't a smashing success in many ways I think it just boils down to like, it's been 30 years now that's a LOT of Mario and Zelda and such. It might not be "Oh, I don't like it" it could just be, I am tired of X, etc.
That's fair to say.

I'm not concerned either, as was said, they've been worked in tandem and I think more time means more quality.

It does bite that the Wii U has been, commercially and critically, thrown under the bus a lot in its development. Unfortunately, that's the price to pay for taking a risk. Nintendo tried something new, and I found it really worked, even if it was under-utilized. Really, they've done more with 'tablet integration' then Microsoft or Sony did, really. At least here it interacted with the games, instead of just being further information or whatever.
I'm sad to see it go without anyone really unlocking its true potential, as it seems even Nintendo didn't really know what it had on its hands.

But, that being said, they could do the same backwards compatibility they did and have the gamepad function with the NX, so we'll see.

Either way, new LoZ is going to be a thrilling thing - we'll definitely see more of the same, no doubt, but I think they're really going to try to innovate in a positive way, here. They've seen things work well in the past, but I also think they're beginning to clue in to the fact that nostalgia may not be enough. That the audience's tastes can only handle the same thing so much.
I hope.
Just Greg, thanks.